Backdated Council Tax help and advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I need some help and advice on council tax. I am a tenant and I moved into a house in jan. 2010, 1 month later i received the council tax letter to pay £95/month approx. only me and my wife lives in the house. i have not paid any council tax so far as my intentions were to apply for benefits once our first baby is born (which is born now and 5 weeks old.) so on 29 march i applied for council tax and housing benefits, then i received a letter from them asking for a few documents which i supplied to them on 26 april, on 27th morning i received summons from court for me and my wife separately, about outstanding council tax. and in the summons they have asked for £300 from me and my wife separately so in total they are asking for £600 from both of us. which i think is wrong, it should be around £300 for jan. to march. i rand council staright away i saw the summons and i was told that decision has been taken for my claim for benefits and i am eligible and they will send me the details in a few days. but they said that i will have to pay the tax for the period i did not apply for benefits but also told me that i can apply for backdated benefits and i will be eligible if i can prove that there are good reasons for me to not apply for benefits from january.

can someone please advice m ethat how can i prove that i am eligible for backdated benefits showing good reasons for not applying.

The council tax charge is joint -you are each individually summonsed for the whole balance so its only the £300 that has been summonsed.

For backdating you need to show good cause such as being ill and having no one else to claim for you. Delaying a claim by choice would not be a good cause.

We had problems trying to get our council tax backclaimed one time & despite chapter & verse giving reasons they dont budge on backdating very easily & didnt in our case either. What they are after you for seems to be your prev years council tax since you moved in Jan (Jan-Mar 2010). This should only be that £95mth amount I should have thought!!!

We still owed a balance going into this months Aprils council tax period and had rec'd a final demand in Mar for what was prev owed, if you give them a ring they may be able to arrange the overdue payments over 3mths adding it to your new council tax bill year, but they only tend to do this overdue payments up to June tho.

If you can get your paperwork sorted asap, it may sound alot of money to fork out at first but then it will sort itself out eventually when they have assessed your claim, good luck if you have got reasons for requesting why they should consider it being backdated to Jan especially if you had a birth & new baby around that time & having moved into the property etc in the scheme of things hadnt been something at the forefront of your mind (but I wouldnt hold your breath as its like getting blood out of a stone dealing with them!)

CAG NEEDS FUNDS PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE WHERE POSSIBLE

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/paypal.php?go=donate