Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder confused457 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Default Dispute over holiday allocation

I am currently in dispute with my employer over my holidayicon allocation. I work 4 days per week and work the same hours every day. Am i right in thinking that i am simply entitled to 80% of a full time employee's holiday allocation?

Thanks

Basic Account Holder farmlama Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2009

Default Re: Dispute over holiday allocation

you will be entitled to 5.6 weeks holidayicon a year, so 22.4 days a year

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Thanks, that's the figure I get as well. I do only work 5 hours a day on those 4 days, but this doesn't make any difference, does it?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jul 2009

No, it doesn't make any difference.
    If your Company only gives it's employees the statutory minimum holidayicon entitlement; yours would be 22.4 days (which would usually be rounded up to 23) @ 5 hours pay per day taken.

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

I am lucky enough to get 28 days plus statutory days. I think I calculated my entitlement to be 28/29days (Inc stats) HR have allocated me 19.5 days (Inc stats) They say they use the same formula for all p/t workers. I'm not sure what to do next.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative mariefab Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jul 2009

Does your contract say something along the lines of;

Annual holidayicon entitlement - 28 days
    Bank/Public holidays will be in addition to this entitlement
    Part-time workers entitlement will be pro-rata.

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

It says
    Paid stautory 8 days
    Paid annual holidayicon 28 days
    For p/t staff, all holiday entitlement is calculated pro-rat dependent on your basic working hours.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jul 2009

In that case your entitlement should comprise

22.4 days annual holidayicon (pro-rata of 28 days)
    +
    6.4 days bank/public (pro-rata of 8 days)

Giving a total of 28.8 days overall holiday entitlement.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jul 2009

P.S. I think that you/your employers are confused about the term statutory.

It means in law/statute, but in your contract it is being used to cover bank/public holidaysicon which are not statutory.

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

I'll speak to my line manager next and then go from there. If I'm right (which it looks like I am) there maybe a few staff with holidayicon allocations that are incorrect and need to be back dated. I only changed to p/t hours this year.

I can't believe we have a whole HR department and they can't get it right, they've even doubled checked it!

Thanks for the help, at least I know It's not me who's bad at maths!

Basic Account Holder griffzilla Novitiate griffzilla Novitiate griffzilla's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2006
    I am in
    continent

The reason they *may* be quoting the 19.5 days, is if they are counting the days as full days (of either 7 or 7.5 hours) instead of the 5 hours per day.

Effectively, you work 20/35 (0.57 FTE) or 20/37.5 (0.53 FTE) hours a week - depending on what the full time hours are classed as.

So your holidayicon would be 28days + 8bh = 36 * 0.53 = ~19.2 full time days off. (Which they have rounded up to 19 1/2)

This isn't guaranteed to be correct - however this is how I've always calculated annual leave for part timers on not full days (which is for accountancy purposes, not HR!)

G

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jul 2009

Well done griffzilla! for providing a perfect explanation of how the OP's employers could have arrived at 19.5 days.

As you say, this does not work for HR purposes as a method of calculating an employees holidayicon entitlement.
    It breaches both the Working Time Regulations and the Part-time Workers (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Thanks for the explanations. I think you're right, they have calculated it as if a holidayicon would be a 7.5 day, which of course mine aren't.

I've taken it up with my line manager today and he agrees with me. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE