Car Insurance- Is this TECHNICALLY legal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok first of all, if you are a squeeky clean rich person you may leave now as this may upset you. :)

I'm just wondering if this is "technically" possible. I am a young father and times are tough at the moment, I have to drive 30 minutes to work every morning and evening and need a good well structured car as my current 2000 Astra is giving me nothing but problems. We all know car insurance for under 24's is a rip-off for those like myself who drive responsibly.

Is it possible to keep my insurance for my current Astra (comprehensive) and get a bigger car (like a jeep or a good 4x4), put it in my partner/father/mothers name and drive under third party even though the car has no insurance?

I have called my insurance company and asked them is it possible for me to drive another car third party, they said it was...

I went online and got quotes of £3000+ for it, which is impossible for me to afford. I'm not wanting to do this to be able to speed around in a ferrari, I just think it's completely ridiculous the prices. I have 2 years no claims bonus.

Thanks.

Technically yes, if the other car is not registered in your name and you have an insurance policy that allows you to drive cars not owned or registered by you (Driving Other Vehicles extension). That will give you third party cover on the other car.

Reality, the first time you have a claim your insurers will employ a raft of behind the scenes resources, you have a very very high chance of being detected and caught out and then your policy will be declared null and void, you will have to refund any money they paid out to a third party, and you will then have to disclose this to any potential future insurer (who will either decline you or load the premium).

I'm not about to divulge on a public forum exactly how insurers sense/detect/investigate fronting, but trust me it isn't worth doing it these days.

Mossy

Technically yes, if the other car is not registered in your name and you have an insurance policy that allows you to drive cars not owned or registered by you (Driving Other Vehicles extension). That will give you third party cover on the other car.

Reality, the first time you have a claim your insurers will employ a raft of behind the scenes resources, you have a very very high chance of being detected and caught out and then your policy will be declared null and void, you will have to refund any money they paid out to a third party, and you will then have to disclose this to any potential future insurer (who will either decline you or load the premium).

I'm not about to divulge on a public forum exactly how insurers sense/detect/investigate fronting, but trust me it isn't worth doing it these days.

Mossy

Thanks for the tip and help. My friend done this with his Lotus, he insured under a clio and drove his Lotus Elise, i'm not wanting to do that but he got away with it for years legally. He was always getting stopped by the police however...

I just need a bigger and more dependable car.

Whilst it is legal for you to drive other cars (ie those not owned or registered to you) what you need to bear in mind is that detection techniques have become a lot more sophisticated and integrated.

From your original post I can see at least 3 things that you have done that would trigger 'fronting' alarm bells if I was the claims handler.

Mossy

Hi Jay. I think I'm right in saying [and Mossy and others will correct me if I'm wrong, that this could amount to 'fronting' or similar. A read around this forum will show you what other caggers have gone through.

If I'm right about fronting when the others comment, scroll up to the top of your thread and type in 'fronting' in the Search this Forum box, to bring up previous threads.

Mossy is right, insurance companies have huge resources, which they sometimes pool, so it could be stacked against you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Find an old car like a diesel Volvo 850 in good condition which no one will want to steal. It may be a big old car but at least the insurance premium will drop until youa re 25! Can be any other similar car not associated with boy racers and thieves.

Be careful - please check your policy documents.

Most of the time the `driving other vehicles on a third party only basis` will be subject to the vehicle being BOTH OWNED AND INSURED by someone else at the time of use.

Often it will also exclude the use of hired/ rented/ loaned vehicles, etc. If there are clauses such as these you may need to re-think your plan.

Absoloutely. You are never covered to drive an uninsured vehicle.

That's complete rubbish

Most policies state 'Insured to drive a vehicle not owned or registered by the policyholder', whether or not that vehicle has any other insurance is irrelevent.

Mossy

• 2 weeks later...
Also of course it is 3rd party cover whilst driving. If you leave it parked at the shops or on the street there is no cover in place.

Therefore you would be leaving the vehicle uninsured on a public highway.

Actually it's whilst in charge of and not physically driving. If you are driving under the DOV cover and you park up and go shopping you were the last driver so you are still covered, if it was whilst physically driving then it would be totally impractical.

Mossy