Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder scouse12345 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    May 2009

Default Can i rent my property too Unemployed Brother, Can they claim housing benefit?>

As per title i think....

Does anyone have knowledge regarding renting a property i own too my brother, he is currently in reciept of housing benefit and income support..?>

Thanks for any advice.

Scouse.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    a world of my own ...

Default Re: Can i rent my property too Unemployed Brother, Can they claim housing benefit?>

As long as you set up a proper rental agreement then I would have thought it would be no problem.
    That's my personal view, hopefully someone knowledgeable will comment later.
    Best wishes.
    Rae.

Basic Account Holder Simon7685 Informative Simon7685 Informative Simon7685 Informative Simon7685's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Scarborough

Default Re: Can i rent my property too Unemployed Brother, Can they claim housing benefit?>

You can get housing benefit if you rent from a family member but there has to be a proper tenancy agreement in place. Also if you currently have a mortgageicon on the property you will need to have permission from the lender to rent it out, assuming you are not on a buy to lease mortgageicon.

As long as everything is correct and above board there should not be a problem. I enquired last year with my housing benefit section as we nearly moved into a relatives property and that was what they told me.

Given the amount of housing benefit fraud there is going on though, they may look at things a little closer and I would just give your council a quick ring to check what their position is on it.

Hope that is of some help to you

IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO
    My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - WON / 19 November 2007

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance WON / 28 November 2007

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder scouse12345 Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2009

Cheers Simon.

Shall look into the points you rasied.

Scouse.

Basic Account Holder EbenezerTwist Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2009

Benefits adviser service : Directgov - Do it online

Used this site a few months ago. Has stuff on your subject
    ET

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Crapstone Highly informative Crapstone Highly informative Crapstone Highly informative Crapstone Highly informative Crapstone Highly informative Crapstone Highly informative Crapstone Highly informative Crapstone's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2009

You need to check if his entitlement would cover the rental value as a suitable property. Setting yourself up as landlord isn't cheap as you stilll have to fulfill the legal requirements.

If you have any financial ties with your relation..bank accounts, loans or mortgages these will be questioned.

Expect an increase in insurance and mortgageicon payments, if it's not already BTL.

Basic Account Holder uneverdid Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Hi, I may be wrong but i think you have a mortgageicon with capstone.

When i asked if i could rent out my house they told me only if all arrears were paid up to date. They also said they would charge me an extra 1% interesticon each month. They then said not to try and do it without telling them because if a tenant wanted to claim housing benefit etc the benefit agency would want proof from the mortgageicon company to say they agreed to the house being rented out.
    Personally i think what does it matter as long as the mortgage company get their money. But we all know with capstone you can never win.

Basic Account Holder janieski Novitiate

Cagger since
    Nov 2009

I just read upon the directgove website, says "
    Who isn't eligible

You can't usually get Housing Benefit if:
    • you have savings of over 16,000, unless you are aged 60 or over and getting the 'guarantee credit' of Pension Credit
    • you live in the home of a close relative
    • you're a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children)
    • you're an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK
    sourcehttp://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOthe rSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926

Think you cannot rent out to a close relative by reading this???

Basic Account Holder Aviva Informative Aviva Informative Aviva Informative

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

That should apply to people who live with the relative not people who rent on a formal tenancy agreement a property from a relative who lives elsewhere.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE