• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CCJ enforcement letter SCM/Lloyds TSB

davehsug
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I am trying to help a friend sort out a problem & hoped I might get some advice.

He had a substantial debt,

which the bank obtained a CCJ for sometime ago.

Frustrating I know, but he does not know how much the judgement was for or what the payments should be & hasn't been sent any payment book etc

. I tried to find out more, but he just said he waited until he got a letter from the court & then paid it!

The situation now seems to be quite serious,

I have seen the letter that says they are going for a warrant of execution

& yesterday, he had a visiting card from a baliff whilst at work.

He is going to the court today to make a payment & I have told him he must ask for details of the original judgement & we can take it from there.

At the moment they seem to be asking for arrears of over £2000 to be paid within 7 days. Impossible of course.

A couple of questions.

Will the local court be able to provide him with details of the judgement?

He is able to make reasonable payments towards the debt.

Should he contact SCM to arrange this, or go straight back to the court for a variation order, assuming that the payments must be pretty high for that level of arrears to accrue?

Thanks in anticipation

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks. I need to arrange for an N245 for my friend who is in arrears on a CCJ & is receiving a summons every month. He can afford the repayment (just), but was advised by the banks solicitors, that it would be best for himt to send in an N245, to "reset" the case, so that he wasn't getting the summons every month.

I have been onto the HMCS website & their is a form on there, but you can't actually fill it in & submit online.

The case is dealt with at the bulk court in Northampton.

A couple of questions. Can I get the form for him, from the local court & submit it there, or do I need to get the form & post it to Northampton?

Would it be best to apply to vary the order to a slightly lower amount? As I said he can afford the payment, but it seems the form only really deals with a variation to the monthly payment.

Any help aprreciated.

You can complete an N245 form to apply to reduce the instalment amount and send this to the court. Your application will then be considered. You must pay a £35.00 fee. The cheque or postal orders should be made payable to HMCS. If you are on benefit or cannot afford to pay the fee you may complete the EX160 form, Fee Remission form.

Don't forget to do an income and expenditure form for your friend, it will help the judge decide how much your friend can afford.

The form is here:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n245_0204.pdf

The income and expenditure spreadsheet is here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17158&d=1268687658

Edited by ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

• 2 months later...

Hi all just after advice for a mate about trying to get an N245 form filled out properly.

He failed to make payments on a CCJ & now repeatedly gets issued with warrants, which he pays.

Sadly this isn't doing anything to pay off the debt.

I've now got him a payment book & he has started paying them.

I've got an N245 form to get the warrant suspended, as the creditor advised they would keep going out automatically as there are large arrears.

Question is,

do I need to get him to send a covering letter with the form?

He can afford the payments, so is only asking for a suspension & there is nowhere on the form for any explanation.

Apart from that the form is quite straightforward.

Any advice appreciated

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Looking for advice for a friend.

He has recently been placed on ESA support group.

He has a CCJ which he has been paying for some years whilst working of £120 per moth, there is just over £2,000 still owing.

Now that his future is more or less settled as not being able to work,

I would like to be help him to reduce this monthly payment.

I realise that with his income now at £109 per week he would be able to get a reduction.

However, he has about £5,000 in savings, left from redundancy & obviously when he was working.

I know he could pay the balance, but he is anxious to hold on to as much capital as possible, to help over the next few years.

If he applies to have the payment reduced,

would it be likely to be rejected by the court due to his savings?

Any advice appreciated.

does he pay the court or the creditor? He nay be able to negotiate a full and final settlement if hes been paying for some years

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

whats the debt all about?

what was the original debt /creditor

who got the CCJ

and when.

was it contested

defence filed?

much more info needed.

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the replies. The CCJ is with the original creditor (Lloyds) & there is no dispute over the debt. It really is a simple matter of whether the court will take his savings into account when assessing if the payments can be lowered. He is of course in a position to clear the debt, but facing the rest of his life on benefits, he's anxious to hold on to every penny he can for future unforeseen & exceptional events.

Has he applied for benefits yet?

I sold my house after divorce last year and when it came to benefits i had to show them accounts of everything i'd spent the proceeds on since the sale.

i think the threshold for savings is 6k but it nay have been lowered, im not 100% sure, what i do know is when they were checking mine, they were looking to make sure i hadnt simply blown it on wine women and song to get below the threshold

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.