taxi drivers insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all .

Can i just ask a quick question for a chum?

Apparently , a while back he was having serious trouble with his employment....you know the boss was hassling him , he was receiving warnings left right and centre...

So...he gets the feeling hes not gone be working there much longer so decides that he would apply for a licence to drive a cab. He sorts out taxi cab insurance and has it all up and running BUT then things at work die down and his job goes back to the pleasant peaceful job that he enjoyed before all the hassle..

On the advice of "friends" he keeps the taxi insurance running just incase the main job goes pear shape again , figuring at least then he can tell his boss (politely) that he is handing his notice in and start taxi driving straight away (so no break in wages as this is important as his family are in a lot of debt) , and has been driving around for the past lot of months with taxi insurance but NOT working as a taxi driver....

Is this allowed ? Is there some sort of law against this ? Some clause in the taxi insurance policy that says you cant do this ?

To clarify..he DOES have a taxi licence . He just wants to keep the taxi idea on a back burner as a fall back option instead of benefits.

Thanks ...any opinions ?

Guy

I believe this would all depend on the type of 'taxi' cab we are talking about. I.e a black cab or a private hire (mini-cab). The latter is basically a normal car plate licenced by the local authority to carry paying passengers who have pre-booked. However, although being a 'private car', it cannot be used for any other use while it's 'plated'. Also, most private hire drivers 'rent' the car from the taxi firm who provide the insurance anyway, so i'm assuming that your 'chum' owns his own car which is licenced as a taxi in which case the answer to your question will depend on the policy he has but it certainly wouldn't cover him if his badge was not in date because he would not be eligible to drive the car which is licenced as a taxi.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

Edited by sailor sam