Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
    Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    May 2006

Default Re: accused of benefit fraud

Quote Originally Posted by loan_ranger View Post
    It'll be for I.S. because HB and CTB are Council administered.
    Nevertheless if the JCP stop your IS they'll tell the Council and the next thing you know is when your HB and CTB get stopped without warning, thus creating even more hardship.
    They are not supposed to stop your benefits until matters are concluded & if they try kick up one hell of a stink

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2008
    I am in
    teramnian!!

They can suspend payments of benefit pending the outcome of an investigation but this cannot be do so "willy nilly". One of the examples given in the DWP suspension and termination guide is that a suspension would not be appropriate if an anonymous letter was received stating that a person receiving JSA was working on a market stall, but it may be appropriate if a fraud investigator visits the market stall and sees the claimant working. The decision to suspend is that of a benefit decision maker, not a fraud investigator. They can suspend the benefit in whole or in part

They must notify the claimant of the suspension in writing using the draft letter DL/SUSTERM 1B

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.
    (exceptions for prior authorisation)

If my advice has been helpful, please show your gratitude by taking a moment to click on the star icon on the bottom strip of my post

download the CAG toolbar

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder nic0404 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

they are not telling me im being investigated though, they have invited me to attend an interview and asked me to take along all my paperwork...nothing as of yet to state an investigation?? Any ideas?

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP Authoritative ErikaPNP's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2008
    I am in
    teramnian!!

Compliance. I've replied on your thread. Your benefit is highly unlikely to be suspended during complicance checks.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.
    (exceptions for prior authorisation)

If my advice has been helpful, please show your gratitude by taking a moment to click on the star icon on the bottom strip of my post

download the CAG toolbar

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    speedfreek Highly informative speedfreek Highly informative speedfreek Highly informative speedfreek Highly informative speedfreek Highly informative speedfreek Highly informative speedfreek Highly informative speedfreek's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2009

Quote Originally Posted by loan_ranger View Post
    It'll be for I.S. because HB and CTB are Council administered.
    Nevertheless if the JCP stop your IS they'll tell the Council and the next thing you know is when your HB and CTB get stopped without warning, thus creating even more hardship.
    It's classed as a change in circumstances by the council.

You are under an obligation to inform your local council office of any change within 30 days.

Until you contact them and provide proof they will automatically suspend the benefit payments.

It's a bit of a pain if you're changing benefits, ill or just had it stopped and need the income. Though it's understandable on the councils part as it stops overpayments to people not entitled any more or signing off.

They will/should send you a letter saying they've been informed of a change by DWP and giving you 30 days from the date on it to provide the evidence requested in it. It will also inform you that your payments will be suspended until such time and the claim closed after the 30 days is up.

As soon as the evidence is provided payments are resumed and anything owed paid.

It's usually sign a statement i.e. I am living off savings until..../provide 1-2 months of bank statements/letter off DWP about entitlement.

I've just had to do this (last Friday) as applying for ESA meant my JSA claim stopped automatically.

Basic Account Holder commiekips Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Imagine how the country's deficit would decrease if the DWP implemented a sensible working system?

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE