Vanquis - Ignoring Settlement Offer Letters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2674 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi !

Spot of advice please.

My wife has a balance of £1,172 on her vanquis card, she ran into financial difficulties and subsequently misssed 3 payments. She managed to raise £590.00 (from an insurance payout) and offered that as an ex-gratia payment in full and final settlement. We wrote to Vanquis on February 1st with that offer, and again repeating that offer on February 22nd. they have failed to respond or even acknowledge either letters. We wrote to Impact Collection services with the exact same offer and they too have ignored our letters (all letters have been sent via recorded delivery).

Just wondering how best to proceed next.

Many thanks.

Thanks cerberusalert,

All we require is other members views on what action should be taken when a creditor ignores and continues to ignore a debtors offer of payment.

My own personal view would be the "official CAG route", eventually followed up by a cheque for £590 enclosed with a "now bugger off" letter.

As ceberusalert says, first request a copy of your Consumer Credit Agreement, using the templates on here. If they can't supply a proper CCA within the required timescale, then the debt would be unenforcible in court, and the Debt Collection Agency would know it and probably be more inclined to play ball and accept the offer rather than getting nothing.

Thanks to all, I know you mean well, but we appear to be having different conversations on this matter.

The question I asked was: If a creditor continues to ignore a debtors offer of payment, what would the appropriate way of "dealing with that creditor" ie, do you think it would be appropriate to pay the £590 as originally offered and then tell the creditor to bugger off, knowing that ultimately the courts would not have much sympathy with them in the event of a claim ?

lol, it's relevant martin honest. Listen to ceberusalert, he knows what he's talking about, I'm going to follow his advice myself.

If you offer them £590 and tell them to bugger off, I'd suspect they'll just swallow up the £590 and come back for more.

If you issue a CCA request, and they can't provide it, my understanding is that they can't enforce their claim in court - it's as simple as that. You could offer them £0 and they can't do jack about it. This doesn't write the debt off, or make it go away, it simply means they can send all the threatening letters they like, but they can't make you pay. Talk of CCJ's and bailiffs would be all talk and nothing but. Have I got all this right ceberus? lol

You mightn't think a CCA request is relevant, but trust us here, it makes your offer so much stronger if they haven't got the agreement. I've thought about making offers before without requesting the CCA, but I'm coming around to the CCA request line myself. They'll realise you're clued up, realise you could walk away without paying a penny, and they'll take your offer seriously. If they have got the agreement, they'll happily provide it and you're no worse off.

Edited by Matthew Malone
thanking ceberusalert :-)

The reason I suggested requesting a CCA is threefold;

a) It opens up communications which they are legally obliged to answer.

b) They will realise that you know your legal rights.

c) If the CCA is unenforceable it puts you in the driving seat, enabling you to negotiate on your terms.

As it stands now there is nothing to make them open up to any dialogue other than your wife to withold future payment, which at the moment she is not legally entitled to do.

There are other things too to consider, does this a/c contain a PPI & have unfair charges been added? If either these can be reclaimed thus reducing the debt.

My own personal view would be the "official CAG route", eventually followed up by a cheque for £590 enclosed with a "now bugger off" letter.
If you did that without any formal written agreement, they would simply continue to pursue for the remaining balance or sell the debt to another DCA.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

just a quicky ..... my wife took a vanquis card out in 2008, back end of last year she ran into financial difficulties. Been down the CAG route (cca request etc).... all they sent was a blank application form and a list of general terms and conditions which could apply to anything and everything. Does the CCA request still hold on this 2008 agreement ? (NO CCA = NO ENFORCEABLE DEBT)

At the moment, we`re digging our heels in until they do provide the copy of the agreement.

I have always understood that as from 2007 all loopholes were closed, are you sure it was not before 2008?

Obviously if all they have sent is the Application Form, then that is not sufficient.

Could you scan and post up what they have sent after removing all personal/identifying information.

In my case they also failed supply a CCA after a SAR.

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

Vanquis Bank Limited is a subsidary company of Provident, your local friendly doorstep loan shark.

Never heard of any connection to Prudential

Correct - getting dyslexic it seems:eek:

David

• 1 year later...
have you tried ringing them or give vanquis a call - i am sure they would consider this offer

May I ask why you are replying to a thread dating from march 2010 and is now irrelevant???????????

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Need advice about Vanquis

I have a credit card with them and was taken ill whilst at work back in June, resulting in medium/long term sick leave (approx 12-15 months).

Until last month I was able to maintain my full monthly payments, but as my company sick pay has now run out I am now on ESA and unable to make my full payments.

I wrote to them on 31/10/2016 (via recorded delivery) explaining my situation and enclosing a budget sheet.

I made an offer of £50 per month until I returned to work and asked them to suspend interest and any other charges for the duration (contractual payments been around £180 per month)..

Despite them receiving my letter on 1/11/2016, they have failed to respond, other than the usual barage of phone calls (which are all blocked and logged).

I never discuss my financial business over the phone, let alone divulge my personal details (whether for security purposes or not).

What is my next step ?

Thanks in advance.

If youre on benefits, drop themn to £1 a month.You dont ask them, you tell them. Start repaying and keep a record of all repayments.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If you write to them, then tell them you are paying £1 a month because you ar eon benefits, and you will advise them when your finances change. Tell them to stop all interest and charges as it would be very unfair for them to prenalise you sinc eyou are on benefits, as it would solely be for their own gain. If they dont, then get complaints rolling.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks,

I'll get on with that on Monday.

I've had my account for almost 5 years with them.

always paid on time, always kept within my credit limit, until my unforseen circumstances, which are only temporary.

I don't want to fall out with them, but given the amount of money they've made out of me and the lack of response to my letter AND the amount of phone calls they are bombarding me with,

I aint going to roll over and play dead. But if that's how they are going to treat me, then spectator sport it is !

If they are constantly calling you, tell them to stop and have a read of harrison vs link.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interim offer of reduced payment (until I'm fit enough to return to work) of £50 per month withdrawn and £1 per month token payment.

Gone into my on-line e-vanquis account and changed my mobile number to the their own number (the one they use to bombard you with text messages wanting to know when and how much you are going to pay them)

- idea being they'll be ringing themselves and not my mobile,

they keep ringing my home number, but due to TrueCall device, they dont disturb me in the least and I can continue to monitor and log their calls with minimum fuss and hassle

Credit file damage limitation excersize carried out

- Capital One credit card succesfully applied for before they mark my credit file (no intention of using said card anyway)

Each and every letter to them sent via recorded delivery.

GAME SET AND MATCH .... LET THE FUN BEGIN !!

Edited by dx100uk
behave - dx

Not quite game set and match just yet, will keep an eye out for developments, vanquis are a nightmare to deal with at the best if times, but then they are provident in a cheap suit!!

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.