Buildings insurance claim with Swinton/MMA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, so here's the deal. We have a lean-to conservatory roof 25ft by 12ft which consists of 18 pannels. My husband whilst painting the outside of the house slipped from the ladder, which in turn moved from the walk boards that were on the roof and the ladder went through two of the pannels.

We contacted the insurance company Swinton whos' policy we have with MMA Insurance who advised us to get a quote for repair or replacement from the Conservatory company who originally installed the conservatory, as it's only 6 years old and still under guarantee.

We have been told by the company that the roof we currently have is not made anymore and would be impossible to match, so they have given us a letter stating this and also stating a total replacement cost, mentioning that should anyone else repair it we would be invalidating our conservatory guarantee.

We've been in touch with MMA (who use Cunningham Lindsay to deal with their claims) and have basically been told that they will only pay for the two damaged pannels.

Does this sound right ? How can they value two pannels that no longer exist, or will they take the total roof replacement cost and divide it by 18 pannels and they pay us for just the two of them ?

Any suggestions where I stand on this one ?

I've had dealings with Cunningham Lindsay before about 5 years ago and gave up the previous battle with them of an un-matchable carpet and only offering to pay for one table out of a nest of tables. This time the cost is much higher.

Surely if the roof can't be repaired they have to pay for a new one ?

Ideas please

Hello. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but there's a similar thread here that I looked at yesterday or the day before, about a bathroom suite.

Can you post the exact wording in your policy please?

Am I right in thinking Swinton are insurance brokers and MMA Insurance actually provide your cover. I don't know them, which doesn't mean much, but what does MMA stand for please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi, I'm actually waiting for the policy document to be posted to me, I seem to have mislaid mine.

Swinton are the brokers who found us the insurance with MMA Insurance, I've no idea what MMA stands for, it's just their name. MMA Insurance

Well I've learned something today, thank you. They're French owned and apparently there for you, which is nice to know, isn't it?

If you want to move this on, are there any policy Ts and Cs on the website you kindly provided the link to? I wish I could have done that after 5 posts :).

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum