Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder kungfuman Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jan 2008

Default Received faulty goods from seller abroad - Paypal protection?

I bought a set of xenon lights for my car from a seller based in China through their website and when they were installed the colour of the bulbs didnt match - as in the two sets of bulbs had different colours to each other. Anyway the seller has admitted they are faulty (i've set them pictures to show), but they want me to return the faulty bulb at my expense and refuse to pay return postage. Only then will they will send me a replacement. I know that under UK selling regulations, the seller should pay for the return postage, but i'm unclear what the rules are for foreign sellers.

Also, as I paid through paypalicon (linked through their website), will I have any protection from them?

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

Default Re: Received faulty goods from seller abroad - Paypal protection?

No, but you do from eBay. Report it as 'Not as Described', and advise the seller that if they send return postage, you;ll be happy to return. If not, you;ll need to raise a dispute with eBay (which then leads to a paypalicon refund). Don't delay, you only have 45 days from purchase.

Cagger since
    Jan 2008

but the purchase was not through ebay but through the sellers website which accepts paypalicon. so do I start a dispute straight away with paypal instead?

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

Yes, go to paypalicon, I don't believe their protection is as strong as eBay's but there is nothing to lose. UK Consumer Law does;nt apply to non EU sales, unfortunately.

Cagger since
    Jan 2008

Well I raised the dispute through paypalicon a few weeks ago just escalated the case to a claim as the seller wasnt responding. The case was immediately closed though as paypals policy is:

We're unable to decide this claim in your favour at this time. PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy applies to the delivery of goods but not to disputes about merchandise quality.

Really cheesed off with this. Whats the point going through all the stages and waiting weeks if theres nothing they can do. The buyer protection policy they advertise is not worth it.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE