Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    haggis1984 Novitiate haggis1984 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jun 2009

Default Free Laptops for low income families

Sorry if this is a repost but havent seen it mentioned anywhere else.

www.homeaccess.org.uk

Hopefully this will be useful to someone!

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Mossycat Informative Mossycat Informative Mossycat Informative Mossycat Informative

Cagger since : Feb 2008

Default Re: Free Laptops for low income families

I'm watching ebay for them to start been listed

Mossy

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2006

I have seen this before somewhere. Looks fantastic as the kids now have so much computer homework.

Does anyone know of anyone actually receiving one?

Basic Account Holder

Daily Mirror said 5000+ have been given away so far but I don't know of anyone personally.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2008

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mossycat View Post
    I'm watching ebay for them to start been listed

Mossy
    Wouldnt buy a government issue laptop though - it'll probably leave itself on a train after a couple of weeks

Basic Account Holder
    kregrs Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2007

My gf's kids have got them, the 2 oldest have them, got them in June thru the pilot scheme for it. Not overly impressed with them to be honest. Both have got faults and are awaiting repair, the software loaded on them can be troublesome (netintelligence), blocking access to sites such as google and others that they try to use to research for homework. They got o2 dongles which have hardly any signal at home, the other choice was orangeicon, same problem tho.
    Personally I cant see why they've been issued with them, they're 9 and 10yrs old, so not really at an age that they really need to do homework etc on them. I'm not overly impressed with them to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful for them getting them, but do think giving them to kids their age is pointless. At the moment their internet usage is limited to occasional searches on google, and playing games, and they really haven't used the other software, open office etc, so cant see the point in offering it to families with kids their age, surely a bit older, upper/high school age would be better.

Basic Account Holder
    razorc Novitiate

Cagger since : Jun 2006

good idea , but this is only for england , so what about low income sottish familys , is there a sceme the same anyone know

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Blondmusic Informative Blondmusic Informative Blondmusic Informative Blondmusic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kregrs View Post
    My gf's kids have got them, the 2 oldest have them, got them in June thru the pilot scheme for it. Not overly impressed with them to be honest. Both have got faults and are awaiting repair, the software loaded on them can be troublesome (netintelligence), blocking access to sites such as google and others that they try to use to research for homework. They got o2 dongles which have hardly any signal at home, the other choice was orangeicon, same problem tho.
    Personally I cant see why they've been issued with them, they're 9 and 10yrs old, so not really at an age that they really need to do homework etc on them. I'm not overly impressed with them to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful for them getting them, but do think giving them to kids their age is pointless. At the moment their internet usage is limited to occasional searches on google, and playing games, and they really haven't used the other software, open office etc, so cant see the point in offering it to families with kids their age, surely a bit older, upper/high school age would be better.
    I got one of the laptops for my daughter and she loves it. She uses laptops at school so it is easier for her to use a laptop than my slow and noisy desktop pc.

I had problems with Netintelligence too. It blocked Google and Wikipedia which is annoying when my daughter wanted some information for a school project. I ended up uninstalling it off the laptop. Windows 7 has safe internet guards built in anyway. I can keep an eye on my daughter when she is on the laptop as i wont let her take it out of the front room and she knows i can check which websites she has been on.

Blondmusic
    Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady Authoritative sea-sidelady's Avatar

I called earlier and apparently I could qualify

They are sending me out an application form. I will let you know how I get on.

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by sea-sidelady View Post
    I called earlier and apparently I could qualify

They are sending me out an application form. I will let you know how I get on.
    Awesome!

Basic Account Holder
    kregrs Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2007

So how do you uninstall netintelligence? When we tried it asked for a password!

Royalties Account Holder Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2006

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by razorc View Post
    good idea , but this is only for england , so what about low income sottish familys , is there a sceme the same anyone know
    To be fair, Scots get free university education, I know which one I'd rather have for my kids! ;-)

Basic Account Holder
    razorc Novitiate

Cagger since : Jun 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    To be fair, Scots get free university education, I know which one I'd rather have for my kids! ;-)

ye agree with that bookworm , should be free uni for whole place aswell

Royalties Account Holder Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2006

Blog Entries

Don't get me started on that razorc... We got to the point where my DDicon, who was born in Inverness, was thinking of moving back there after 20 yrs down here, just so she could go back in education!!!

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Dec 2008

Very good idea. Unfortunately with it only being for England I dont qualify either.

I bought my daughter her own laptop for her Christmas present. She is 8 and i would definately recommend any child to have one. She uses them in school already (I remember when it was the last year in high school, and only if you were with the 'it' gang). She has partial dyslexia so i have no problems with her using it. It has really helped her.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Blondmusic Informative Blondmusic Informative Blondmusic Informative Blondmusic's Avatar

Smile Re: Free Laptops for low income families

So how do you uninstall netintelligence? When we tried it asked for a password!
    I opened Control Panel (in the start menu), go into Programs and Features, click on the Netintelligence program and Uninstall. It does ask for a password which you can get by opening the Netintelligence program, logging in and i think there was a answer on how to uninstall and where you would find the password.

Blondmusic
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    SillyMoo Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2009

The forms say only 1 child per household, so how come you got 2, only reason I ask is I have 2 children that could benefit from it

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

I contacted child benefit for a letter of confirmation, and was told it can take 6 weeks to send a letter out as they are inundated with requests for these now due to this scheme

Basic Account Holder
    greendollar Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2009

Quote Originally Posted by sea-sidelady View Post
    I contacted child benefit for a letter of confirmation, and was told it can take 6 weeks to send a letter out as they are inundated with requests for these now due to this scheme
    Having the same trouble myself , requested mine Jan 18th , apparently DWP have been inundated with requests for letters confirming that people are in receipt of CB also spoke to someone at Becta as we were worried there would be a limited amount to go round , were told not to worry as only 30,000 of the 200,000 available grants had so far been given out.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details