• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Calling all BAYV Customers - Your help is required

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently working on a CAG "Buy as You View" customer advice factsheet - a similar item to our existing CAG BrightHouse factsheet which you may have already seen. If you haven't, you can view it HERE.

CAG has received a lot of complaints about BAYV recently.

Although BAYV has been trading for quite some time longer than BrightHouse, their business model is very similar, although there does appear to be one or two subtle differences. The most noteable difference is the requirement of a TV coin meter to make payments.

This is one bit I am particularly uncomfortable about, because this means the customer MUST allow BAYV reps into their home to empty it. (Once money has been put into the meter (which belongs to BAYV) the money THEN instantly becomes the PROPERTY of BAYV, and by denying access to it could be considered as theft - and by opening and emptying the meter yourself would almost certainly be seen as theft... and criminal damage!)

This creates a bit of a legal grey area, one (it would seem) BAYV are quick to exploit if repossessing goods - with or WITHOUT any kind of court order.

I am also concerned about agreements being re-financed mid term - and, I understand, having remaining interest carried over into new agreements. And, of course, refinanced agreements appear to cause the customer to lose any accrued rights regarding early settlement and repossession rights.

I am also very keen to learn more about the company's "optional" service cover, and theft and accidental damage cover policies. These policies are usually worthless as the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1973 provides all the rights a customer needs - although, it has to be said, BAYV are the ONLY rent-to-own company I have seen that states "your statutory rights are unaffected" in relation to their service cover policies on their website.

I am currently in the process of obtaining BAYV agreements (hire purchase, service cover and theft/accidental damage cover) for research, and have spoken to a several BAYV customers already. I did invite BAYV to assist (from the start) with this factsheet, but the company declined - telling CAG:

"..We are pleased that CAG has given us the opportunity to resolve some customer issues that have appeared on the site. You have also given us some insight into enhancing our internal customer service programme to improve the overall Buy As You View customer experience. We also love the idea of a publishing a Fact Sheet. However, we have decided to work on one for our own website rather than one for the CAG forum.."

I will, of course, give BAYV the opportunity to view the completed CAG factsheet (and comment in an official capacity) before it is published here.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to assist (horror stories, good service stories, etc) please contribute to this thread.

Many thanks

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote this earlier then my browser went off and it has took me ages to do it all again. This time i saved it in Wordpad (Windows 7) so if it does not work i still have a copy on the laptop.

I would like to share my experience with this despicable company. This is very long but worth a read.

In December 2000 I had a salesman from Buy as You View cold called me at my home. He persuaded me to buy a Television from them costing about £5 per week. I agreed and the TV was delivered the following day. I was happy with it but once I had been paying for a year the collector (who emptied the TV and knew my daughters 2nd birthday was coming up) started to push me into buying more goods (a bed for my daughter and essentials for the kitchen) and I stupidly agreed. Over the years I bought more and they payments kept going up but I was coping.

By December 2006 I was paying £160 every 8 weeks to BAYV which left me with little money to pay other bills and buy food. In January 2007 I found out that I was going to be moving house (after neighbours had made my life hell for 2 years) and I wrote to BAYV (sending the letter recorded delivery) telling them my new address. I didn’t hear anything from BAYV by the time I was due to move in February 2007 so I telephoned BAYV and they took my new address details.

On the day of the move the TV (from BAYV) was badly damaged in transit so I phoned BAYV and they told me to dispose of it. They also said they would send someone round to attach a meter to a small TV I had. No-one from BAYV ever turned up.

I phoned them every week and I got the same response that they would send someone out. In the end I gave up and left them to it.

In August 2007 a Representative from BAYV turned up at my house and started shouting at me on my doorstep. He loudly announced that I owed his company money and he wanted all the money I owed ( £2000 ) or he would be taking all my stuff. I told him to leave as he was scaring my 7 year old daughter but he told me to pay up. Several of my neighbours were in their gardens and they could hear every word he said to me. I tried to tell him I didn’t have that kind of money but he barged past me, went into my kitchen and dragged my tumble dryer across the floor. He said that wouldn't be the end of it and he would make sure I was arrested for 'absconding'. He then took the tumble dryer out of my house and tried to put it in his car but it wouldn't fit and he dumped the dryer in front of my fence. I went out to tell him he could not leave the dryer there but he sped off out of my street in his car. I then went out with my daughter to get lunch and when I returned the dryer had gone. I was told by one of my neighbours that the scrap man had taken the dryer.

The next day I contacted my local Citizens Advice Bureau who told me to write to BAYV to complain about the Rep as he had breached several OFT Debt Collection Guidelines and ask for a breakdown of what I owed. The CAB also sent me a copy of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines with all the guidelines the Rep had breached highlighted for me. I wrote to BAYV and they did reply promising an investigation into the Reps behavior.

In September 2007 I was visited by the Police who had received a complaint from the BAYV Rep accusing me of theft. The officers wanted me to go with them immediately (on a Saturday night at 9pm) but as I had no-one to look after my 7 year old daughter (the officers even asked me to leave her with a neighbour which I refused to do as I didn’t know anyone in the area well enough) they agreed that I would come to the Police Station the following night at 9pm.

I went to the Police Station the following night at 9pm and I was arrested on suspicion of theft. I refused to speak to them without a solicitor, I was searched, had to hand in all my possessions, I had to take my trainers off before I was put in a cold and filthy cell where I was waiting for a Duty Solicitor to arrive.

When the Solicitor arrived he told me that BAYV had told the Police that I had moved house taking the goods I was paying for without telling them and had therefore committed theft. I told the solicitor my side of the story and then the Police officer came in to interview me. I gave my side of the story and the officer said they would bail me. BAYV said I had stolen the TV (worth £300 new and paid off 5 times over), a vacuum cleaner (worth about £100 and paid off twice over), a stereo system (which had been returned twice due to faults and I didn’t get anything to replace it) and the Tumble Dryer (which the rep had left by my fence). I had my DNA taken, my fingerprints and photo taken too. I was bailed until a date in October and they officer dropped me off near my home at 1am in the morning. I was told not to contact BAYV in the meantime.

On my bail date in October the Police Officer phoned me to tell me that he was extending my bail until November 2007 as BAYV had not been in touch and had not provided the evidence they had promised. 1 day before the November bail date I received a letter from the Police Officer informing me that he was extending the bail date until January 2008 as he had still not heard anything from BAYV despite phoning them on a weekly basis asking for the evidence they had promised him.

I was not happy about the bail being extended again and the stress of the situation was causing problems for me. I was not sleeping properly, not eating and constantly arguing with my boyfriend. I went to my doctor who said I was depressed and prescribed me strong sleeping tablets which left me in a dazed state.

On my January bail date my solicitor phoned to tell me that the police wanted me to accept a caution even though they still had no evidence. The solicitor told me not to accept the caution under any circumstances as I would be admitting I was guilty and I could be arrested and charged at a later date. The solicitor told me that the police wanted me to take a caution to get it over with but I would never admit to anything I hadn't done. I went to the Police Station to answer my bail where I was kept waiting for an hour before the Officer came out with a letter extending my bail until the end of February 2008. I then got another phone call off my solicitor who was not happy and he told the officer that if he didn’t have any evidence by the time I was due to answer bail then they should be dropping the charge.

A few days before I had to answer bail in February 2008 a Bail Cancellation Notice was put through my letterbox at midnight. I phoned my solicitor who told me that the Police had dropped the case until they had evidence to charge me. That was 2 years ago and I have heard nothing from the Police since.

I then wrote to BAYV 5 times (all sent recorded and signed for by the same member of staff) and I only received 1 letter back asking for me to provide all the letters I sent but I received no reply after that. I felt that BAYV were ignoring me so I contacted the Financial Ombudsman Service who investigated for me. They had the same problem with BAYV not replying to letters but after 6 months the FOS finally got to speak to someone who offered to wipe off the debt I owed in order to settle the case. I accepted this over the phone and then the FOS confirmed it in writing. I haven't heard anything since.

My advice is to avoid Buy as You View and save up instead. If you are really desperate for an essential item (fridge freezer or washing machine) then go to Brighthouse (and i know you will hate me for saying that Lefty) as they are usually cheaper than BAYV.

I will be happy to help you in anyway i can Lefty. You have helped me out a lot with Brighthouse so it is the least i can do.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

hello there i would really like to know what type of help your after lefty.

buy as you view complaints keep on coming and i do think what your doing might be most helpfull indeed .

we seem to enter into grey areas indeed when you go into meters and also h p laws ie supply of goods act implied terms 1973.

blondies letter about b a y v seem so realistic to brighthouse there methods and behaviour.

having been with both companys i feel they both adopt the same tatics.

you must consider that a majority of of these customers are vaunerable people either on benefits or low incomes that these customers serve or dont .

perhaps the need is to advise and clarify the situations customers facefrom there dealings .cheers glen

2 years ago purchased a indeset washing machine from b a y v on a h p agreement over 3 yrs.

this machine was most problematic indeed and at a early stage began breaking down .

about 6 times the washer broke down and repairs was serious problems indeed mother board had packed up on 3 occasions also a futher occasion came home kitchen area was flooded were latch was not installed properley door came open.

