Carphone Warehouse - new contract instead of upgrade!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5074 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, hope someone can help. I've done a short and long version!

Short story - my sister chose Carphone Warehouse to upgrade her phone but they instead created a new account and now she is stuck with 2 contracts - one with her old number which she wants to keep and this new one which she isn't allowed to cancel!

Long story: My sister wanted to upgrade her phone to a blackberyy and had previously used Phones4U but swayed by Carphone Warehouse's offer of a free Wii with her upgrade, she went with them. As the account was originally in my mum's name, she phoned CW and asked the account to be switched to her name whilst processing the upgrade. During the conversation with the advisor (which constantly switched between my sister and mum) the advisor asked for my sisters bank details which she gave as this was because (she assumed) the account holder was being changed. Throughout the conversation it was reinforced this was for the upgrade.

My sister received her blackberry and ignored the letters that came with it saying 'welcome to vodafone' - again she assumed these were just because she had changed account holder. She swapped her old sim into the new blackberry and didn't notice any difference as she was able to make calls and texts. It was only when she noticed that she couldn't get onto the internet or get access to blackberry messenger that she realised something was wrong. She went to Carphone warehouse and they said it's probably just a data issue and she would need to contact vodafone. Vodafone however said this was a CW fault and it came out during that conversation that they had set up a new account in her name which is why the internet etc wasn't working. She said she had only asked for an upgrade and Vodafone said what CW had done was a misuse of her information and illegal. They however said they could not help.

CW initally said it was probably a genuine mistake and said they would find an advisor and phone her back. No phonecall so my sister phoned them back. This other person said that because the 14 days in which to cancel had expired she couldn't do anything about it and is now being forced to pay for 2 contracts. She doesn't want the new contract as she wanted to keep her old number and just upgrade but now she isn't being allowed to cancel the old one. They said they would listen to the intitial recording of the conversation (if there is one) and call her back within 10 days but they haven't.

Is she able to a) request the recording? b) cancel her new contract and c) go back to the initial upgrade?

No to all three, I'm atraid. The SIM is what the contract is all about, not the phone. By not using the SIM, she's 'broken' the deal, and may well find herself liable for both.

You need to go to CW and ask why the old contract was not cancelled, and her number ported over? If you can shift some of the blame onto them you might get some satisfaction, but it will depend on what was said at the time.

Your sister cannot take on a contract that wasn;t hers originally, this is why it wasn't an upgrade but a new contract. She should have arranged the number port to the new SIM, and all would have been well - but from what you explain both contracts will be current (if not defaulted) and the credit file of BOTH parties now showing bad paymnt markers or defaults.

The only person who can upgrade is your mum.

Hi cyllid,

I'd certainly like to take a closer look at things for you and your sister here.

To allow me to do this could you ask your sister/mum to get in touch with the Web Relations Team with the details in question by following the steps in our pinned thread here?

Once they've done this could you then update the thread with the email reference number they'll get when they receive our automated reply?

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thank you Lee, I will certainly do so.

Hi cyllid,

I'll look forward to hearing from them soon as we can get this looked into.

Thanks,

I Can Vouch For Lee At Vodaphone

He Does Top Notch Customer Service On All Complaints Ref Vodaphone On The Forum

Thanks for the great feedback postggi - it's great to see and appreciated.

All the best.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Hi Lee,

The reference number is #2471620 - I am assuming this is the right number as I couldn't find anything else? She put in her current mobile number (the one she is still using and wanted upgraded) as opposed to the new one the have set up. Let me know if you need the new account mobile number.

Lee, nevermind but thank you anyway! My sister phoned Carphone Warehouse yesterday and they returned her call today admitting nobody had even attempted to look up the voice recording and upon listening to it they realised their mistake and have agreed to rectify the whole situation.

Thanks for your help :)