How to Deal with Car Insurance Write Off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5047 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How to Deal with Car Insurance Write Off

Hi

My Problem

I had my car stolen and damaged by the burglar maybe during the chase or before the chase to recover the car.

The Car is drivable, as i drove it from the police impound to home.

It took the insurance company maybe 4 or 5 days to conclude that the car is a total loss.

My Car

Mercedes-Benz C180 Elegance (W202)

Year 1998

Reg: R

Mileage: 120,000 Miles (approx)

Only 1 Owner (Me)

IMAGES OF MY DAMAGED CAR

My Insurance Company

More Than (Feb 2010 to Feb 2011) Fully Paid

Fully Comprehensive Cover

Max No Claim Bonus Protection

Legal Assistance Plan

Travel Accident Pan

I need advice on how to deal with the insurance company with this.

This car is precious to me as any car would be to their owner.

It is more than a matter of monetary value but more of convenience.

The car drove perfectly like a dream, even though it is old.

The problem is, the money I will get from the insurance company, i don't believe it will be enough to buy an other car.

I want to ask what is the best way to deal with the insurance company to make sure i get the best deal.

And MORE importantly is it possible to get the money from the write off AND get my car back to repair it privately, AND Continue my insurance with them till end of the policy?

I don't mind buying a new car, but i doubt they will offer enough money for a replacement car.

Edited by xiaokai
Put Solved in Title

in regards to can you keep the vehicle and repair etc, will all be down to the motor engineer and what catagory write off it will be, A,B is scrap & spares, C & D is repairable. I know some companys will have a different process on re-insuring total losses,your existing insurer may carry on the cover if its a C or D and you retain it,but will possibly drop the cover to TPO until the car is repaired and they have evidence that the car has been repaired and has been to VIC centre and obtained a certificate.

The car may have been declaired a total loss because the cost of repair exceeded the value of the car. Their costings will be based on replacing body panels with brand new parts+ the cost of fitting and spraying by a proper garage. However many MBs have bolt on wings and you could be lucky to find some at a breaker in the colour you need. As vusys1 says it depends what catagory of write off it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice guys.

They give me more then their first offer.

Cat D write off, i let them have the car because i do not wish the hassle of getting it repaired etc.