i made my b a y v rep aware that this appliance was not right to many faults also indeset as well but my comments was just ignored no one showed no real intrest just a moaning old customer.

july 1st 2009 disaster struck the washer exploded and burst into flames causing thousands of pounds of damage to my home.

without delay i contacted buy as you view and told me they where sending an indeset engineer out to sort the washer out .

some 3 days later indeset turned up and decided the washer was to badly damaged to repair just laughed.

later that evening the area manager from b a y v came to my home inspected the damage said to me he would have to contact someone else with this matter as he had never come accross this situation before.

some one would call me on monday to advise what was going on to date this call never materialised.

a week later i allowed the washer to be taken for inspection to the manufacturer.

started e mailing and writing to b a y v but with no response at all.

confirmation came from indeset a fault had been found suprise suprise the mother board.

continued to contact b a y v e mailed wrote letters even rang them up,on the phone i was finding no help at all from customer services.on several occasions i asked for a manager or director was told no we are trained to deal with customers like you.

as weeks turned into months we was getting no futher .

october 09 i then decided to pull the plug on b a y v would not allow them access to the property to empty the meter .

but did state to them they can come in and inspect there goods at a pr arranged time agreed in writing by both of us.

we then received threats from individuals into accounts regarding our non payments.

we was then asked to supply the fire report late october 09.after a lot of hesitation we agreed to supply the fire report as long as they paid for it and we had a copy.

b a y v paid the fee for the report to this date we have seen no copy of the fire report.

b a y v then started sending us letters of breach of our agreement threats of court ect.

we asked them for updated balances and also copies of all live agreements that was held with b a y v .

to date this information never arrived the lack of urgencey by them to reply to letters e mails and requests where just ignored no one gave a real toss.

can you imagine what it was like to live in a house with a 4 yr old 9 yr old 11 yr old 2 adults,without cooking facilities,without hot water,without washing without heating due to the serious nature of this fire damaged it had caused.

middle of november 2009 eventfull day indeed spoke with male from accounts dept at b a y v very nice helpfull person explained situation to him.

he stated he would try and help.

the next day i got a letter from indeset insurers in italy,they stated found a fault in washing machine therefore liability would not be disputed.

trading standards contacted me advised me as it was a h p agreement then the responsiblity lay with the finance company who paid the retailer.

this was under the supply of goods act implied terms 1973.

that company was dunraven finance looking it up same address as b a y v .

some days later in the evening end of nov 09 i had a telephone call from the cheif execative of b a y v told him the story and he said he would sort it out.

the next day a woman rang me and wanted to know the situation and the cost of the damage.

she rang me every working day to update me.

in the mean time indeset appointed loss adjusters intending to visit the house a weeks time.

but never turned up due to illness,rang this lady who i know as operational director as b a y v .

she seemed to grab the bull by the horns to get this resolved in december christmas looming she vetted the builders had run ins with indeset,and said one tuesday night on the phone your work will start tomorrow wed but indeset wish to look at the damage.she said they were all coming to visit our home on wednesday dinner time.

she assured me the work will start wed.

this director turned up along with area manager loss adjuster for indeset 2 hrs late.

after a delay the builders was ordered to start work by the b a y v director.

dismay of the loss adjuster indeed she insisted must be finished for christmas.

the other damage was viewed and all left .

we was given a hamper for our troubles.

the work was completed on 23rd dec 2009.at the cost of 8,000 pound.

we tried to pursue the other losses with the loss adjuster but for what he said

was indeset would offer only a gesture of goodwill one of offer of 500 pound

the loss adjuster was rather threatning and began using a bullying tatics against us.

he gave us 21 days to consider the offer then decided to withdraw the offer

then give us only 24hrs to decide,yes,or

no if no then court action would be defended very vigorsouley indeed.

consumer direct was contacted indeed they advised i had no claim against the manufacturer under the supply of goods implied terms 1973 act.

as the machine was out of warranty so had no obligation legal action would fail.

so im left with rooms to redecorate lost all meals claims lost all washing claims

also deep fat fryer and kettle not replaced not even consideration of all the clothes we lost.

also for our suffering not a mention of compensation.

this lasted for 176 days of suffering,yes it was suffering as well.

i will add know if it was not for the operational director and her no nonsense attitude this matter would not still be resolved.

she was the only person at b a y v that was constructive in moving this matter forward .

no other member of the b a y v team from customer service to collectors to accounts to managers did nothing at all.

the attitude of the customer service team was awfull .

the lack of dealing with requests for paper work never got anything from them .will they change indeed or learned something dont think so back to the old ways was told yesterday by manager that b a y v rep will call today sat at home all day today guess what no sign of b a y v rep ,told you learned nothing.

this was a tremendous upset to us as a family,we found all the time it took for b a y v to listen,far to long indeed.

this was a major incident to be left like this for such a lengh of time caused severe stress on us also the conditions we was forced to live in as well,for such a long period of time is a disgrace.the cost of the damage was£8000.

if b a y v had more directors like the one i refer to here the company would be a far better place.

not really no confidence in this company at all would not really buy again would not really recomend them to any body as well.

