Council tax in hospital accommodation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Had an email from a friend of mine and was wondering what the Forum's collective wisdom would be.

Cheers!

TIB

Message starts:

Hi, I'm looking for some advice/opinions.

I recently received an email (followed by a letter) from a housing association, claiming I owe them ~£76 rent arrears from when I was an F1 working in X hospital. I was there for 4 months in 2006 and accommodation was still free for PRHO's/F1's.

The letter came completely out of the blue, but stated the debt must be paid within a week, or further action would be taken (exactly what wasn't defined).

I contacted the Hospital who have now looked into the matter (the housing association is up near Fleetwood in the North West) and they're now saying that the debt is for council tax which was not included in the free accommodation.

Now it's a few years ago, but I don't remember paying any council tax for the other 8 months I spent in free accommodation in another hospital. I'm also a bit put out at demands for instant payment 4 years down the line.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences or does anyone have any advice? I'll be happy to pay if it is a genuine debt that I incurred and that's been being processed for all this time, it just seems a bit odd.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Old_andrew2018

Write to the HA asking for an explanation, as IMHO they cant send a rent account and then say its for council tax