• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

car insurance cheaper at relatives address, can i use that address?

tal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

im due for car insurance, all the quotes i have been getting are £500 + for insurance at my home address, last year I paid £340, so its gone up

been checking web comparisons sites, I used a relatives postcode and the insurance has come down to £338 a big saving

what i want to ask is can i insure my car at my relatives postcode for overnight parking and have the correspondence sent to my own house

and what address do i give if i had an accident?

Im pretty sure you cannot.

Any misrepresentation on your behalf could cause a whole load of trouble in the future.

However - if the policy allows you to specify a contact address... along with a seperate address for where the car is parked overnight, this would be no problem provided you did actually park your car there overnight.

So long as you really do intend to leave the car there overnight - i guess it would be ok.

You will only get into bother if you are doing this to mislead the insurers into giving you a cheaper premium on the basis that the car will be parked at the relative's address when in fact you will be parking it at your home address.

However - as with most things insurance related, its not always clear cut. For example.... how often does the car have to be parked at the relatives address? I put my home address down as the location for overnight parking on my policy, however the car is often parked overnight over 230 miles away when i am visiting my girlfriend...?!

I would say the best thing to do is be honest with the insurers and when it asks for where the car will be parked overnight - give the address of where you genuinely anticipate the vehicle will be parked most of the time.

Failing this - call the insurance Co and ask.

The overnight parking location is where the car is MOST parked.

If you do not put the correct address, and the car is stolen from the ACTUAL parking location, expect (in best case scenario) any claim to be refused.

What you suggest is insurance fraud, and is a criminal offence.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I am also in the position of looking for car insurance. My girlfriend's postcode as overnight (which is 220 miles away - eerily similar to above poster) is £280, and in the previous year I parked there over 50% of the time (meaning under 50% of the time I was parked at home). However, it is £460 at home. I plan to move into the general area where my GF is soon anyway, and have always used my home postcode, although am tempted to provide my GF's.

The overnight parking location is where the car is MOST parked.

If you do not put the correct address, and the car is stolen from the ACTUAL parking location, expect (in best case scenario) any claim to be refused.

What you suggest is insurance fraud, and is a criminal offence.

Your post is somewhat confusing. Are you saying it is illegal to park overnight anywhere other than the postcode you gave? It would be seriously bad luck to give a postcode at where you *did* ordinarily park, but you happened to park at your home address for a few nights and your car was stolen, then the claim was refused because it was not parked at the postcode given. It's not always practicable to park the same place every single night, and it would get rather irritating to keep phoning the insurance company up every week to tell them a different postcode (especially when they will no doubt apply a stupid £20 admin fee, as well as any increased premium).

Edited by leedsguy

Thats not what I said at all.

What I said was that if you declare a main postcode that is NOT your main postcode you are committing fraud.

Not that you can never park anywhere else.

No confusion at all.

ITs the same as having a named driver on an insurance policy. That named driver CANNOT drive the car more than the policyholder (i.e. the main driver).

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

The answer to your questions is NO, you cannot use an accomodation address to secure cheaper insurance. As MrShed has already pointed out it is fraud, and will invalidate your insurance.

You MUST declare to your insurers your true and correct address when you take out an insurance policy, whilst it may be tempting to use an accomodation address because that postcode attracts a lower premium it will only end in tears should you do that.

Insurers are well aware that people try and do this and they have many many different ways of establishing where this type of fraud has been committed, trust me, they will find out, you will not have insurance, you will then find it harder to get any future insurance, you will be left facing a huge financial liability if you are involved in an accident and you could possibly find yourself with a criminal record.

Tell the truth and pay the premium.

Mossy

You MUST declare to your insurers your true and correct address when you take out an insurance policy, whilst it may be tempting to use an accomodation address because that postcode attracts a lower premium it will only end in tears should you do that.

Read again...

can i insure my car at my relatives postcode for overnight parkingcorrespondence sent to my own house and have the

In other words they want to put the postcode the car is parked at and provide their home address. So long as they do park at that postcode it is perfectly acceptable IMO.

Edited by leedsguy

Yes of course it is - IF they actually park there.

• 2 weeks later...

And let us not forget that every policy, every application is passed and stored on the Insurance Hunter (IH) database, so they will quickly spot speculative 'fishing' for cheap quotes, and use this intelligence to reject any subsequent laim by the policyholder (only paying out for the Third Party).

Of course you can use your relatives postcode, as soon as you have moved in with them of course.

Certain postcodes attract a higher premium for a reason, not just at a whim of the insurer, your postcode is deemed a higher risk, therefor more likely to result in a claim. So looking at it this way you realise you will be getting the same value for money that EVERYONE else does.

Pay the proper premium for where the car will be parked, ie your home address.

And let us not forget that every policy, every application is passed and stored on the Insurance Hunter (IH) database, so they will quickly spot speculative 'fishing' for cheap quotes, and use this intelligence to reject any subsequent laim by the policyholder (only paying out for the Third Party).

So people's circumstances never change? and they never think ok this time I will park somewhere different this year as I've had lots of trouble with anti-social chavs damaging my car? Also, if insurance fraud is detected they will pay out third party then sue the policy holder for the amount.

Of course you can use your relatives postcode, as soon as you have moved in with them of course.

Pay the proper premium for where the car will be parked, ie your home address.

You don't have to live somewhere to park somewhere. Show me which law states that. Not everyone is as fat and lazy as you might come across by making that assumption. Some people are happy to do something called walking, especially if they have had problems with repeated criminal damage parking outside their own house.

It's no surprise also that insurance is cheaper where there is less risk. I.e. higher insurance cost = more risk of criminal damage. It's also no surprise people want to reduce the risk to their property. One way of doing this is parking elsewhere. If you take the effort of reducing that risk by parking elsewhere, why should you pay based on the risk at your own house because someone on the internet assumes everyone is lazy and can't walk?!

Edited by leedsguy

• 11 months later...

Hi I bought a car several months back from a 28 year old who had 3 years no claims who was paying £237.00 fully comp car insurance .... I bought the car thinking thats not a bad price at all he showed me is insurance and also the cost of renewal ... I CONTACTED MY INSURANCE TO CHANGE OVER from the vehicle I was insured on ... I was initionaly paying £197.00 fully comp

Anyway the vehicle ide just baught fully comp with 13 years no claims and aged 49 from my insurance was wanting £750.00 I asked why and was told it was my post code .. come on I only live 5 minutes away from the address were the young lad lived and was only paying £237 .00

I used a comparison site as my insurance was due for renewal anyway .. and the cheapest I could find was £ 490.00 for the car I had just baught ..

Since then Ive spoke to 4 other young lads who also drive the same car and are all paying under £300.00 fully comp ..out of curiosity I typed his post code in over the road ..AND I was qouted £167.00

So I can understand why so many are frustrated when obtaining car insurance especially after obtaining full no claims.. its such a insurance [problem] .. myself and others like me who are in the same situation are being wripped of by insurance companies and the goverment / trading standards or the ombudsman are doing nothing about it ... even if you are in a high risk area post code .. and have over 13 years no claims ..give yourself a pat on the back .. as the insurance companies dont give a damn .. ( High risk area post code ..sting them )

• 5 months later...

i've just got my renwal through, to find that my insurance has doubled since last year,

i haven't made any claims or got any convictions, and have 9 years no claims .........what i can't understand is how my premium can double when nothing on my policy has changed,

my premium for a year is now more than what my car is worth.

i have also tried changing my post code on price comparison websites to see the difference it makes.

if i park my car on the roadside at night, 2 roads away from my house the quotes are halved.

as it falls into a different postcode area................how can they justify this when it is only a few hundred metres difference ????

last year i was paying £680 for fully comp, my renewal price is £1360. if i continue to park my car at my home address overnight.

if i park it 2 roads away at night, i have been quoted £543.

Edited by rs.stee

Insurance is a joke!

My renewal has come through with 10 NCB fully comp £336 it was £328 last year, if I do a fresh quote with the SAME insurers it comes out at £274. Work that one out!!

• 1 year later...

I have a slightly different situation but need some advice.

My girlfriend has 15 years NCD and I have always been the named driver. Now at the place where she lives there is restrictive parking and no on street parking due to the tenancy agreement . Due to a mix up she has lost her bay so can no longer park at her house. So I have to get a permit at my address, I don't want to change the insurance into my name as she is still the main driver and nothing has changed other than the place the car is kept overnight.

I have the additional problem and that is in order to obtain a permit I had to change the registration doc to my name. The car is still hers even though the car is registered at my address purely for the proposes of parking. It is our intention to inform the insurance but only when I renew the policy in September 2013. Cancelling is not an option as there is a massive cancellation fee and insuring the car in my name will increase our insurance by over 50%.

I don't see that I'm doing any thing wrong but was wondering what would happen if I was to inform them of the situation.

I have a slightly different situation but need some advice.

My girlfriend has 15 years NCD and I have always been the named driver. Now at the place where she lives there is restrictive parking and no on street parking due to the tenancy agreement . Due to a mix up she has lost her bay so can no longer park at her house. So I have to get a permit at my address, I don't want to change the insurance into my name as she is still the main driver and nothing has changed other than the place the car is kept overnight.

I have the additional problem and that is in order to obtain a permit I had to change the registration doc to my name. The car is still hers even though the car is registered at my address purely for the proposes of parking. It is our intention to inform the insurance but only when I renew the policy in September 2013. Cancelling is not an option as there is a massive cancellation fee and insuring the car in my name will increase our insurance by over 50%.

I don't see that I'm doing any thing wrong but was wondering what would happen if I was to inform them of the situation.

One of the questions they would have asked your girlfriend when she insured the car was "Are you the owner and the registered keeper", I'm guessing she said yes because at that time she was, however, that is no longer the case and I would strongly advise you to declare that fact.

Worst case scenario, you have an accident, your insurers state that a material fact was not declared and they void the insurance, you are then left to pay all the costs.

It's not worth the risk, tell them NOW

Mossy

One of the questions they would have asked your girlfriend when she insured the car was "Are you the owner and the registered keeper", I'm guessing she said yes because at that time she was, however, that is no longer the case and I would strongly advise you to declare that fact.

Worst case scenario, you have an accident, your insurers state that a material fact was not declared and they void the insurance, you are then left to pay all the costs.

It's not worth the risk, tell them NOW

Mossy

Common sense tells me that your right and I will most probably inform them, the other option I have is to obtain the permit and then transfer her back as the register owner which is the worst of two evils and then inform them of the change in parking location.

I can't put the car insurance in my name as this is fronting, I feel I'm being forced into playing games. In an Ideal world you would ring the insurance company explain the circumstances and they would make the necessary changes , but they will most probably hike up the premium just because they got her over a barrel. I am a firm believer in honesty being the best policy but in this case I'm not so sure

The OP is obviously wanting to lie about his address to get a cheaper car insurance quote.

Not hard to understand why that is not allowed really...

I was under the impression he was going to park the car at the new address/location and walk home as it was just a few streets away?