Council tax Question.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anybody please tell me whether council tax is payable on an empty house that is not being lived in by the owners and that has been put up to let please?? This is not a second house and the current owner is living with the parents.

Thanks

Ginana

Thanks very much ss002d6252!

That was a very comprehensive answer.

The asnwer to your question is part furnished - only white goods (fridge, washingmachine etc. Does that make any difference?

Best

Ginana

I think under the rules it's either furnished or unfurnished. Take a look at the Council's website (if you haven't already) they should have details of exemptions and discounts as well as the form you will need to complete.

Aviva is correct - either the property is substantially unfurnished or its furnished . White goods would probably be regarded as furnished by many authorities but the actual defintion of substantially unfurnished is open to interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...

I work in a local authority and a property that is unoccupied and not furnished can be exempt from council tax for a maximum period of 6 months from the first date it became un-furnished and un-occupied regardless of owernship.

At my lcoal authority we do not consider white goods only as funiture as most homes now have fitted kitchen so it is not possible for landlords or owner's of properties to remove them.

If an exemption is award the local council may want to visit the proprty to confirm that the exemption is applicable.

If the property remains unfurnished and unoccupeid over the max period the exemption can be awarded the full ctax then becomes payable.

My council award's onyl 10% for not occupied but furnished properties so it best to check with your local council of what the discount is if the property is furnished. If your council award 50% you are best to remove funiture and claim 6 months exemption and then furnish the property after the exemptio run's out and claim 50% and not pay the full amount.