Swinton- Where do I stand?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had my house insured by Swinton for the last 12 months,when it was time for renewal I looked around for a better deal, which I found.

I had a couple of calls from them asking me about renewal & told them I had not had anything from them & would probably not be using them, they said they would send the paperwork again. The renewal paperwork arrived after the policy had ended so I ignored it as I had already found another insurer & had gone with them.

I then had a letter thanking me for my continued custom even though I gave no authority to start another policy, I called them & explained the situation, they said I had to formally inform them that I would not be using them or they automatically continue the policy!! They said if I sent them proof of insurance from my new insurers they would cancel the policy.

A copy of the certificate was sent & I expected nothing further, I then receive a letter telling me the policy was about to be cancelled as they were unable to take a payment & I would be liable for charges, I tried to call them over 2 weekends but no one answered ( I am unable to access a landline or use a mobile when at work & as their offices are only open 9.00 - 5.30 in the week I can only call on a Saturday)

I have now received a letter advising me I now owe them over £70 for the cancellation of the policy & if I don't pay within the next 7 days I will be liable for further charges.

So what's my next move, as I have no intention of paying for something I have neither asked for or want!!!!!?

RBOS - Settled in Full

MBNA - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent, Data received, offer rejected, LBA sent, another offer made & rejected.Settled

CAP 1 - SAR Sent, Data received, offer rejected, LBA sent. Due to illness no further progress

Swinton are trying it on and have no right to demand that you send proof of anything to them regarding new insurance.

You had a one year contrcat with them, they have an automatic renewal clause, which unless you tell them not to renew then they will. You told them you weren't renewing so that's the end of it.

They are chancing their arm and bluffing, tell them to get stuffed. Point out to them there is no policy to cancel because you did not renew it, therfore they have no charges to levy on you.

Mossy

Thanks Mossycat, thats along the lines of my thinking.

As far as I am concerned the contract ran out at midnight on the 31/3/10. & as I had not agreed to enter into a new contract end of story!!!

I can understand an insurance company wanting proof for a car policy as it is a legal requirement, but is home insurance a legal requirement rather than common sense?

I would imagine it's only at the insistance of a mortgage company to protect their interests, but as I don't have a mortgage it does apply!!

RBOS - Settled in Full

MBNA - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent, Data received, offer rejected, LBA sent, another offer made & rejected.Settled

CAP 1 - SAR Sent, Data received, offer rejected, LBA sent. Due to illness no further progress

Be a bit careful, some brokers/companies incorporate an automatic renewal as part of their terms and conditions that require you to inform them of your decision not to renew, so as long as you point out to them that they were advised you would not be renewing then there is nothing they can do.

Mossy