ill health retirement and benefits advice needed

bdk69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone I am new to this so appologise if this is not the right place to post this.

I have had health problems for some time now and am currently on sick leave with depression. 2 years ago I started to have sight problems and was referred to an eye hospital. I can only see shadows in my right eye and have occasional blurred vision in the left. The hospital conducted lots of tests and said they could not find anything wrong despite me not being able to see properly and I was discharged. My eyes are getting worse and its causing problems reading and writing. I use magnifying spectacles to help. Someone said I should be registered as partially sighted but if the hospital say they can find no reason I can't see how registration can take place. I believe the hospital would be the ones that would register me, is right?

Then i started to get pins and needles in my arms and legs and numbness. my ballance gets affected and on some days I can't move out of my bed. My brain tells my legs to work and they don't. My speech on bad days goes slurred and I can't seem to string a sentance together. On bad days I forget how to do things (like tieing a bow or writing)

I have now seen a nuerologist who is investigating for Multiple Schlerosis or a blocked basilar artery. I am currently waiting for an appointment for a scan. All this has brought on another bout of depression and I have had a nervous breakdown. I am having panic attacks when I go out so have started to stay in all the time.

I am on sick leave and have signed to say my employers can ask for medical info from my GP. I think they are going to go down the avenue of ill health as I am unable to do my work. I have no idea what is the best thing to do.

Can someone tell me the difference between retirement on health grounds or being asked to leave or sacked due to health issues.

I want to claim DLA but know this is a battle in its self. I do not have a diagnosis yet so how would this affect a claim?

If they retire me (I am 50) and I am not in a pension scheme what would I be entitled to?

if they retire me do they pay me till I finish or do I get some kind of pay off to go?

I am at my wits end as I have never been on any benefits and would not know how to start. I am scared I will end up with no income.

Please can someone advice what I should do?

Hi there and welcome. This sounds awful for you and yours, and at a young age too. I'm really sorry.

I don't think you'll end up with no income. Someone who knows about benefits will be along and advise you what to do, I'm sure.

My understanding of ill-health retirement would normally be if there's a pension scheme involved, but you say you aren't a member of one. If you have any other pensions with previous employers or private ones of your own, they can pay early pensions too, with no minimum age.

I would think the only way the company are likely to pay you is through a pension scheme you're in, or if they have a sickness policy going. Do you have an employee handbook that gives any info?

Or you might have cover of your own, incuding credit card illness cover, if you have it.

Depending on how your thread goes, you may also find yourself posting on the Employment forum here later on, which is somewhere else I hang out at CAG.

On being registered partially sighted, I'd have thought it might be worth speaking to your GP's surgery, or looking at one of the charity websites.

CAB are usually good on benefits and submitting forms.

Does that help for starters? I'm happy to answer any questions you have on what I've posted above, but please don't ask me about benefits.:)

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks honeybee13.

I have not got any works pension from any previous employer either.

My employer has a sickness policy I get full pay for 12 weeks then half pay for 12 weeks.

I think maybe I should contact the society for the blind and see what they advise.

I need help with my depression too. My Gp perscribed Prozac about 8 months ago which didnt help so she doubled the dose. I then had the breakdown so she changed my medication to duloxetine. I am not seeing anyone but myGP and no councellor or psychiatrist which I think would help. I am so witdrawn and am usually a strong person. I just feel like a wreck and its hard due to having irrational thoughts etc which is why I think I need more help. I have also developed slight OCD tendancies.

I just don't know how I will manage or how to claim benifits. Maybe a visit to Citizens Advice is in order.

Hi 'bdk69',

I fully agree with 'honeybee13'...

You should firmly establish the medical reasons related to your actual state... Once you are aware of diagnosis and prognosis, then you can start contacting the right organisations to secure both financial and medical help.

I fully understand how difficult it is for you to face such an unknown situation, more so when you have been an active and supportive member of the community...

As per your employer, they are doing the right/legal 'thing' by accessing your medical records... it will give them an insight into diagnosis/prognosis and will help them take a decision... you must be aware that they may dismiss you on ill-health grounds...

You MUST get in touch with your nearest CAB, so they can inform you about benefits and help you with all documents, if necessary.

The CAG is behind you and do not hesitate to continue posting...

Take great care of yourself...

:)

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Hello again. If your medication isn't helping, I would suggest you ask to see an NHS psychiatrist. A friend of ours saw one who prescribed a completely different pill to the GP and it worked much better.

We'd really like to help you, please keep asking any questions you have.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

hi im not much help either, but facing a similar thing with my husband been on long term sick but hes been lucky in that his company have an insurance company who pay reduced payments.

my husband is able to claim in capacity beneft, theres another word for it now, but citizens advice could definately tell you what you need.

also you didnt say if you owned a home or was renting, if renting you wil get help with paying rent and council tax. even if you do own your own home, you will get help with council tax.

so sorry for your situation, its so cruel when your already feeling very low with depression to then face all this uncertainty, they dont realise how worries like this can send you spiralling, here if you need us x

Greetings bdk69,

Right, I do not want to alarm you but the symptoms you have told us about I really think you should be getting urgent medical attention.

All what you have said points towards a neurological condition.

I am a stroke survivor of nearly 20 yrs so do not be alarmed my stroke was a very bad one that needed open surgery and 3 months of induced coma but I am a living witness that live still goes on and on.

Your Doctor I think should be referring you for CT and MRI scans to rule out a TIA if nothing else.

Please have a read of the Stroke Association site below it is full of very good info particularly the fact sheets.

The Stroke Association - The Stroke Association Homepage

The Stroke Association - Information

The Stroke Association - A-Z list of Factsheets and Resource sheets

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Thanks everyone for your help and kind words. I have seen a nuerologist and he is sending me for a scan on my basilar artery and a brainwave test. I had a scan last June and the december before they were both clear. The Nuerologist thinks either it could be MS or a blocked basilar artery thats what he is looking at. This has been going on for the last 2 years now and is very frustrating. If only someone could say yes its???? then at least we could start treating it and move on. To tell the truth I don't care what it is I will face it. My main worry is my eyes. One sees only shadows and the other is blurred yet eye hospital found nothing wrong and discharged me. I think it is them who register you partially sighted but it never happened as they said it may be nuerological.

its so nice to know you are all out there rooting for me. I wish my employer would tell me what they were planning too.

Thanks everyone I will keep you posted.