Scottish council Tax Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya, after some advice please

I will start from the beginning. In 2008 I received a letter stating I was due x amount in council tax from the periods 2002 - 2005. These missing periods were when I became a student. At the time I had filled out all the correct forms, but the council obviously hadn't put them thru the system. So back in 2008 I got copies of the letters from the college stating I was a full time student during these periods, sent them to the council office and never heard another thing from them - Until March this year. Where they are again saying I'm due council tax between the periods of 2002 - 2005. After getting more information from them I have now discovered they asking for money for the period’s in-between when I was a student i.e. summer holidays and a few months before I became an official student. Fair enough but I signed on during these periods and claimed council tax benefit. Which after more E-mails back and forth, they said this has already been deducted from the amount I am due. So now I am lost as how come I still have to pay money, is that right? I always thought that if you signed on then you didn't have to pay any council tax? Also how do I know for sure they have deducted these amounts from the bill and as I was living on my own, should I have single persons discount on there as well? I haven't asked about this yet but I think I will ask them just to make sure it’s been included. Its not that I'm unwilling to pay it if it is right but I'm just not sure if it is, I feel like I'm getting conned or missing something that I should ask and if I don’t ask it then they aren’t going to tell me, if you know what I mean. Lol Have I done everything right & should I just call it a day and pay or is there anymore I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help about this. :)

Edited by 666flo

It does not always follow that all your Council Tax will be paid by Council Tax benefit if you are on other benefits. It depends on your total income, household details, etc. You can request details of what amount of CTB was paid into your Council Tax account. I would ask both the Council Tax department how much they received and the Benefits department how much money you were entitlted to over the periods to check that the amounts match.

• 4 weeks later...