council tax arrears help needed if poss please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there im new here i was hoping for a little advice on council tax

I fell into arrears a few years back with council tax the final bill i owed was around 3500 i have been paying this debt off at £43 a month i know its small i have always made payments never missed yet and have just got a bill today for £998 on the bottom of the bill it says subject to court proceedings why if i have never missed a payment and they set the payment plan up would they want to take me to court i was told by the council unless my financial situation changed then the payment plan would stay the same any advice would be brill

Thanks lisa

It could be because its coming to the end of the financial tax year

If you have never had a liability order granted by the court this could be the reason

a liability order gives them the legal right to collect the debt by other means

bailiffs,attachment of earnings.

I would go to the council(don't phone) and speak to someone and ask whats going on with your account

it was only a few weeks ago that i spoke to them about this debt i was paying for previous addresses at the same time and they said to just carry on as normal if anything changed they would write to me and explain why if anything that changes were being made IE change if income etc nothing has changed recently thats why i could understand it.

I have spoken to the same woman all the time regarding this debt and she has always helped i dont want to go to court if i can help it but my head is a bit done in with this today

why if i have never missed a payment and they set the payment plan up would they want to take me to court

Because they make money out of taking people to court, lots of it. The cost to them will be £3 but they will add on up to £140 to your bill.

Did you know that in 2007, the councils in England made well in excess of £200million in liability order fees. Does that answer your question?