Back Dating Rent Rebate/Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi my son was made redundant December 22nd he has never been out of work before. I urged him to sign on but he wouldn`t then I finally got through to him at Easter

When he signed on he was told he would qualify for rent rebate and Council tax rebate as his savings were low they told him the Council would contact him about this

As my son knows nothing about benefits etc he as just sat back and waited for someone to contact him and as continued to pay full private rent and council tax

I do not pry into his affairs as hese 32 but when he mentioned something about he wasn`t getting his rent paid I went mad at him I told him he had been wrongly advised I am sure he should have approached the council and filled rebate forms in?

My son has completed them and sent them in will he get this back dated? :confused:

The good news is he starts work again Tuesday for the rival company to the one he was made redundant from however it`s with an agency I take my hat off to him he said he would get a job and he as I didn`t think he`d find it that easy

They should do away with those HB/CTB form things you fill in at the JobCentre, etc. They are worthless. They do send them on but they sometimes take months to get to the Council which is far too late.

I filled it in and it either said the Council would be in touch or the officer at the JobCentre did so I thought I had done what I needed to do. It was only when a few weeks later a visiting officer from the DWP came round to do a check and asked if there was anything I was having problems with etc, that I found out you needed to fill in an application from the Council.

This was about 11 or 12 years ago and the same problems are still occurring.