• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Frugal yet nourishing recipes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How about sharing recipes to make the most of those pennies?

You can make meals for far cheaper than buying stuff already made.

I make my own baked beans and they are far nicer than even the most expensive bought ones. They can be frozen as well so you can make a big batch. Things like hummous is easily made too.

As for tin soups..... it is far easier to make your own and they taste so much better and a lot cheaper.

I buy onions in 20Kg bags and large sacks of potatoes when I run out of home grown ones. Go to farmers shops and you can get sacks of potatoes for much less than you get them in a supermarket. Same with carrots and other vegetables.

• 2 months later...

Ministrone soup. The best frugal soup ever! I mean, who ever uses up all the celery, cabbage and peppers. Add a potato, slightly bendy carrot and one of those soggy tomatoes that is past its roll around date...handfull of whatever pasta and tada...with a few extra flourishes from the spice cupboard you have a pan of comforting lovliness. I like it with a bit cheese in the bowl that sticks to the back of the spoon and has to be scraped of with the teeth!

Edited by WideMouthedFrog

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

buy some sausages cook cut them up into small pieces, fry peppers onion and mushrooms together put these in a dish with the sausages, add tomato ketchup just a few tablespoons, boil the pasta, drain add this to the peppers, mushroom, sausages, mix in the pasta sauce put in the over cook slowly, grate cheese over the top put back in the over till melted cheese hey presto sausage pasta bake enjoy it can feed 6 people even eat with a nice salad as well

Just to add... the "reduced" supermarket stock is brill if you catch it at the right time... The 24 hour ones seem to always have tomatoes on offer after 8pm (maybe that is just mine?) read the "parsley" thread and grow some oregano and basil, couple of onions and some mushrooms and you can make a huge vat of pasta sauce for pennies (sweat the onion and mushroom in some olive oil, add the tomatoes chopped however you like the sauce (want chunky sauce, big chunks, want a smoother sauce, finely dice!) and simmer with the herbs of your choice for about an hour. Leave to chill, then get some freezer bags and freeze individual portions, much nicer than any of the jars of bolognese sauce from the supermarkets, and it's very versatile.

As my family is always trying to keep salt and fat intake to a minimum, My favorite recipe with this is Spaghetti with Chili turkey meatballs (again home grown chili's are great for this!) All you need is finely chopped chili(however much you like... 1 will add a little zing, 2 or 3 will add a bit more bite! Remember though, smaller chili's are generally hotter!), and the 1 expensive item of the meal, turkey mince (which is very low fat, and still really cheap!) and some wholemeal spaghetti. Mix the turkey mince with the chili, Roll it into balls about the size of a 50 pence piece and place on an oven tray and cook for 40 mins, time the other items to coincide with the time this finishes. Cook the spaghetti as per the instructions on the packet, drain, and add the pasta sauce (defrost it in a microwave if frozen. Just bring the spaghetti and sauce to a simmer, Serve that on a plate, and pop the meatballs on top. If you're feeling extravagant, add some grated cheese

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

that sounds really nice, i dont go out after dark i have to go during the day by bus so miss all the bargains of the day but think ill have to watch this much more, i love the posts on here the tips are really good especially in these hard times thanks

When using the broccoli florets for one meal keep the rest of the stalk to make a delicious broccoli soup by boiling it till very soft then blending even using some left over chicken stock to create a chicken and broccoli soup. It can be made creamy, spicy or cheesy! Whichever is to your taste.

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

• 6 months later...

I find a late swing round the local market get a few bargain lots of fruit and veg, I also have resurected my mums old pressure cooker.pulverises cheap meat, pulses etc makes a good jamming pan as well The stock can be reduced down and makes frozen "stock cubes" same with herbs they make good frozen cubes.. I think it might even cope with road kill... no perhaps not! I do watch out for £1.00 shops though some are bargains but other items can be cheap but nasty rather than good value.I remembered where the money went when this years fortnums catalogue arrived addressed to ex mrs waitrose marks and sparks where are they in town? Between me the kids and the hounds even the mice go hungry, not the pet hamsters but with a bit of genetic manipulation who needs turkey?

Bit of a tongue in cheek post here (as this is more a snack / light lunch in my eyes), but still interesting....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15752918

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

I was being serious about the pressure cooker though! Origionally Papins Bone Digester invented to help feed starving French peasants it really does let you make use of cheap and tough cuts of meat and is magic for soups,steam puddings christmas puds etc If the French, who have recipies for anything that walks crawls swims or flies found it useful thats an endorsement.

A slow cooker is also good for cheap meals using tougher cuts of meat - and you can't beat coming home in the winter to a nice hot stew.

