Received faulty goods from seller abroad - Paypal protection?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a set of xenon lights for my car from a seller based in China through their website and when they were installed the colour of the bulbs didnt match - as in the two sets of bulbs had different colours to each other. Anyway the seller has admitted they are faulty (i've set them pictures to show), but they want me to return the faulty bulb at my expense and refuse to pay return postage. Only then will they will send me a replacement. I know that under UK selling regulations, the seller should pay for the return postage, but i'm unclear what the rules are for foreign sellers.

Also, as I paid through paypal (linked through their website), will I have any protection from them?

No, but you do from eBay. Report it as 'Not as Described', and advise the seller that if they send return postage, you;ll be happy to return. If not, you;ll need to raise a dispute with eBay (which then leads to a PayPal refund). Don't delay, you only have 45 days from purchase.

Yes, go to PayPal, I don't believe their protection is as strong as eBay's but there is nothing to lose. UK Consumer Law does;nt apply to non EU sales, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I raised the dispute through paypal a few weeks ago just escalated the case to a claim as the seller wasnt responding. The case was immediately closed though as paypals policy is:

We're unable to decide this claim in your favour at this time. PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy applies to the delivery of goods but not to disputes about merchandise quality.

Really cheesed off with this. Whats the point going through all the stages and waiting weeks if theres nothing they can do. The buyer protection policy they advertise is not worth it.

I know that under UK selling regulations, the seller should pay for the return postage, but i'm unclear what the rules are for foreign sellers.

There is no particular law to the effect that a seller should pay to return goods. This is rather implied by laws to the effect that there is no duty to return rejected goods, unless agreed.

A buyer is also entitled to resort to a court of law where the goods are delivered; this is an international rule, generally agreed, but the enforcement of it is of course another matter.

You could try to explain that to a Chinese seller but I am not going to speculate about the outcome. A huge proportion of the goods that arrive from China are counterfeit anyway.

Caveat emptor, and the same goes for Paypal. If only those who use it were to read the terms and conditions before they subscribe .....

:mad: