Free Dental Treatment.

The Chez
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I posted something simlar in the NHS forum a few weeks ago, but didn't receive many replies, someone told me to try posting it here.

What it is, I am on IB and DLA (lower rate care) for Asperger's Syndrome. I live with my partner, who works, so I am unable to claim any means tested benefits such as Income Support.

I am in urgent need of dental treatment, I have lost 2 teeth this year and another is on the way out. The problem is I cannot afford, let alone find, and NHS dentist. 99% of my partner's earnings go on the bills, he is also unable to fund things we have to class as luxuries, sadly this includes seeing dentists and opticians (I also need an eye test as I am worried about my eyesight too). However, I might be able to pay for the test, but glasses & lenses would be out so I don't see the point.

I have had infections in my mouth, which I have had to obtain antibiotics from my GP for, they always say I need to see the dentist, but I genuinly cannot afford it and they have no further suggestions. Whats the point of going for a checkup but not being able to afford any treatment, which for me would come well above £100. Thats our food for a fortnight.

My two front teeth grew crooked when I was younger, and my dentist at that time refused to put a brace on, so I would, in the future, also like a bit of cosmetic work to correct this, as it is starting to get me down. However, that can wait until the more urgent problems are sorted out, such as the roots that are still in my gums from the two lost teeth.

If I were to go to the hospital A&E department when I have really bad toothache, would I have to be treated for free or would I still have to pay? I just don't know any way around this.

Is there one?

Chez,

Do you have a dental hospital near where you live. If so, if you go to their casualty dept and ask for treatment you should get it. You will see a trainee dentistand it probably wonr cost you anything, if you show them you are on benefits. Other than that I cannot suggest anything else.

Cheers - Scousegeezer.

@ The Chez

You said that you are on I.B., the bad news is that I.B. doesn't usually qualify you for free prescriptions, dental treatment or vouchers towards vision or aural aids - I.S., JSA and ESA claimants are eligible. I've never understood why we I.B. claimants don't get this help when all the other "out of work" benefits do. I suppose that if you can wait that long, the DWP is moving everyone to ESA, then you'll qualify.

You can qualify for help with these health costs if yours and your OH's joint income are below a certain threshold, i.e. help awarded for hardship.

A couple of years ago I needed to replace a broken pair of specs, I went to Asda opticians and the man there persuaded me to take the H.C. claim form and send it in. I followed the man's advice, even though I was sure that I wouldn't get any money back, well how wrong was I, a few weeks later I got a cheque for £34 which covered more than half of my costs.

Another thing which you can do is to get a H.C. (11 or 2, I can't quite remember the number) claim form and ask for help with your health costs on the grounds of low income/hardship. You'll need to send them evidence of income, e.g. copies of your I.B. award/amount letter and your OH's pay slips and details of your housing costs. If you're successful they will issue you with a certificate entitling you to reduced cost treatment, e.g. the dentist will only charge you a few quid for the first visit and the follow-up's will be for free, likewise the optician will automatically reduce your bill by the value of the "optical voucher" amount. Check out the DWP Direct website and get on the phone immediately to get them to send you the H.C. form.

I hope this helps, best regards and good luck,

Paul.

Edited by loan_ranger

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Finding an NHS Dentist near to you:

Both the BDA and the NHS offer “Find a Dentist” websites. To find a NHS or private dentist in the UK please visit http://www.bda-findadentist.org.uk or try this link;

About Dentistry

How can I get the HC1 claim form?

You should be able to get the claim form from:

• Your JobCentre Plus office.
  • An NHS hospital.
  • By phoning the NHS Formsline on 0845 610 1112, textphone: 08700 102 870.
  • By phoning the Department of Health Publications Orderline on 0845 610 1112, textphone number 08700 102 870.
  • Your dentist or optometrist (optician) may stock them.

Edited by loan_ranger
added content

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.