Council tax errors with Glasgow CC

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5041 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone - can someone help me?

Ok - little background info.

Got into trouble last year with council tax - mum in law paid it when the council refused to accept our payment plan and issued us with sherrif officer thing.

So - £2700 later, council tax paid and everyone happy.

In august that year i had started college, either college or council hadnt sent/done forms properly for discount and in april this year i got our council tax info saying we only need to pay £841.86 starting in august.

I phoned up and made sure that it was correct - they said they had just recieved the college forms and applied the discount as a whole, and this was correct and logged.

Today i got a letter from them again, but with a starting date of july and with an extra £500 added onto my bill.

The other worry is that again in august i become a student again, so the discount will need to be applied for again - will this be taken into consideration?

Any ideas?

Obviously im going to fight this as im still unemployed and my husband is on sickness (with no benefits) due to surgery.

seriously not happy but need a guiding hand

Edited by gryffen
extra info added

If your college course is a continuous course then you should still get the exemption for the summer period as well.

However, if your course finishes in the summer and you will be starting a new course in August then you would be liable for CT during the break in between. This is because you will not be enrolled at the college between when your old course finishes and the next one begins.

When I was at Uni I had to get a certificate from them and hand it in to the Council for each year.

Basically what has happened according to them is that when they took full payment for outstanding they had no record for me being a student from the college.

A few months later, the college sends stuff off and in April i get the letter showing what im due to pay.

The people think that since i am due a student discount for august to april 2010, thats wat has been applied.

Oh i know im due to pay councl tax forthe summer thats fine, but they are not allowed to just add money onto an account for no reason, and with less than a month to sort out our finances.

Got an interview tomorrow with consumer aid and council tomorrow as its their mixup and im not paying that extra 500 quid just cause they say so..