Council court sumons

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had the last 2 payments to make on my council tax and got a letter reminding me i hadn't paid and i had a week to pay before being taken to court and the full amount becoming payable.

I made the payment although it was a little over a week after the reminder. this was on the 29th Jan. I then would have been left with `1 last payment. I went on holiday then to come home to find a sumons for the 2 payments plus 50 court costs. The date of issue was 3rd Feb, 5 days after making the payment, by card over the phone. Can i get out of paying court costs as they obviously didn't check the account before issuing?

• 2 weeks later...

When you receive a Final Notice, the balance for the remainder of the year becomes payable immediately. As you only paid 1 month instead of the full balance they are able to summons you for any amount still due.

If you contact them before it goes to court they should make an agreement with you to pay the remainder off including the court costs.

If its already gone to court they should send you a form for you to give details of benefits you receive or your employer's details for them to go for an attachment. At this stage you should still be able to reach an agreement with them for paying off the balance.

At least you won't have any extra bailiff's costs.

When you receive a Final Notice, the balance for the remainder of the year becomes payable immediately. As you only paid 1 month instead of the full balance they are able to summons you for any amount still due.

If you contact them before it goes to court they should make an agreement with you to pay the remainder off including the court costs.

If its already gone to court they should send you a form for you to give details of benefits you receive or your employer's details for them to go for an attachment. At this stage you should still be able to reach an agreement with them for paying off the balance.

At least you won't have any extra bailiff's costs.