Council tax and Bailiffs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can someone please please help me.

My partner and I have been living together since 15th August 2008 in the same property. Saturday just gone, he received a letter from Bailiffs Whyte & Co saying that he and his ex house mate owed a years Council tax from the period of April 2007 to March 2008 and that a liability Order had been issued, he had 5 days to pay in full or they will come and seize property. This is the first that he has heard of this. There a couple of points:

1. The letter is addressed to my partner and his ex housemate, my partner is not in contact with his ex housemate since the day he left in August 2008 so has no idea where he is now.

2. The letter was dated 15th April we received it on 17th April if it is that urgent why did we not receive the letter earlier.

3. He has never had any letter during living at this current address about unpaid Council tax or at his old address.

4. During the year that they are claiming he owes money he was paying Council tax, unfortunately he still does not have any statements to prove that but he will be contacting his back so he can see the amount he paid.

5. During the duration of living at the old property he never received letters saying that they were in arrears of the Council tax.

What can my partner do? We have managed to about an hour ago get the Council to put a 30 day hold on the account. But how does he go about locating his ex housemate. As he is not prepared to pay this.