BUSINESS RATES -they owe me but bailiff chasing me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Finally, after 5 years of battle the valuation office has agreed that my business rate was set wrong in 2005. They wrote to me a couple of weeks ago asking me to accept the reduction offer, or I could go to tribunal- a date had been set for June. I decided that as I have closed my business I would accept - bailiffs (Rossendales) were on my back chasing me for outstanding amount which I just don't have.

So now it means that I have been over paying, and so don't owe anything, they owe me.

However, the bailiff is still trying to pursue me. They telephoned a couple of weeks ago and I refused to talk to them, and asked them to write. A few days later I received their letter demanding payment of £xxx, no break down, just the figure saying that account has been issued to removal bailiff for immediate action. Letter not signed and no certified bailiff number.

Since then the bailiff has called me several times - I'm not answering the phone. I don't know how long it will take for the valuation office to inform the council of the reduction and quite honestly I feel to intimidated to ring them. I know that I must but before I do, any advice ? My feelings are that not only do they owe me 5 years of overpayment but also court fees and bailiff fees. This overpayment each year has contributed to the closure of my business.

If you speak to them you can short-stop the problem.

Hiding from them will simply put on the pressure. Call the Council, explain you are still being pursued by the bailiff and as you are due a refund, it seems a pointless pursuit. This should stop the problem at source.

thanks buzby :)

in your opinion do you think I am right to request a refund of court and bailiff fees? I have been asking them for 5 years to justify a 54% increase in 2005.

Ah - you didn't mention this - but did it REALLY go to court? Councils can apply Statutory additions without the bother, so - in getting the council to recalculate what is due, remind them that you;d like both the statutory additions and fees removed from the balance owed before the rebate is applied. (Which is only fair). This should fix the problem.

To be fair the Bailiff is pursuing because the Council will have obtained a Liability Order for NNDR. You need to find out how much and for which year. The battle you may have is getting them to accept it should be back dated for so long - the Council set the figures on what the VOA say. You may have another battle to go yet.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]