Advice on going from JSA to Income Support (due to pregnancy)

Smiley_B
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I wondered whether anybody in their pregnancy had had experience of having to go onto Income Support 11 weeks before their due date. Would just like clarification on whether the process was straightforward or not.

From what I understand I have to tell the Jobcentre I'm pregnant (but when?) and they will continue to pay me JSA until I am 29 weeks pregnant - then I get signed off and have to apply for Income Support separately.

If anybody did this, a) is there a formal interview, and b) was there a big lapse in continuation of payment in doing so? (I guess this really depends on the area you live in?).

Thank you in advance for any advice given.

hi smiley B

If you are a single person then you close your claim to JSA eleven weeks before your EDOC thats the expected date of confinment :)

or to put it simpler the date the baby is due.

You phone I.S contact centre the day you sign off and make your claim to I.S

They will see you at the Jobcentre to sign your declaration and ask to see proof of your pregnancy, this is usually a MATB1. This is a form your midwife gives you when your pregnancy is confimed.

Your claim should be processed and payment released, there should be no gap in entitlement.

When the baby is born you continue to claim IS as a lone parent.

If you have a partner who works over twenty four hours you cant claim I.S

If you have a partner who say claims JSA, you can usually claim for him for fifteen weeks after the baby is born. If he has JSA in payment then it will be taken into account. Or he can continue his JSA and claim for you

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

you need to tell the JC straight away that you are pregnant as you are entitled to milk tokens and they should also not be asking you to look for work as nobody will employ a pregnant person, not being funny but your not capable of doing the job due to u needing to take leave soon after joining.

Also you will be entitled to a sure start maternity grant of about £500.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Also :)

If you're pregnant you may be entitled to the pregnancy health grant to help you prepare for the birth of your baby

pregnant-woman-eating-fruit.jpg

Find out what exactly the pregnancy health grant is about in our low down on all you need to know about the new government grant

What is the pregnancy health grant?

If you’re pregnant, you may be entitled to a grant to help you prepare for the birth of your baby. This doesn’t affect your tax credit or any savings you may have.

Who is eligible for the pregnancy health grant?

Nearly every pregnant woman who is 25 weeks pregnant or more and who has been given advice from a midwife or doctor about staying healthy during pregnancy.

How much will I get paid for the pregnancy health grant?

£190 one-off payment, paid directly into your account.

How can I claim the pregnancy health grant?

Call the Health in Pregnancy Grant Helpline on 0845 366 7885. You’ll need a form from your midwife or doctor, who is required to fill in their part of the form and sign it. You then need to send this form to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within 31 days, otherwise you may miss out.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

What is the Sure Start Maternity Grant?

A payment to help with the cost of a new baby for those on a low income.

Who is eligible for the Sure Start Maternity Grant?

There are a number of circumstances which may entitle you. For example, if you or your partner are on income support or receive working tax credit where a severe disability is included. You can claim it from 29 weeks of pregnancy until your baby is three months old

How much will I get for the Sure Start Maternity Grant?

£500 for each baby, paid directly into your account.

How do I claim the Sure Start Maternity Grant?

Complete pack SF100 (Sure Start) from your Jobcentre Plus or download a copy from the Department of Work and Pensions (dwp.gov.uk)

Claim the Sure Start Maternity Grant

when you I.S is up and running :)

If you apply for it before your I.S is in payment they will refuse it

i thought you were also entitled to the mat grant if your partner is claiming JSA? I know the neighbour got it when her partner was claiming.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

i thought you were also entitled to the mat grant if your partner is claiming JSA? I know the neighbour got it when her partner was claiming.

Who is eligible?

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner receive any of the following:

• Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit :)
  • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
  • Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award

and if one of the following applies to you:

• you or your partner are pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks or have given birth within the last three months

Godmother they say you learn something everyday :) I just have

As you have said I think its best if Smiley_B makes her claim to IS as soon as she is within her eleven weeks .

SmileyB get your eleven week date, to get this get a calendar and mark your due date, go back to the Sunday before your due date, now count eleven Sundys back mark that week, you can claim any day in that week or after, sign for the last time, receive your payment of JSA, on the day you sign off phone for your claim.

If you are not sure of working the date out the Jobcentre can help you

I would apply for the grant when I.S is in payment if you can wait, social fund check to see if I.S is in payment.

You should have an easy claim its straight forward and should be processed quickly

Good luck with everything

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE