• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS CCA - is this correct?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I sent the following letter to RBS without sending a Postal Order for £1. The below links are the response I recieved today.

Date: 16th March 2010

Dear Sir or Madam

Account number - xxxxxxxxx

Sort Code – xxxxxxxx

After recently obtaining a copy of my credit file from Experian I was concerned to note that your company has placed a "Default" notice against the above account.

Further to this I have no recollection of ever receiving such a notice, and I therefore require you to substantiate this data at your earliest convenience.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account.

2. You must supply me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice

3. Any deed of assignment if the debt was sold on

I would request that this data is provided to myself within the next 28 days, if you are unable to provide this data then I must insist that it is removed from my files as unsubstantiated.

Yours faithfully

Now I have recieved today the following

RBS RESPONSE

AGREEMENT

2nd PAGE OF T&C's

Is the response from RBS correct? Is the Agreement ok? It looks like a template, just to let you know, I have not blanked out anything under the Credit Reference No. This simply isn't any on the agreement they have sent me.

They did send me photocopies of the Insurance Policy Terms & Conditions, and a schedule of Arrears. I can upload them too if you need to see them.

What I am interested in is firstly the insurance, I KNOW I was advised and sold the insurance from the bank and would ONLY get the loan if I took the Insurance. I was unaware at the time that this was not a pre-requisite until I came here.

Secondly, I wanted to get a true copy of the Default notice - which hasn't arrived. Now I am more than willing to send a Postal Order and to be honest the letter I sent them was from another site, so didn't realise when I sent it that I needed to send a Postal Order, so if I should, would it not be worth sending a SAR - would the Default Notice arrive with that?

Can someone advise on this please? I am currently paying FCM £35 per month and have been doing so for the last 2 years and have not missed a payment.

Templates from CAG

No they are not obliged to sent you a copy of a DN, it is extremely rare for them to keep a copy. As for that CCA it looks as if it is a reconstruction as there doesn't appear to be any signatures unless you've blanked them out. Also if you signed the agreement at home it seems to be missing the 'right to cancel' which is a prescribed term & the agreement would be unenforceable if it was missing.

If your signature is missing I'd be tempted to send them Scots letter below & see what their response is;

Re: my request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Thank you for your recent letter sent to me, the contents of which are noted. I appreciate your quick response to my original letter. However, the reply received by me does not fulfil your requirements under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The Act demands that I be supplied with a true copy of any properly executed credit agreement that exists in relation to the above account. I may ask for this on demand providing that a fee of £1.00 is paid. This fee was sent with my original letter.

My request remains outstanding. The items you sent in your reply, does not constitute a true copy of any credit agreement that may or may not have been signed by me on the opening of this account. It neither confirms that I am liable for any alleged debt to you, nor gives me any chance to evaluate whether any original agreement was ‘properly executed’.

I still require you to send me a true copy of the original credit agreement that you allege exists. As you will know, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, a judge is not permitted to make any enforcement order unless the creditor can provide a true signed copy of the original credit agreement. This means that unless you can produce such an agreement, this alleged debt is not enforceable in law.

You had until XX/XX/2010 to provide me with the true copy I requested. You are now in default of my request. Any account I hold with you is now in legal dispute. Whilst the account remains in dispute, you are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, you are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, nor make any further charges to the account. Additionally, you are not entitled to register any information on this account with any credit reference agency.

To register information with a credit reference agency, you must have written consent from the customer to collate and share such information. This consent is given in the form of a signed credit agreement, so until you produce such an agreement, you may not do this.

The requirement for consent to share data is a clear requirement of the Data Protection Act 1998. any such attempts to share my data without my consent will be met with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office

To sum up, I will not be making any further payments to you until you provide me with the document I have requested. Whilst you remain in default of my request, you are not permitted to take any action against this account. This includes adding further charges and passing any information to the credit reference agencies.

Should you not have any signed credit agreement in relation to this alleged debt, please confirm this in writing to me.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Print name do not sign

**amend to suit your circumstances.**

Cerbanerusalert - thank you for the prompt reply, it is most appreciated. Can you advise if I need to add copies of the original request or a copy of the Agreement they provided with this letter, or will the letter be sufficient?

And should they not fulfill this renewed request, would it be advisable to send a SAR to them? If they have no copy of the DN, if they have a kleenex tissue archived with the date of the DN, are they not obliged to provide this information? My question here is geared around the possibilty of a 'non valid notice' and 'termination'

Again, thanks very much for your help

EDIT: Meant to add, I signed the agreement in the Bank, I haven't blanked anything out of the Agreement apart from my personal details (name, address) everything else is as I recieved it

Templates from CAG

Just the letter will be fine.

you could send a sar yes, if they have sent a DN in the past there should be some record of it if only a diary event.

EDIT: Meant to add, I signed the agreement in the Bank, I haven't blanked anything out of the Agreement apart from my personal details (name, address) everything else is as I recieved it
It doesn't require the right to cancel then as it was on premises, but it would need your signature to be enforceable.

Thank you very much, I have been looking over the PPI thread, but come to doubts for a claim for the following reasons:

1. I know I made multiple payments agaisnt the loan, but was made redundant in the November of 2004. I know I made every payment until I was made redundant, the loan start date is 28th June 04, so I presume the 1st payment went out in July, so 5 payments were made. Now it is my understanding then that the PPI kicked in and made some payments, but the schedule of arrears I recieved today states:

Balance drawn on 28 June 2004 - £3,200

First payment of £108,73 due monthly thereafter

Total amount paid to date is £2,882.14

Total arrears on account amounts to £3,641.66

Balance on the account £3,641.66-

Then there is a list starting from February 2006 of every month through to July 2009 stating

Missed payments to date under the original agreement are as follows:

£108,73 in February 2006

£108,73 in March 2006

£108,73 in April 2006

...and so on right up to July 2009.

So why only until that date? Why not up until April 2010?

So I am not sure if I can claim the PPI and if the amount paid to date consists of PPI payments in my favour during my time unemployed. This seems to be a single premium policy. For me I am so confused to the amounts paid vs remaining and what is interest and what is loan or PPI :(

Really have no idea

Templates from CAG

cerb, thanks for your response. I have drafted this letter, mostly the same but slightly tweaked, can you advise if this can be sent as is?

Re: my request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Thank you for your recent letter sent to me, dated 1st April and received on the 7th April, the contents of which are noted. I appreciate your response to my original letter. However, the reply received by me does not fulfil your requirements under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The Act demands that I be supplied with a true copy of any properly executed credit agreement that exists in relation to the above account. I may ask for this on demand when providing a payment of £1. Please find enclosed a Postal Order for the sum of £1 to be used for the purpose of this request and not for any payments towards this account.

My request remains outstanding. The items you sent in your reply, does not constitute a true copy of any credit agreement that may or may not have been signed by me on the opening of this account. It neither confirms that I am liable for any alleged debt to you, nor gives me any chance to evaluate whether any original agreement was ‘properly executed’.

I still require you to send me a true copy of the original credit agreement that you allege exists. As you will know, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, a judge is not permitted to make any enforcement order unless the creditor can provide a true signed copy of the original credit agreement. This means that unless you can produce such an agreement, this alleged debt is not enforceable in law.

Although you advise in your previous correspondence that the agreement you provided was a true copy, I believe this to be a reconstructed agreement and not a true copy. As this only arrived on the 7st April you did not provide the information in a timely fashion as per the request. You had 12+2 days to respond, I was lenient enough to allow you a further 8 days, but as the supplied documents are not a true copy you are now in default of my request. Any account I hold with you is now in legal dispute. Whilst the account remains in dispute, you are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, you are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, nor make any further charges to the account. Additionally, you are not entitled to register any information on this account with any credit reference agency.

Under the same obligation you have to my request I have also not received the following as requested in my letter dated 16th March 2010 and I there for request these one more time:

2. You must supply me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice

3. Any deed of assignment if the debt was sold on

To register information with a credit reference agency, you must have written consent from the customer to collate and share such information. This consent is given in the form of a signed credit agreement, so until you produce such an agreement, you may not do this.

The requirement for consent to share data is a clear requirement of the Data Protection Act 1998. any such attempts to share my data without my consent will be met with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office

To sum up, I will not be making any further payments to you until you provide me with the documents I have requested. Whilst you remain in default of my request, you are not permitted to take any action against this account. This includes adding further charges and passing any information to the Credit Reference Agencies.

Should you not have any signed credit agreement in relation to this alleged debt, please confirm this in writing to me.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

This letter contains 2 pages

Templates from CAG

have been searching for the following which RBS have mentioned in the response:

Regulation 3 (1) of the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983

I cannot find this, can some please point me in the right direction. Have searched here but cannot find this exact regulation

I have used http://search.opsi.gov.uk/

but have no luck :(

Templates from CAG

have been searching for the following which RBS have mentioned in the response:

Regulation 3 (1) of the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983

I cannot find this, can some please point me in the right direction. Have searched here but cannot find this exact regulation

I have used http://search.opsi.gov.uk/

but have no luck :(

What they refer to is correct however, I would write back and ask them to confirm whether the true copy has been recreated from banking records or from the original.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

cerb, also in my earlier post you asked if I signed the agreement on the premises. On discussing with my wife the progress in this thread, she advised me that she DID indeed bring the agreement at the time to me at my workplace for me to sign! - What is the legislation behind your question in regards to this?

I personally cannot validate this as I really cannot remember, but I would have no reason to doubt my wife. It may have been an agreement that she signed in the bank or sent to us in the post, neither of us can remember.

Bit more information, the loan was to repay the overdraft. I can recall we were able to increase the OD time and time again and the bank obliged, until such a point as we were 'told' we had to take a loan as they were not increasing it any more. I believe the limit of the OD at the time was £1800. When the agreement was drawn up, we were not even advised around the PPI but sold the loan and policy in such a way to the effect...

....you are paying back in a loan much less than the charges for the OD and the bank do not want to manage your account when it is constantly over drawn...

They pitched it in a way that it was 'necessary' to take the loan.

Templates from CAG