Can i rent my property too Unemployed Brother, Can they claim housing benefit?>

scouse12345
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As long as you set up a proper rental agreement then I would have thought it would be no problem.

That's my personal view, hopefully someone knowledgeable will comment later.

Best wishes.

Rae.

You can get housing benefit if you rent from a family member but there has to be a proper tenancy agreement in place. Also if you currently have a mortgage on the property you will need to have permission from the lender to rent it out, assuming you are not on a buy to lease mortgage.

As long as everything is correct and above board there should not be a problem. I enquired last year with my housing benefit section as we nearly moved into a relatives property and that was what they told me.

Given the amount of housing benefit fraud there is going on though, they may look at things a little closer and I would just give your council a quick ring to check what their position is on it.

Hope that is of some help to you:)

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

You need to check if his entitlement would cover the rental value as a suitable property. Setting yourself up as landlord isn't cheap as you stilll have to fulfill the legal requirements.

If you have any financial ties with your relation..bank accounts, loans or mortgages these will be questioned.

Expect an increase in insurance and mortgage payments, if it's not already BTL.

Hi, I may be wrong but i think you have a mortgage with capstone.

When i asked if i could rent out my house they told me only if all arrears were paid up to date. They also said they would charge me an extra 1% interest each month. They then said not to try and do it without telling them because if a tenant wanted to claim housing benefit etc the benefit agency would want proof from the mortgage company to say they agreed to the house being rented out.

Personally i think what does it matter as long as the mortgage company get their money. But we all know with capstone you can never win.

I just read upon the directgove website, says "

Who isn't eligible

You can't usually get Housing Benefit if:

• you have savings of over £16,000, unless you are aged 60 or over and getting the 'guarantee credit' of Pension Credit
  • you live in the home of a close relative
  • you're a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children)
  • you're an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK

sourcehttp://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926

Think you cannot rent out to a close relative by reading this???