HA replacing concrete finial gutters to detriment of private homes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I own an ex-local authority/housing association mid terraced house.

In June 2009 I received the following letter......

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5059/23585310.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4042/20561525.jpg

The guttering at the front of my house was renewed for free because the housing association couldn't renew their properties guttering, leaving mine as originally built. The lack of downpipes, 3 downpipes for 8 terraced houses, that drain directly into underground drains, with no grids or gulleys, meant that they had no option but to replace the guttering on the private houses also.

The replacement method with PVC guttering is at a higher level than the original concrete finial guttering. Therefore as the private houses are not attached to any downpipes, they cannot get water to flow uphill, from the concrete to the plastic. :D

Private Houses on the estate that have concrete guttering and a downpipe were left and the other end of the concrete guttering capped off with cement. The concrete guttering on the LA/HA houses was replaced with new PVC because the water from the new guttering(higher level) could fall into the private houses (lower level) original concrete guttering.

The situation I am in is that of the 8 terraced houses, my house is number 4 of the block. Number 1 is LA/HA and has PVC guttering and a downpipe. Number 2 is private, and has had the original concrete guttering sealed at the end with cement. Numbers 3 and 4 are private and are original concrete. LA/HA have sealed the end of my guttering with cement but have done this at a point on number 5 guttering. They have done this because I wouldn't give permission to touch guttering on my property. So to the detriment of their own property, number 5, they have left a section of concrete in place. Number 5 has the second downpipe.

Numbers 5,6,7 and 8 have all been replaced with PVC. Number 8 has the third downpipe.

The result is that houses number1,2,3 and 4 originally benefited from downpipes 1 and 2. Since the replacement House 1 (LA/HA) has sole use of downpipe number 1. Houses 2,3 and 4 have lost the use of downpipe 1 and have increased water flow into downpipe 2.

I'm wondering if any building regulations or planning regulations have been breached here. The LA/HA houses have been improved to the detriment of the private houses. If the 3 private houses wanted to pay to replace this gutterring system, there is the issue of house 5 (LA/HA) having the eroneous section of concrete left in place, to avoid the (LA/HA) having to replace the full system. Interesting?

I apologise for the length of the post, but I cannot find the answers to this.

HJH

one vision 1a.jpg

one vision 2a.jpg

Is this causing physical damage to property - i.e. leaks or damp?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Is this causing physical damage to property - i.e. leaks or damp?

Thats exactly why I'm interested. The front bedroom of my house had a damp patch so I was chuffed when they were doing that for free. The rear of the house has always been ok. Until this change in the number of downpipes. Baby's bedroom at the rear of the house is now getting damp patches over the window, when we've had none before. I'm also wondering if the removal work of next door, house 5, has dislodged jointing of the guttering on my house. As well as the brute force involved in the removal of house 5 gutters, they drilled a hole through the last section of concrete to facilitate an offset connection to the original downpipe on house 5. Lots of vibration I would think.

Edited by HomerJSimpson

Also, If I wanted to replace my guttering to PVC, that would render houses 2 and 3 with no access to a downpipe. That's why I'm thinking this shouldn't be allowed. The LA/HA wanted to change the guttering system to the terrace, can they lawfully improve their houses to the detriment of private houses?

Edited by HomerJSimpson

In my experience working for government those who complain the loudest get what they want.

The front wet patch is existing so you cannot do anything, but the back is new so you should complain a lot. You are getting a wet patch because water is getting behind the soffits beneath the tiles ( I presume this the most likely cause). Write letters of complaint stating that you want an investigating and a written report of your property. do not take no for an answer. use the formal complaints proceedure, generally make life difficult for them, you will win.