• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Carter claimform EGG card

Angy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have some debt with a credit card company and it was passed to Fredrickson. I was paying monthly but recently missed payment. I received a letter from Bran Carter Solicitors threatening court proceedings.

I rang them few days after discussing the debt and they advised me to increase this month payment to make up for the missed month(s). I agree and told them i will pay next friday. I also phone Fredrickson themselves about it and they agreed friday. Just this morning, i received a claim form from County Court even though i have sent them a cheque for the monthly agreed sum.

I dont like dealing with court. What can i do

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Angy....and welcome to the CAG forums, please try and relax, you are amongst others who are/were in similar situations to yourself...first things first, you have to acknowledge receipt of the claim form within 14 days of the date on the claim form....if you wish to defend all, then please state that, you then have a further 14+3 days in which to submit a defence. Can you please type up the particulars of the claim (but don't be specific with the exact amounts or dates or reference numbers) the next step is to send of a CPR 31.14 in line with the particulars on the claim form have a read here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/159445-getting-them-reveal-their.html and try and understand what is being said.....and do spend some time reading around these forums as you will see plenty of others on these forums who have come up against Bryan Carter.....

Thanks 42 man.

The particulars of claim is a s follows;

1) The claimant's claim is for agreement which is now all due and payable

2) The defendant agreed to pay monthly instalments under account number 4444444444 but has failed to do so. And the claimant claims the sum of £3700.

3) The claimant also claims interest thereon pursuant to S.69 county court act 1984 limited to one year to the date hereof at the rate of 8% per annum amounting to 0.00

Thanks

OK it is up to you if you want to defend this, but you must spend some time reading around these forums to get some understanding of what is being asked and the process.

First things first is to make a CPR request and send it by recorded delivery....

Does the claim mention the original creditor at all ? Is the account number familiar to you ?

My own feeling is that you may like to use both CPR18 and CPR 31.14

CPR31.14 is here (but read it carefully and delete as appropriate and send recorded to the solicitor) - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/185051-claim-form-received-today.html#post1992524

This is CPR18 - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/148845-bryan-carter-received-summons.html#post1573418

And you must stick to the deadlines......I think you should also send a recorded delivery CCA request too to Fredricksons - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/581-cca-request-letter You'll need to accompany this with a £1 postal order and again send it recorded....

Angy, is the amount claimed the full outstanding balance?

Did Carter issue an idle threat, ie. 'we may take you to court', or did he give you seven days' notice?

Finally, as 42man asks, is the claim in the original creditor's name or has the debt been assigned to a third party?

credit card

The particulars of claim is a s follows;

1) The claimant's claim is for agreement which is now all due and payable

2) The defendant agreed to pay monthly instalments under account number 4444444444 but has failed to do so. And the claimant claims the sum of £3700.

3) The claimant also claims interest thereon pursuant to S.69 county courtlink8.gif act 1984 limited to one year to the date hereof at the rate of 8% per annum amounting to 0.00

The first two things I notice are he does not say it is a credit agreement regulated by CCA. Secondly he knows full well he is not entitled to claim interest pursuant to S.69 county court act 1984.

If you defend you will get help and I think you will win with ease.

Thanks guys. Members here are marvelous. Thanks so much.

1) I "think" the amount is full outstanding amount. I used the word "think" because i am managing few debts which is making life really horrible. The amount is definitely in that region SAVE one cheque i sent to Fredrickson a day before court wrote that claim form.

2) The claim mentioned the original creditor and the account number related to me.

# I did NOT really want to contest the claim unless there is loopholes in it.

Questions

At the moment i worked part-time because i just finish university, it was my patner that takes care of major things and if i have to disclose income and expenditure, i wouldnt even be able to pay any amount but Patner had been helping.

1) What is the effect of disclosing the exact figures?

2) Was it 14 days to the date of the claim form?

Cheers

The first thing to do is acknowledge service and indicate you will defend all of the claim.

You then need to send a CPR18 and CPR 31.14

Dear Mr Carter

RE.

CPR 18 - REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

I have received the above court claim from your organisation. In order to file a defence and counter claim I require some information. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below.

The information must be furnished within fourteen days of the receipt of this letter. If you fail to comply, this will be reported to the Court, a copy of this letter will be provided as evidence to the same and an Order enforcing your compliance will be sought.

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened.

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

b. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with ORIGINAL CREDITOR.

c. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

d. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

e. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

f. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

g. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

h. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

3. Any other documents you seek to rely on in court.

I will require this information within the next fourteen days. I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to frustrate proceedings and denying me the opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

Yours sincerely,

Dear Mr Carter,

Re: (XXXXXXX( v (XXXXXXXX)) Case No:XXXXXXX

CPR 31.14 Request

On XXXXXXXXX, I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the Northampton County Court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of the documents mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the documents I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours sincerely

Send them recorded or registered post and print your name don’t sign them

Thanks.

What is the advantages of those 2 requests?

N.B : I have been paying the agreed sum before i missed one or 2 payments to Fredrickson International.

# Also note that fredrickson is in charge of one of my debt as well

1) Do you see any loopholes or what?

Many thanks

Edited by Angy

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

If you want to defend the claim you will need to send off the acknowledgment of service indicating you are going to defend all of the claim. You must do that straight away. Then send the two letters to Carter recorded delivery and print your name do not sign them.

If you do not do these things Bryan Carter & Co. will do what he always does and win by default.

The purpose of the letters are to see if he has the agreement and the right to go to court in the first place.

When and if he replies to the letters we will know what defence to give you.

However the chances are that when he knows you are going to defend, it would be very true to form for him to discontinue his claim.

We will help you but you must help yourself. Start by reading the threads about Bryan Carter, for a start you will see how easy it is to see him off.

You already have him on this as he cant claim this and wont want to look a fool in front of a judge.

If you want to defend the claim you will need to send off the acknowledgment of service indicating you are going to defend all of the claim. You must do that straight away. (1) Then send the two letters to Carter recorded delivery and print your name do not sign them.

(2) If you do not do these things Bryan Carter & Co. will do what he always does and win by default.

(3) The purpose of the letters are to see if he has the agreement and the right to go to court in the first place.

When and if he replies to the letters we will know what defence to give you.

However the chances are that when he knows you are going to defend, it would be very true to form for him to discontinue his claim.

We will help you but you must help yourself. Start by reading the threads about Bryan Carter, for a start you will see how easy it is to see him off.

(4) You already have him on this as he cant claim this and wont want to look a fool in front of a judge.

1) Can the 2 letters go in a single envelope or separate?. If my name is Tony, should i just print TONY or XXXX?

2) Even if i agree to pay for example £2 a month, does that mean they will still go to court? I thought they will just examine my income and expenditure and make suggestion?

3) Dont forget their patner company in Fredrickson was the one i was paying the regular money to. And even recently i paid some money few days ago to Fredrickson. Didnt they still have RIGHT?

4) Was it because of Nil amount he cant claim the last bit?

5) In acknowledging service, i should just state that, I'm defending all claims. Isnt it?

Thank you so much guys.

1) Print Tony Smith or write it - don't sign. 1 envelope if you wish. 2 (by recorded delivery) would be best. but makes little difference.

2) Whatever you offer at this stage will make little difference - your I&E is your business - nothing to do with BC

3) Not that relevant

4) he can't claim interest

5) Defend ALL

Don't panic :)

M

And keep reading BC threads. he's useless :D

M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Bryan Carter & Co.

De Havilland Drive

Weybridge

Surrey

KT13 0NT

1. He always signs for letter to this address, I have dozens of signatures from his grotty offices.

It is a legal request you are making, he probably won’t send the documents but then he can’t and won’t go to court with sending them. As we have told you he will discontinue the claim.

Have you sent the acknowledgment of service back to the court yet? You only get 14 days to do this.

When did you apply for the credit card? We need to know if it is

Regulated by CCA 1974 or 2006

We will need to start to think about the defence.

Lets see what 42man and DonkeyB thinks,

If you get the defence in before Carter discontinues you can claim costs at 9.25 per hour.

Don’t worry about the defence, I have started to put one together for you. After I post it up others will suggest changes and you will be able to cut and paste one together.

You will get loads of help to see off Carter.

I am thinking about starting a Bryan Carter fan club.

Waoh!

You guys are in another level.

I cant remember the exact time i applied for the card but i am sure its 2005 or less.

Cheers

As long as you're sure it was before 2007 :)

Angy I need this info for your defence,

How long was it between Carter threatening court proceedings and the claim form being issued.

How long has the Egg Card? Account been in the hands of Fredrickson?

Did you ever get a default Notice from Egg?

Did you ever get a Notice of Assignment, that is basically a letter from Egg telling you that Fredrickson was now dealing with the account?