Summons, wrong amount claimed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a Summons for unpaid Council Tax, on checking my bank statements I find I have missed a payment but the amount claimed is more than I owe due to me paying more than I should have each month. It's only £9 difference, but does this make the Summons invalid?

The claim will include admin fees added by the Council so they can ask for whatever they like. My son was summonsed for the grand mistake of 6p - overpaid. The Council had added a total of £157 to the amount owed. They could well be doing the same thing and taking you to court because you've been overpaying. Apparently they are within their rights to do this as the law says you must pay according to the schedule.

My son insisted on appearing in court. The Council did not get their money and although he didn't ask for it, my son got his 6p back :)

The claim will include admin fees added by the Council so they can ask for whatever they like. My son was summonsed for the grand mistake of 6p - overpaid. The Council had added a total of £157 to the amount owed. They could well be doing the same thing and taking you to court because you've been overpaying. Apparently they are within their rights to do this as the law says you must pay according to the schedule.

My son insisted on appearing in court. The Council did not get their money and although he didn't ask for it, my son got his 6p back :)

Lol these Councils are a joke aren't they. I can't believe they get away with some of the stuff I've read on this site. I'd like to know why we have to pay in advance for a service we haven't yet received. There would be a public uprising if we had to pay months in advance for gas, phone, food etc!