credit reference checks through estate agents

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i currently rent a property through an estate agent. the monthly rent is £500pcm. I am due to move house as I have another baby on the way (my 3rd) when we rented this property, we had to go through the reference checks with the estate agent. We passed, but i am unsure how! anyway we may have found a house for £525pcm, but we have to go through the same credit reference checks but through a different company. However, i am extremely nervous about whether i will pass or not. My husband does not work, I work 30 hours a week, and my salary is £9140 per annum, but including tax credits etc we have a total of around 18000 per annum. We have a poor credit history - my husband has a CCJ which was issued just short of 5 years ago, and i made some mistakes when i was younger regarding credit. We do have a guarantor, who earns more than 30k a year, and he has a great credit history, but i am worried this will not be enough to pass. The reference checks go through Homelet. Has anyone been in a similar situation, or does anyone have any advice? I am about to pay the fees tomorrow, and i would appreciate any advice offered. Thank You

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Assuming you have paid the current rent without incident and the property has been well maintained by you, again, without any great incident, then, personally, would suggest that you speak with your current Agent, explain the situation (less the We passed, but i am unsure how! comment perhaps) and ask if they could be kind enough to provide a written reference for you too, as you need to move (worse case scenario they may, perhaps, be aware of another property that is suitable for you too)

If they say yes, get a copy of that to the new Agent, explaining, briefly, the background as to why you are keen to move and keen to provide good references.

With a good/nice reference from another Agent and, in particular, a guarantor in place you should then seem a safe bet.

There is no way of knowing how the new Agent will react, and some may say do nothing at this stage, but, for whatever it is worth, it seems best that you prepare for the worst, whilst, here, hoping for the best.

It's been a couple of years since had to get involved in Credit Checks and fully appreciate how things change, especially with pressure on everyone to cut costs/be cautious, but...

...as much as you can never tell, you should be fine, especially with a guarantor, so look forward to hearing this all gets sorted for you.

• Haha 1

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)