THIS IS THE INDESET WASHER THAT BURST INTO FLAMES

C:\Users\Glen\Pictures\fire damage 4.jpg[/img][/img]

• 1 month later...

Here Goes,

We have been BAYV customers since 2005 and did not know how the agreements worked, i.e. if you get other products before the one you have is paid off in full the outstanding amount is the rolled over to your new product.Which means the product that you thought you had one payment to make before its yours is not yours until the new item is paid off,also if the old item breaks after three years even if you dont own it becasue you got another item 1 WEEK to soon then the supply of goods act 1973 does not apply!!.

Anyway, we were missold a pc which we were told would only add around £30 a month onto our account,Wrong it more than doubled it to around £230.But weeks later we found out the person that missold it was sacked because he was doing it to other ppl, but BAYV would not take the product back as we had signed an agreement(without reading it all i know,but lesson learned)Ontop of all of this the cooker started playing up so we rang BAYV who told us the item was no longer under insurance cover, so we asked is it ours?they replied no as the finance was rolled over to a new product and that when the fun really started.We contacted Consumer Direct they sent us a temlpate for the Supply of Goods Act 1973 and how to do a covering letter, we sent one,BAYV did not reply so then we contacted Trading Standars who said their was nothing really we could do, so we left it at that.

In the meantime we had a white Nintendo DS that broke within 6 months of having it,So again we rang BAYV they said without even looking atit that the damage was caused by us and therfore not under warranty.I argued that you could not make that decision without even looking at it!.So they arranged for someone to collect it they never did.We contacted consumer direct again and was told to go back to BAYV so we did.THey promised the same but did NOTHING.Consumer direct then passed us too Trading Standards who said we need to speak to someone senior or write to them as what they are doing is wrong.So we contacted a manager and mentioned trading standards and he became hot and bothered lol.He promised to have the DS collected within a week that was 3 MONTHS AGO!!!.We lost heart and forgot about it until we wanted to get contents insurance to see if we can bring the payments down.The lday we spoke to said she was a senior member of staff and that the total cover we were paying was around £8 every eight weeks which sounds mad as we are now paying £180 every eight weeks after having to refinance the whole agreements as the payments were just too much at £230.

We then said about how we were still waitng for the DS to be sorted out and how Discusted we were about having to pay for a cooker that does not work properly, still dont own but they dont have to fix it.THe lady on the phone then said she wanted to escaltae the call to Senior management,and my better half was put through to apparently a MARKETING DIRECTOR by the name of John ...........did not catch the last name and the lady afterwards was reluctant to give it!!!He said he would look into the cooker situation.15 mins later we got a call back from thelday saying we would be contacted by Hotpoint within the hour to arrange a service call for the cooker!!!!!!.

Now somthing does not smell right to me at all.Why after all this time of BAYV doing NOTHING are they being helpful?????? and why not deal with our other problems like the P.C. etc?.

Lefty if there is anything i can do to help or if ive left any info out etc.Please let me know.John Wayne has got nothing on these COWBOYS!!!!

Edited by Ripoffasyouview
added too

Good morning.

We spoke on the phone yesterday about the issues you had with the service from BAYV. You specifically referred to the problem you had with the cooker.

We confirmed the cooker was out of warranty but that we would carry out a service call completely free of charge. As you have correctly said, someone from our service department contacted you within the hour to arrange a suitable time for an engineer to call.

We then called you again to ensure that you were happy with the arrangement. Which you confirmed .

We were not made aware that you had issues with your Nintendo nor where we made aware of issues with your PC. Neither of these where discussed on the call , which as advertised are monitored and recorded.

I'm sorry that you are still not happy, but we can only help if you give us all of the details.

We have the full interests of our customers at heart and admit that sometimes we don't get it right.

However, on the occasions that we don't get things right, we will correct the situation.

I repeat, we can only do this, if you give us full details.

If you would like me to give you a call again, I will gladly do so.

Best regards

BAYV

Edited by BAYV
spelling error

Hi BAYV,

The DS was mention to the lady we were speaking too at that part of the reason we had the call escalated.

Regardiing the P.C. we have tried on many occasions over the past TWO years to sort it out but the people on the other side of the phones have either fobbed us off or pasted us on to arear manager to and all he was bothered about doing was seeing about refinancing if we were struggling he collected money weekly and saw that we could cope so nothing was done that was over a years ago.We had to refinance not long ago as the payments from the PC are very high.

Why does your company not state verbally (not on about small print) at the begining of the contract that if you add new items to your account before the old one is FULLY paid for the finance of the old item gets added to the new one so you dont legally own both until the new one is paid off??????,it nothing but a legal loophole!!

Granted on this time you have done your bit,but its the first time in 5 YEARS you have stepped up to the plate ,its a pity if you have to speak to a senior member of BAYV all the time to get something done.THe lady we spoke to Knew NOTHING about the supply of goods act!!!!, is this adequate training???.It shows that all is not well with BAYV if your company is monitoring this forum!!!!.

But as you suggested we will call again to sort out the nintendo DS and the P.C. and we shall see how it goes.

bayv where do i start

i had accidental damage cover and when are flat screen broke they agreed to give us a loan tv till they fixed the new one which at first was great.

but couple of weeks later i ring them to find out when i will be getting my new tv back to which they told me i wouldn't as i was in arrears a stupid amount less than 20 quid and because the tv was broken in this arrears period it voided my accidental damage cover,

they came to my house few weeks later to collect the loan tv but we told them to do one as they wouldn't be getting it back until i had my new one fixed and returned to which they threatened us with the police.

we offered are phone for them to call the police but they told us they would do it back at the office.

we never heard back from them again

vile company to deal with many threats but didnt back it up with nothing

there very big in my town in south wales.

Mr B

buy as you view well i have a tv i got in jan 07 and still paying for it now which is 3 years later i got a pc and a camcorder too and i dont understand the warranty or the insurance i am paying and i rang buy as you view to request to pay by direct debt and there said there would arrange it so have that a rep from buy as you view came out took the meter off and taken the contents of the box and told me there would be a manager here after easter to do the dd forms now this morning the collector who normally collector turned up to empty meter and told him someone had been so i rang the office and there have no record of someone coming out to collect the meter and have no record of my payment what was in the meter now i have been threaded with police and there will take my goods back there also told me i was not covered on any of my items as it was refinanced.

• 2 weeks later...
bayv where do i start

i had accidental damage cover and when are flat screen broke they agreed to give us a loan tv till they fixed the new one which at first was great.

but couple of weeks later i ring them to find out when i will be getting my new tv back to which they told me i wouldn't as i was in arrears a stupid amount less than 20 quid and because the tv was broken in this arrears period it voided my accidental damage cover,

they came to my house few weeks later to collect the loan tv but we told them to do one as they wouldn't be getting it back until i had my new one fixed and returned to which they threatened us with the police.

we offered are phone for them to call the police but they told us they would do it back at the office.

we never heard back from them again

vile company to deal with many threats but didnt back it up with nothing

there very big in my town in south wales.

Mr B

Really good site for information on repossession of goods

Hire purchase and debt : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

• 2 weeks later...

hi was wondering if you could help, i got a tv from bayv 2 years ago and they have had it back 4 times in a couple of months for repair. They then told me i wasn't getting it back as they can not repair it, they were sending me a reconditioned xenius tv, i had a top of the range sanyo, after some discussion they said i can have a new xenius tv, when they delivered it, it was nowhere as good as my sanyo and research shows they are not a reliable tv. I called to say i didn't want it i wanted a tv as good as the sanyo. The manager would not come and speak to me at home and have just been informed they will give me a reconditioned sanyo when they eventually get 1 and i still have to make another years payment on my original tv. When i joined bayv i was told i was covered old for new if it was unrepairable. What should i do

I am unsure why you have been told this if the origional product was new and we are unable to repair it. Then under the legislation we are bound to repalce with a model of similar make and specification.

Clearly it is not always possible to replace identical for identical but you should not have had a Xenius model.

I can only offer our sincere apology and if you would like to contact me directly on 01656 754 522. I will arrange for a suitable replacement.

