Tax Banding Question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello, after bit of advice...

I moved into a new-build property back in September. It's a 2 bed terraced without any external land/garden. I was initially assigned tax band 'C', but a few weeks later I was told it had been changed 'D' and was re-billed accordingly.

I did try and appeal the change (as I think band D for a 2 bed terraced is a lot), but they really wern't interested.

However, I got my 2010 bill through today, which lists the property as 'C' again.

I don't really want to be billed as a band D, but nor do I want a large underpayment bill due further down the line!

So, should I contact them and ask them to confirm their records are correct, or, assuming I make all the payments as per their current bill, am I safe from any back-charging should they realise they've billed me incorrectly?

You need to contact your local authority to check this out as, if the banding wasn't lowered and it's just their records that are wrong, then you will undoubtedly get stung for the balance later along the line.

Do you happen to know if any of your neighbours on the new build appealed against the banding as well?

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

You need to contact your local authority to check this out as, if the banding wasn't lowered and it's just their records that are wrong, then you will undoubtedly get stung for the balance later along the line.

Do you happen to know if any of your neighbours on the new build appealed against the banding as well?

Hi, not sure about the neighbours - that could explain it as there really is no way they should be band D.

I'll speak to the council & ask them to clarify the banding - really can't afford to be 'caught out' down the line

Interestingly, I've just been on the VOA website which lists all tax bandings, and it lists my property as and c - I'm sure I've looked before and it was D (as I used to to check what band my neighbours were at the time), so perhaps it has changed then - if so - happy days!

--Edit - the VOA site also allows you to view property banding history - but I'm just showing band C since it was built - no record of it being a D - and the same for the rest of the street. Very odd. Maybe I'll be entitled to a refund :eek:

Well, I'm really confused now!

Called VOA who confirmed I'm a band C, and as far as they're concerned, always have been.

So called the council to ask if a refund was due, but 'their records' show that during 09/10 I was paying as a B, but have now been put up to a C - no record of ever being - or paying - a D - even though I'm looking at the bill with a big D on it - very confused!

Well, I'm really confused now!

Called VOA who confirmed I'm a band C, and as far as they're concerned, always have been.

So called the council to ask if a refund was due, but 'their records' show that during 09/10 I was paying as a B, but have now been put up to a C - no record of ever being - or paying - a D - even though I'm looking at the bill with a big D on it - very confused!

You need to get something in writing to them Extrobe...they sound so incompetent!! You should be able to check online what their charges are for the different bands so that you can find out what band you've actually being paying.

Let us know how you get on!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Check the VOA website to confirm what date your property has been banded from and if the band has been changed.

From experience i have never known a band of a property to increase once banded.

If the band of a property dose increase due to alterations for example the band increase is not change until the current liable person who pays the ctax on the date in was re-banded moves out and a new liable person moves in.

Another post, i understand your have view bill and confirm it advising you are being charge ctax based on a band D, sorry to sound odd but please check the wording as occassionly local authoritys billing for ctax differ and some local authority advised that you have to pay 8 9th of a band D property a band D for Ctax is 9 9th's.

So a Band C property is 8 9th, B 7 9th's and A 6 9th's, if it is working that your Ctax is based on 8 9th's of a Band D ctax you are being bill correctly as a band C.