If you don't already have one, check out the charity shops before paying full price.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I was being serious about the pressure cooker though! Origionally Papins Bone Digester invented to help feed starving French peasants it really does let you make use of cheap and tough cuts of meat and is magic for soups,steam puddings christmas puds etc If the French, who have recipies for anything that walks crawls swims or flies found it useful thats an endorsement.

I 100% agree with the pressure cooker. The science behind it is that water boils at a higher temperature when under pressure, and the cooker seals in the air and food, and it expands as it heats, putting the contents under pressure, increasing the boiling temperature to 122 degrees, so it cooks quicker, and for meat it breaks the tough fats and sinew down more, making it much tastier and the meat is always tender.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 3 weeks later...
Guest harveysfurnitureUK Official Company Rep
When using the broccoli florets for one meal keep the rest of the stalk to make a delicious broccoli soup by boiling it till very soft then blending even using some left over chicken stock to create a chicken and broccoli soup. It can be made creamy, spicy or cheesy! Whichever is to your taste.

I LOVE this tip. The stalks are always thrown away in our house, but they won't be any longer. Thanks :)

I always make homemade soup with leftover veg, and I am getting the slow cooker out now to use for lentil & bacon stew and lamb and onion stew with pearl barley & lemon, very old fashioned recipe and very very tasty.

Neck of lamb is cheap and really tasty.

My husband likes the faggots that our local butcher makes. They're 50p each and so big you only need one per person.

I also find that the local greengrocer has better veg than supermarkets and tend to be quite a bit cheaper. This time of year it's worth getting a sack of potatoes if you've got a family and somewhere cool to store them - the potatoes that is - not the family. :madgrin: Saw sacks costing £5.50 the other day yet paid £1.70 last week for 2.5 kg.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My trusted ingredients for dishes in hard times include:

Dall (lentils cooked until they go mushy) - you can add an onion, or a stock cube and curry for taste - this is cheap and filling and can go with bread, pasta, rice or couscous - can be thinned down to make lentil soup. Cooking time 20 mins

Porridge - if you are feeling flush you can add milk and sugar or dried fruit, but it is a healthy super-cheap meal if you just add water. Cooking time 5-10 minutes.

Bacon bits (usually bought in markets and local variants of Farmfoods or Iceland) - can be used the basis from soups stews and egg'n'potato/tomato'n'potato bakes - soak in water to get rid of the salt, then dry and fry to bring out the flavour. Cooking time 5-20 minutes.

Gone-past-sell-by-date tins (usually bought in markets and local variants of Farmfoods or Iceland) - savoury contents can be thrown into stews or soups, various beans can be used to make salads. Cooking time 0-10 minutes.

Offal and cheaper cuts of meat such as ham shank, pig foot, sheep's head, goat (various) - can be used to make nourishing and tasty soups, stews, casseroles, fry ups, roasts or used as the basis for pate's or meatloaf. Cooking time 5-90 minutes.

Toast - can be adorned with spreads, beans, sardines, jam, etc. - cheap and filling. Cooking time 5 minutes.

Gone-past-sell-by-date tins (usually bought in markets and local variants of Farmfoods or Iceland) - savoury contents can be thrown into stews or soups, various beans can be used to make salads. Cooking time 0-10 minutes.

Take a look http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/ (bankfodder posted it elsewhere, but defo worth pointing out to those subbed here!)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

With the lentils (dhall is the spelling I was given) you can add fresh coriander and tomatoes, very yummy.

My other 'newer' recipe is to add a can of chopped tomatoes to some plain boiled rice, throw in a handful of mixed frozen veg and cook for about 10 minutes or until veg is unfrozen, can be stretched to feed quite a few people for not a lot of effort. You can add fresh herbs/spices to your taste, I like basil and oregano with this. Its up to you if you put parmesan or similar cheese on top.

Indeed, Sillygirl1, there are almost many ways to spell dal(l)/dhal(l)/dahl(l) as there are delicious ways to prepare it! Hmm, using tinned toms as a basis for a 'vegetable splodge' offers some tantalising variations. If you are partial to frozen veg, I'd recommend Aldi's chargrilled veg which include onions, red peppers and aubergines - tastier than the popular peas, sweetcorn and carrot mixes. Bon appetit!

A very quick minestrone can be made from a can of tomatoes and one of those small 50p packs of fresh diced veg from Morrisons.... you can thow in some soup pasta if you want.

I can remember we made pasta when we were kids and used the Playdoh fun factory to make our shapes, had cars and other odd shaped pasta for ages!

Don't forget with brown bread (sliced or chunks) tipped into a bowl, can of pineapple chunks or chopped pineapple and some brown sugar then grilled til the sugar caramalises makes a nice pud, to make it more adult you can put in a bit of rum or other tipple...