Kind Regards

BAYV

hi was wondering if you could help, i got a tv from bayv 2 years ago and they have had it back 4 times in a couple of months for repair. They then told me i wasn't getting it back as they can not repair it, they were sending me a reconditioned xenius tv, i had a top of the range sanyo, after some discussion they said i can have a new xenius tv, when they delivered it, it was nowhere as good as my sanyo and research shows they are not a reliable tv. I called to say i didn't want it i wanted a tv as good as the sanyo. The manager would not come and speak to me at home and have just been informed they will give me a reconditioned sanyo when they eventually get 1 and i still have to make another years payment on my original tv. When i joined bayv i was told i was covered old for new if it was unrepairable. What should i do

Read the supply of goods act :confused:

Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 (c. 35)

Update ... Received a final response off Chris Webb of Buy As You View . Apparantly their emlpoyess are all trained to sell warranty to customers ,what a joke .I was not once asked if I wished to purchase it ,or explained what it was for . Banks etc are having to pay millions back in miss selling of payment protection ...Insurance ,why should Buy As You View be any different ? I asked them to look into credit agreements I requested to Buy As You View under the consumer credit act 1974 ,as 2 agreements bare signatures which arent mine . The letter of final response doesnt even mention these agreements .I am now going to get this company exposed for what they are doing to customers ,as I have been approached by 2 reporters . and a journalist about this company ..Anyone wanting to speak with BBC or HTV about Buy As You View message me and I will pass the names and numbers onto you

I am currently working on a CAG "Buy as You View" customer advice factsheet - a similar item to our existing CAG BrightHouse factsheet which you may have already seen. If you haven't, you can view it HERE.

CAG has received a lot of complaints about BAYV recently.

Although BAYV has been trading for quite some time longer than BrightHouse, their business model is very similar, although there does appear to be one or two subtle differences. The most noteable difference is the requirement of a TV coin meter to make payments.

This is one bit I am particularly uncomfortable about, because this means the customer MUST allow BAYV reps into their home to empty it. (Once money has been put into the meter (which belongs to BAYV) the money THEN instantly becomes the PROPERTY of BAYV, and by denying access to it could be considered as theft - and by opening and emptying the meter yourself would almost certainly be seen as theft... and criminal damage!)

This creates a bit of a legal grey area, one (it would seem) BAYV are quick to exploit if repossessing goods - with or WITHOUT any kind of court order.

I am also concerned about agreements being re-financed mid term - and, I understand, having remaining interest carried over into new agreements. And, of course, refinanced agreements appear to cause the customer to lose any accrued rights regarding early settlement and repossession rights.

I am also very keen to learn more about the company's "optional" service cover, and theft and accidental damage cover policies. These policies are usually worthless as the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1973 provides all the rights a customer needs - although, it has to be said, BAYV are the ONLY rent-to-own company I have seen that states "your statutory rights are unaffected" in relation to their service cover policies on their website.

I am currently in the process of obtaining BAYV agreements (hire purchase, service cover and theft/accidental damage cover) for research, and have spoken to a several BAYV customers already. I did invite BAYV to assist (from the start) with this factsheet, but the company declined - telling CAG:

"..We are pleased that CAG has given us the opportunity to resolve some customer issues that have appeared on the site. You have also given us some insight into enhancing our internal customer service programme to improve the overall Buy As You View customer experience. We also love the idea of a publishing a Fact Sheet. However, we have decided to work on one for our own website rather than one for the CAG forum.."

I will, of course, give BAYV the opportunity to view the completed CAG factsheet (and comment in an official capacity) before it is published here.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to assist (horror stories, good service stories, etc) please contribute to this thread.

Many thanks

Cheers

Lefty

Hi ,I would like to share my experiences of Buy As You View ( BAYV) ,I have already posted on many Buy As You View threads on here .

I was a customer with Buy As You View from 1990 - 2007 ,back as far as the days of Just Rentals before th comapny nam changed to Buy As You View .

It was a handy way of purchasing goods when financially unable to afford them upfront . However I suffered with illness and fell into arrears with this company and to cut a long story short ,I was harrassed by an employee of Buy As You View in 2007 ,he rang the local cafe I would go to for a cuppa with friends asking for me ,due to the fact he telephoned my mobile and my son who was 12 at the time and staying with my sister due to my ill health answered the mobile phone as I had given him my mobile phone so my son could keep in contact with me whenever he wanted . My son not knowing any different told this employee of BAYV that I go to this certain cafe in town .

The following day this employee turned up at my home ,i was unwell and he introduced himself as a debt collectorlink3.gif for BAYV .He explained that he was there to take the goods from my home . I was alone in the house and would not let him in ,and he said he would return the following day ,I then asked a good friend of mine to be present when he called .He had a sheet of a4 paper with him and at the bottom it clearly stated goods probaly not at customers home ,probaly sold ,due to a drug habit . I remember crying and my friend being very disgusted and annoyed at this statement ,as the only drugs I have ever taken have been prescribed to me by a consultant due to a history of severe depression and a nervous breakdown ,of which I have suffered since the birth of my son in 1995 ,and still do .

