Building Inspection Fees - staute barred?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope someone can help me here. Got planning permission in 2002 for small extension to our house and builders started/completed work during 2003. Had inspections done at various stages by building inspector from council. We paid various charges etc at the time we were asked to.

2 months ago (over 6 years later!) we get a phone call from building control to say they have been reviewing their records and notice that we haven't got a completion notice for the extension. So he comes along and spends 2 mins looking around before saying all is ok, he's got around 200 to do as alot of records were not followed up when they moved offices year ago! Now i get an invoice & threatening letter for over £250 for inspection fees, i can't prove that we haven't already paid this but i'm sure we paid everything up front in 2002?!

What i need to know is whether they could take legal action for this considering that they have only just invoiced me now nearly 7 years after the builders finished their work? We advised the council at the time that work was complete and heard no more. The inspector verbally told me recently that they have failed to follow up records due to the office move. Do i have to pay this £250 or have i a legal point over the time it has taken them to invoice me? To make it abit more interesting i work for the local council!

You have the choice of sending them an sar and going through it or telling them now that it is statute barred, I like the 2nd option best.

Being statute barred doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, just that they can't use the legal system to chase it, so if they accept the SB, they can still write or sell it to a dca who can have a go. If that should be the case, you can just ignore them.