• Tweets

• depends what the fees are, typically nothing can be added once judgement is passed bar litigation costs. on document retention time limits etc at least 6yrs previous must be held though many hold complete info. as for acronyms and abbreviations ideally yes they should     
    • Still have to submit a statement either system....if they fail they can only give verbal because they failed to file and serve.
    • OP stated they had been arrested, but not charged (let alone convicted). They DON'T have a criminal record, but do have an entry on the PNC. That information stays on the PNC (Police National Computer) for life, but doesn't get released in a standard DBS. It only MIGHT get released for an Enhanced DBS (eDBS) check  ... but it would be incredibly unlikely. (The rational behind this is that eDBS's allow for 'information at Chief Officer of Police's discretion' ..... this covers the 2 'barring lists' and is also intended for the scenario where someone has multiple arrests or investigations, where safeguarding is a concern .... it was brought in after the Soham murders / Ian Huntley case, where the information known about the now-convicted child murderer may have prevented his employment in a school, had it been made available). So, for the sake of accuracy and completeness, arrests stay on the PNC for life, wont appear in a standard DBS, MIGHT appear in an eDBS, but in reality, would be the exception rather than the norm, and I can't see them being released  to a defense barrister. What then if the defence found out a different way, and brought it up in court?. Again, unlikely, but the important feature is that the judge would make sure they trod very carefully!. They MIGHT consider using it if there were other factors that allowed them to try to cast doubts as to the truthfulness of your evidence, but on its own : No way. Anyone MIGHT be arrested (if a seemingly plausible complaint been made against them)! The approach to take if it did come up is to be truthful. "Yes, I was arrested. It arose from a vexatious complaint. I wasn't charged, let alone convicted. That could happen to any one of us, if a vexatious complaint gets made" Far better that than lying, saying you'd never been arrested, and getting caught in a lie : that would ruin your credibility. I'm incredibly doubtful it will even come up, though.
    • we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Zurich building guarantee claim - liability being passed to others

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i purchased a new build property in 1999 and this came with a 10 year building guarantee from Zurich.

the property was built in 1997 and the certificate has this year as commencement date, but also states the effective date as the purchase date, which in my case is 1999.

fast forward to now and i am making a claim as there are some things which need replacing/damaged etc. I am assuming my guarantee is until 2009, 10 years from my purchase date.

Zurich have refused the claim, saying my policy expired in 2007, because no-one informed them of the sale in 1999. They're saying my solicitor should have done this.

what can i do now, as i was under the impression from the developer that the property came with 10 year warranty and no-one told me otherwise or to register it with Zurich. I simply read the statement which says 'effective from the date of purchase'.

who is at fault, me, my solicitor or the developer? or Zurich?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zurich suggest your solicitor so that's who I would contact. See what they have to say.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

i don't want to start doing extra work for this ...

should i believe everything Zurich tell me?

after the solicitor, they will say developer, then after that there will be no-one.

they'll all pass the buck around, but i want my claim paid, which i'm entitled to.

• 1 year later...

I bought a new build property in August 1999 and made a claim against the 10 year building guarantee in September 2008 as it expired in August 2009 (or so i thought).

The insurance company state that my solicitor did not inform them of the sale in August 1999 and so the policy started from the initial inspection in July 1997 and expired in July 2007 so they will not uphold my claim. If i can provide a copy of the contracts exchange document they will update their records and may look into my claim.

I then chased the solicitor's firm who cannot say anything since they have no file anymore, having destroyed it 2005 (6 years).

I also chased the developer since they're the ones who sold me a house with the guarantee but again because of no documents existing they cannot help me.

I've passed the insurance company to the FOS and the solicitor to the LCS. The developer i have no organisation to refer them to.

LCS have now stated they cannot look into the complaint because the solicitor has no documents to show.

FOS say nothing yet.

So i'm losing a claim through no fault of mine and no-one will accept liability.

Advice please?

Hello there.