I showed the goods in question to the so called 'debt collector' to prove I was still in possession of the goods and they had not been sold . The empoyee obviously realised how upset I was and the severity of the allegation made of the items being sold for drug addiction ,and soon changed his manner .In light of the situation he took the television I had from Buy As You View ,paper work of return of tv I still have in my possession . He however didnt take the pc and monitor ( which is still in my home ) . I heard no more off Buy As You View as he told me the remainder of the account balance would be written off as a gesture of goodwill .

It was recently due to media coverage ,internet sites I learned of mis - selling of payment protection Insurance ,and remembered all the times Buy As You View added maintencance vouchers to hire purchase agreements ,and not on one occassion asking did I want this warranty ,explain to me what it was for ,how it worked ,or if I had my own insurance to cover the goods .I was mis sold to believe that you had to have this to be able to have goods with them . In my view I was Mis-sold these warrantys ,and also adding interestlink3.gif on the warranty in the hire purchase agreements . I emailed a complaint initially to Graham Clarke ( Chief executive ) ,who then replied stating he had handed my complaint over to Chris Webb ( Regional Director ) ,I then emailed back asking for my agreements under the consumer credit act 1974 . Chris Webb informed me he was dealing with my complaint ,and would search the archives for information I had requested . He then asked to set a meeting up with himself at my home ,which I agreed to . However he only had 1 agreements with him of my accounts before 2007 ,when i ceased to become a customer with BAYV. I also told him of the allegation made about being accused of selling the goods due to a drug problem . I felt this meeting to be a waste of time .I received my agreements ,voucher maintenace order forms through the post ,as I had requested all information held on me ( Subject access requestlink3.gif ) ,Upon receipt of these documents I was very concerned to see 2 agreements which had signatures on which were not mine . .I contacted Chris Webb of this ,asking he look into it . Again cutting a very long story short , I received a final response off Chris Webb ,denying any liability of mis-selling of warranty ,staitng that employess of BAYV are all trained and instructed to explain the full range of options available to their customers along with their associated benefits . That the maintenance cover is clearly indicated on agreements . and I have signed to accept the relevant terms and conditionslink3.gif . I however disagree strongly with his comments of mis selling ,in the hire purchase agreement ,nowhere does it explain in simple form ,that the maintenance is optional and can be cancelled at any time . The box of termination rights ,is about terminating the agreement that they will then be entitled to the return of the goods and half of the total amount payable under an earlier agreement as modified by this agreement .Also the maintenance order forms ,have no clear terms /conditions on them .However on a maintenance voucher I managed to find part 9 of this voucher states that the rights to receive a voucher repair shall not apply where the company shall in its absolute discretion deem that the equipment can no longer be serviced efficiently or economically . Yet they charged me on 1 agreement alone £75.00 for warranty on a video recorder costing £89.99 ,with a 1 year manufacturers warranty ,why would anyone need an extra extended 3 year warranty ,totalling 4 years with manufacturers warranty . Would a vcr expect to be serviced efficiently or economically . In Chris Webb's final response he made no comment or answer to my complaint of the signatures that arent mine . I have involved trading standards now ,and have received my form to send off to the Financial Ombudsmanlink3.gif Services ,I have also been approached by 2 reporters 1 from BBC and another from HTV ,I will do anything to protect people from the harrassment,to customers ,and mis selling this company do . I did email back to Chris Webb ,Graham Clarke ,and Adrian Hill about ignoring my concerns of the 'forged signatures' as yet not 1 of them has replied .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi first time complainer,

Ok where to start, FIRSTLY this company DOES NOT tell its customers about the refinance agreements, or what is at cost, incurred, secondly FACT their interest rates have risen over the course of 4 years to 45.30% ! Though they claim * We have infact brought down our interest rates year on year * Well BAYV my Paper Work tells me otherwise.

Secondly I have been with this company since 2006, I bought a Telly 48 Inches, On a special agreement, 5 years warranty and only paying a pound for 10 hours per pound ! Thats in writing on the original contract with the Sales Regional Director for the South West, a Mr XXXXXXXXX:

After two years we moved house ( on a exchange ) and informed BAYV that we had moved and that the cash box needed emptying, they informed us that would be done within a weeks time, A month went by and no one came.

Then one day a knock at the door, a Agent from BAYV, I assumed to empty said cash box, NO to ask me if I wanted a product from the book !

I told her I was a customer, she checked her files there was no knowledge and was I sure ?!?!?! So I showed her the cash box, to which she said someone will come in time, 3 weeks later we was broken into, we lost a laptop, mobile phone jewellery etc. as one does, the telly they tried to take but was too heavy so they cut the cable off ! and took the cash box.

I rang the police instantly and SOCO came out, I was given the usual spill and a incident number, which I then used to call BAYV who informed me all would be sorted out and leave it too them, to which I did.

