Issue with Council Highways dept over my land

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My land drops on to the A5 and the retaining wall at the bottom is due for repairs to satisfy EEC regs.

The council have just informed me they will be repairing and repointing the wall, removing the 7 mature trees and vegetation along the top of the wall and replacing it with an open ranch fence just 4' high.

Thus exposing us to an open view of the main A5 an increase in noise levels and a big decrease in security as Kids will be able to now easily nip over the new fence and use my garden as a right of way to the houses along the back of my house and land.

Where do I start to stop it, as they are talking about starting in 2-3 weeks time

Are the trees on your land? Or is this part of the road verge? It seems unduly hasty in arranging the removal of the wall and replacement, assuming it is your property. If (as it appears) the work is required, why are they repainting and repointing, yet replacing it with ranch fencing - or is this on TOP of the existing wall to ensure continued privacy?

Climbing a fence does not create a right of way - and if it is your property, I can think of useful plants that will discourage the action you feel will become a problem.

Sorry to say that you find yourself in a difficult position. I am guessing over a long period of time, the vegetation has grown up around and over the existing wall, which has probably contributed to the damage to the wall. And the lack of maintenance from the council.

However when the wall was originally built i expect that your property was exposed to the A5 as the vegetation did not exist at that time. The council is doing what it is supposed to do by protecting its assests from damage.

I would suggest that you write to the Highways Assesst Manager and request that they consider a different kind of fence which you are willing to contribute 50% towards the costs. Explain to them the impact to your property that will be caused by the works, and that you want to meet with them to discuss options.

I note that you say the works will start in 2 weeks. in which case i would send them a email instead. ring up the council and get the email address for the manager.