You don't have any documents youself then? I haven't checked the LCS or solicitors' rules, but professions have prescribed timescales for keeping documents. Check the one for solicitors, it could answer that query.

Are you talking about an NHBC guarantee [National Housebuilders' etc, etc? I haven't heard of that starting 2 years prior to occupation but then I've never bought a new build.

I have to say I always keep exchange and completion docs myself, because if you have a mortgage, you don't normally have the deeds and this is your proof of ownership.

What about the Land Registry, can they help? They keep records of sales and purchases, don't they? Or if you have a mortgage, maybe they can shed some light on it.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

yes, i'm talking about the 10 year 'NHBC' guarantee but mine was from Zurich. The house was completed in 1997 and that's when the initial cert starts from and is then meant to commence from the date of purchase for the first owner which is me in 1999.

The insurance company say i could have bought the house 'off plan' and completed 2 years later, ridiculous as it sounds. I did not pay a deposit until May 1999 when i first saw the property.

I don't have the contract exchange documents as normally this is done between the solicitors and i'm not sure i was given a copy. I have other letters from the solicitor such as invoices, searches etc.

Land Registry shows the land being transferred to me and the property registered to me in August 1999 with the mortgage starting from the same month. However, this is not enough proof for Zurich.

So do you know what they will accept tifo? HB

at the moment, only the contract exchange documents, which i don't have. But it's clear i when i bought the house though Zurich say that is only for when i completed the purchase and i could have bought 2 years earlier.

FOS are being a bit funny about it, the company's had since Sept 2009 to look into my claim (and hence have passed the 8 weeks allowed) yet they want a final response letter which Zurich have not sent me. I've sent completed forms to the FOS recently for which there's no time limit (only the initial complaint has to be within 6 months of a final response).

yes, i have a receipt for the house deposit paid in May 1999, and a follow up letter saying i've lost it since i didn't complete the purchase within 28 days (the developer stipulated this). I completed the sale in August 1999 with the mortgage, searches and land transfer etc.

i mean the FOS wrote to Zurich in Sept 2009 giving them 8 weeks to respond. They did respond by telling me there is no claim. Now the FOS want a final decision letter but since it's over 8 weeks there's no need and Zurich never sent me anything more. Most communication was by email and telephone.

Sorry, I thought you meant most of the communication about buying the house was by phone or email. I may have tied myself up in knots here.

Can we go back to Zurich wanting proof of when you bought the house, but I don't understand where the paperwork is. I think the time limit for solicitors keeping paperwork is 6 years, but understand best practice is to offer any papers to the client before they're destroyed.

Are you saying that it's all lost? This sounded unusual to me, so I wondered if either the land registry or your mortgage company might hold the documents that would help convince Zurich.

I understand more about mortgages than about NHBC certificates and hope an insurance person might be able to comment.

Guys, please?

HB

land registry or your mortgage company might hold the documents that would help convince Zurich.

This might be something i can look into if they don't pay through the FOS or even while it's being looked at by them.

understand best practice is to offer any papers to the client before they're destroyed.

Are you saying that it's all lost?

I've not heard of this before. Might be worth looking into it. Thanks.

Yes, solicitors are saying it's all been destroyed (gets them off the hook!).

OK tifo, but are you saying that you personally don't have any of the documents relating to your own house purchase? I've bought and sold a few houses and I've always had a 'paper trail' of the buying and selling process. Are you saying you never received these documents or that you had them and didn't keep them, for example?

HB

OK tifo, but are you saying that you personally don't have any of the documents relating to your own house purchase?

I have most of the documents relating to the buying process such as deposit, mortgage, searches, land transfer, registration and completion from all parties concerned. I have a whole file of documents.

What i don't have is a contracts exchange letter. I am not sure my solicitor would have sent me one. I can't find a copy in what i have.

Any reasonable person looking at the documents i have would see that i bought the house in August 1999 because the deposit, mortgage, completion all tie in. But then insurance companies are not reasonable people.

Hi

Zurich are right your policy with them finishes 10 years after the property was completed not 10 years after someone buys it.

I am going through a similiar thing with them at the moment and on the Zurich Policy it completion date/Policy start date.

I bought a new build property 1.5 years after completion date but my 10 year Guarantee finishes at the same time as my neighbour who moved in as soon as property was completed.

The Zurich policy makes no referance to who bought it and at what time etc, its just states the date the building was completed and that is the start date of the policy.

Zurich no longer offer this Guarantee and stopped around 2 years ago so you will face an uphill struggle getting them to re-consider. If you google it it will pull up the contact details you need, There are only 2 people working in this area for Zurich and all they do once a claim is accepted is to pass it onto loss adjustors who then take over the claim.

The Zurich policy may also carry a high excess, what is the issue ? it may be cheaper to rectify yourself. Also if your in a flat it may be worth

checking that your Lanlord is not responsible for the issue. I have found through 5 months of investigating that my Landlord was responsible for the issue all along and was trying to pass the buck onto Zurich.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

thanks majik but your post shows that you have not understood my claim but i'll respond to you anyway.

the policy starts from the date of initial inspection or date of first purchase (whichever is the later) as clearly stated on the certificate. Since i am the first purchaser (i bought from the developer) the policy starts from when i bought it. The policy is in my name. This is accepted by all parties.

Whether they still offer the guarantee on new builds or not does not matter to me as they did when i got it and it was valid for 10 years.

I don't need their contact details from google since i'm already in touch with them on a regular basis.

i don't live in a flat as clearly stated and refer to the HOUSE I BOUGHT with a 10 year warranty so i don't know why you're telling me about your landlord.

as for excess, i don't know if there is one or how much it is but it won't be as high as the cost of the repairs now needed.

In which case they have changed there policy as my states date from completion or date of first purchase whichever is sooner.

In relation to excess there will be one as it is in insurance policy, excess will be clearly stated in policy, mine is currently £1,133 for a 2.5 year old building and as its indexed it rises so nearer the 10 year mark the higher it will be.

i do find it odd that all houses/flats on this developement wouldn't have had guarentee that all started together as that is normal practice as now SHOULD they fix your issue if it effects others too it could be classed as betterment to the detriment of other residents. (Without knowing the problem is hard to guess)

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

In which case they have changed there policy as my states date from completion or date of first purchase whichever is sooner

mine states initial inspection OR date first purchase whichever is the later .....

since the date of first purchase (to me in 1999) was 2 years after the initial inspection (when built in 1997) i am right in what i am saying.

they are just using the excuse to get out of paying. They've done similar repairs to other close by properties so the problems are inherently built into the properties when they were made, i.e. they all have the same problems.

i'm in a difficult position with the claim. Zurich say the solicitor didn't inform them and the solicitor cannot say anything but the LCS say maybe they did send the docs which got lost in the post (thereby taking the solicitors side for no reason). Let's assume the solicitor sent the docs which got lost in the post so Zurich didn't receive them. They are both right and no-one will pay my valid claim?

Do you have a Managing Agent for the whole developement ? If you do contact them and ask why they did not inform you of the issues in other properties. (You stated that other properties have same issue and been fixed.)

Its irrelevant as to whether the Solicitor sent paperwork or not, You have a copy of the Policy and you can prove through your mortgage and through Land Registry when you purchased the property so thats all you need.

Policy does not have YOUR details on it, well mine does not anyway and i bought from developer, Check that your policy does not have the developer listed as first owner (mine did).

Do you have legal assistance on a Home contents policy, if you so inform them and IF they feel you have a case they will cover the legal costs and appoint a solictor to deal with it for you.

Policy does not have YOUR details on it, well mine does not anyway and i bought from developer, Check that your policy does not have the developer listed as first owner (mine did).

My policy has my name on it as first owner.

I didn't buy the house until Aug 1999 so i am wondering why the developer put my name on a policy certificate which is meant to be from July 1997? I didn't think about this before. Will have to check.