Another Council Tax thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, looking for a wee bit of help, was on the way out today, and there were 3 letters in the mail box from WALKER LOVE, 2 the same postmarked the 15th, and one postmarked the 16th, saying that further proceedings were being considered as I had failed to reply to previous correspondence.

These were the first letters I had received regarding this outstanding Council Tax balance, and was for a property I vacated in 1999!!

The outstanding amount was £640.

Now here's the crunch - I had my wages arrested for council tax around this time, and was getting deductions from my wages to pay the current AND outstanding balances and had thought it had been sorted - so was pi$$ed off and went into the Council, ready to vent steam, turns out there are more outstanding amounts totalling £3400, since 1996.

The adviser today was helpful, and showed me on the screen that payments were paid, but not enough, and that payments I thought were covering a specific year were covering the previous year's balance.

I set up a repayment plan today of £80 pcm, plus a 12month direct debit of £63 for the current years CT, which means in 42.5 months(or 3.5years) it'll be paid.

I am not the highest earner in the world, each month on a basic wage I earn £720 after deductions, and I pay rent £350, utilities £100, phone/internet £50-60.

Could I be receiving Housing benefit or Local Housing Allowance??

Thanks for that, will look closely into this, also I may challenge the validity of the outstanding balances, as I honestly thought all monies were repaid as a result of wage arrestment, and the fact I have had no contact over the years with regards being in arrears - do I have a case??:confused:

Further to this, as Sod's law would have it, I had been clearing up old paperwork within the last fortnight, and as a result shredded all bills/letters and receipts up to the last three years, which included all the CT payment books and receipts:mad:.

Does the Council have to provide me with a full record of charges and payments over these years that arrears are being sought, or would I have to make a special request??:confused: