Direct Line wont acknowledge my NCD

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5058 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, and thanks for advice in advance.

In 2007 I purchased a new car and changed my insurer to Direct Line.

I contacted my previous insurer and they sent out a notice stating my NCD, it was 5-6 years, something like that, and forwarded it to direct line.

Direct Line a few months later said that they never received it, so I repeated the process and sent it registered mail.

Once again, they never received it.

At this point I leafve the country to work abroad and dont have the opportunity to resolve the matter.

6 months later I renew the policy, despite the problems and try again with the NCD, once again, they dont receive it, they say.

After a few months of this, im off travelling the world again!

Now I return and have the same problems all over again.

Now Direect Line categorically refuse to accept my several years old NCD, despite being claim free for 2 years with them, in addition, and refuse to refund the money they increased my premium too, for me not having a NCD, which I did.

Now, I have spoken to my bank manager, to trace the payments through my account and work out what I have been paying. My Bank Manager told me that as I had signed dirrect debit agreements for the original cost of the premium but had not signed agreements for the amunt direct line increased it too, Direct Line effectively illegally took the money out of my account and under the "Direct Debit Agreement" I can claim back the overcharges.

However, he suggested I contact the insurance ombudsman before going this route, but he would be glad to help if that did not work.

Does anyone have any ideas how I should continue in way that gets me my overcharges (about £1800) back, and does not lose me my previous 6 years NCD, nor the 2 years NCD with Direct Line.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Andrew is right. You need to make a formal complaint to Direct Line in writing. If you don't have a copy of their complaints procedure, check if it's online, or ask them for a copy.

You may find once your complaint has gone up the food chain there that you don't need the fos, but that's where you go if you don't like the answer from Direct Line to a written complaint.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

your bank manager may also be giving you the wrong info, despite you signing the original mandate you would have received letters from DL confirming the increase in installments due to the removal of the NCD discount and would then be applying for these increased payments.

your bank manager may also be giving you the wrong info, despite you signing the original mandate you would have received letters from DL confirming the increase in installments due to the removal of the NCD discount and would then be applying for these increased payments.

The bank manager may not be giving the wrong info. Under the direct debit rules, no installment can be incresaed without notifying the account holder in under (i think) 10 days prior to the installment being due. If this has happened, the account holder is due a refund in addition to any charges incurred by the account holder in the event of the increased amount causing him to exceed his overdraft limit.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

DL procedure is that they chase the NCD for upto 90 days,then a final letter advising of the increase and that this will be applied in 14 days and the DD adjusted accordingly and a new credit agreement issued advising of the revised installments.

DL procedure is that they chase the NCD for upto 90 days,then a final letter advising of the increase and that this will be applied in 14 days and the DD adjusted accordingly and a new credit agreement issued advising of the revised installments.

Yes but according to the OP, he hasn't had this 'letter' so under DD rules, the installments cannot be increased. The OP has also even written to DL by registered post so DL are in the wrong here in my opinion and from my past experiences with them, i'm not suprised!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

DL will need to tell the OP why they are refusing to accept the NCD,he states that the ncd is "several years old" I know DL will only accept within the last 2 years. What is also a suprise is how the OP has allowed to go on for 3 years. DL have issued renewals based on the info they had and the OP has accepted these terms, I think the FOS would side with the insurer if this went further. But I would be interested to know why DL are not accepting the ncd, they will send a letter stating why it does not meet their requirements.

DL will need to tell the OP why they are refusing to accept the NCD,he states that the ncd is "several years old" I know DL will only accept within the last 2 years. What is also a suprise is how the OP has allowed to go on for 3 years. DL have issued renewals based on the info they had and the OP has accepted these terms, I think the FOS would side with the insurer if this went further. But I would be interested to know why DL are not accepting the ncd, they will send a letter stating why it does not meet their requirements.

Where does it say that the 'OP has accepted these terms'? The DD issue isn't just an insurance one. DD terms apply to every such agreement where by installments cannot be increased without prior notice to the account holder which I believe is at least 10 days before the date of the installment. The FOS would have to follow the rules and if DL have not complied with them then they could not 'side with the insurer'.

Having said that, I too am suprised that this has been going on for 3 years although DL would have to recognize the OPs NCB from the date he first provided it or at lease from the date he sent the proof by registered mail. I am assuming of course that the OP can provide the necessary proof of posting.

Please Note

Hi,

Sorry I didnt reply for a while.

I have copies of the original agreements with the NCB but no copies of other increased payment notices.

I have contacted Direct Line previously of many occaisions, by phone primarily, and never got anywhere, I have one copy of my original letter from my previous insurers left, with the details on it.

I took several years to fight this because I was out of the country working most of the time, I can even remember standing in the boarding queue at Stansted fighting with their call centre at one point.

On every occaision I contacted them I was told that they could only accept a NCD if I provided a letter from my previous insurers and it had to be an original. After the first 3 letters "never arrived" I told them I could fax it, email a scanned copy or tell them the details so they could contact the original insurers. They refused to do this and just repeated they needed a letter again.

Of course this process I went thorugh took several months, but because I was out of the country it was 1 month, then away for 6 months, then check my mail, fight for another month, then away again, etc.

From what you say it is clear that DL are in the wrong here. You could have another word with your bank and tell them you were not made aware of the increased DD payments and ask what they can do about it. It seems to me that DL have convienently 'lost' or not recieved your letters. Did you check to see if the registered letter was signed for? Have you still got the proof of posting?

We have a cagger named Mossycat who is an expert on insurance and I think his input would be useful but I would be thinking about telling DL that unless they addrerss this issue, you will refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

Please answer the questions about the registerd letter.

Please Note

I have searched all over but unfortunately cant find any proof of sending the details by registered post. I sell a lot of stuff online so go through about 20 registered post recepits a month, I probably chucked it ages ago.

The only reason I remember it is that I did phone them up after it had arrived and when they said they didnt have it I was able to tell them it had arrived. I also offered to email a scanned copy, and told them the details needed to contact the original insurer and that the original insurer was willing to be contacted to confirm the details.

The only thing I can see that might have confused them is that I purchased the Direct Line insurance in January when I bought a new car and cancelled the previous insurance in February when I sold my old car and then forwarded the details (I knew that I would lose a year NCB but I had a large enough one it didnt make much of a difference).

Another thing is, arent they suppossed to send out new DD agreements for me to sign, because I didnt receive them, and therefore they cant have any copies of the agreement.