The monday came and a guy came out to fix said tv and box and all was ok until the next day when I was visited by a regional accounts manager a Mr XXXXXXXXX: Who thus threatened me in my living room, called me every manner of name under the sun and told me I had to pay back all the monies owing plus costs, to which I then lost it and told him GET OUT or I will call the police. He then placed his finger on me and poked me called me a name so I picked up the phone,

He then panicked and asked what I was doing I told him calling the police to which he then backed down on me, and then said: * I wish for you to pay a extra £5.00 a week into the box to cover this for 6 weeks, then it will be written off. I agreed to that anything really to get him out.

All seemed to be ok and I never saw this guy again, until I requested to buy a new item I wanted. I was flatly told no as my account had been * refinanced * ?!?!?! I asked by who and they could not tell me.

I asked around and no one could help me and was told Id have to wait for 3 more monthly payments.

When I had done that I was told I could have said item, My Agent dealt with it and the product was ordered, the paper work printed off in my home signed and all sorted.. NO MENTION OF ANOTHER REFINANCE !!!

Then last year My Wife wanted a laptop and so I got her one under BAYV offers, and it was dealt with by a Agent who no longer is with the company, and all the paper work was done in the home.

NO MENTION OF ANOTHER REFINANCE !!!

Product arrived and thus within a month Fell apart ! Headphone socket exploded !

Power Cable broke would not charge unless held in a place not wise for the cable to be held in !

So we contacted BAYV who forwarded me to their company that deals with repairs who informed me that they would need the laptop, So I sent it too them, they thus sent it back with a note saying the mother board needs replacing and BAYV wont pay the costs !!! Yet it was still under warranty with them !!!!

About 3 weeks ago they turned up to empty the cash box, A XXXXXXX and a new Agent, XXXXX. I told them of my issues and Paul Clayton told me he would resolve them in due course and give him time.

I informed him of my concerns of having a telly for over 4 years and that is didn't seem to be paid off and he said he would look into it.

The next day he did call me to inform me the laptop would be replaced at no extra cost and that BAYV where at fault and that they had failed me within the warranty time.

But the other issue would take some time to sort as our account was in a mess !!!!

ON THE SAME DAY the trainee Agent who came with Mr XXXXXXX visited us to inform us he had some good news from XXXX !

I told him I had spoken to XXXX just on the phone and informed him of the outcome regarding the Laptop and Tv, to which he replied * thats good about the Laptop, but the TV is wrong, WHEN you buy a new product it is supposed to run along side the item/s already purchased, THUS not refinancing the account AGAIN !

Last week my Own Agent came too visit me, he emptied the cash box and I asked him some things regarding this whole matter, and thus informed him of the issues, to which he said * NO THAT'S NOT RIGHT !!!! * * Products purchased after said 2 year period should run along side the original product/s !

He then informed me he would place a query regarding the matter with XXXXXXX as this was wrong. I will not name the Agent as I would not wish to cost him his job, but none the less I've now been told by THREE people who work for BAYV that how they communicate to their customers, employees, is a major concern and failure ! Miscommunication, Misdirection and a unwillingness to resolve SERIOUS issues !

To this date I have paid for a 48 Inch Plasma TV £8000 pounds.. and I've now been told I will not own the said TV until 2012 !!! due to the three refinances and I am liable because I signed them !!!

Since checking into the whole matter looking on the internet this company really has a bad reputation that is slowly getting worse and someone needs to pull them to book to be held account for how they treat their customers and how they infact RIP OFF people for money ! WITHOUT EXPLAINING to them how they actually operate !

Do you think IF I had known that you would refinance my account every time I had a new product or that you operate behind peoples backs that id still buy off you ?!?!?!

None of us would have ! BUT you didn't give me or any other the chance to seek the right to the information you hold and as to how you conduct business !

So now After Numerous calls to BAYV today requesting to speak to certain individuals I am told they are either in a meeting, or unavailable or someone else is dealing with my issue.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

After speaking to Consumer Direct, Trading Standereds and two other organisations they have ALL informed that I have a case to claim back all my money thus paid so far and request damages from you ! As well as go to the local press and other media outlets !

And that 34 other on going cases are pending with Trading Standereds in the South West at the moment very similar to mine, and would I be interested in pooling my case with theirs to bring court action against you backed by Trading Standereds.

I WONDER WHY ?!?!?! :!:

Edited by Lefty
Removed named individuals

Why choose to be normal when life is so much different from a abnormal view. M.D.S.

Hi there Haywood ja Givemeabreak

Thanks for your very detailed post. I have had to remove the names of individuals for obvious reasons.

It would be interesting to see BAYV comment on this post.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks