• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Trout V Cap 1

trout
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2936 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a Capital One credit card from pre 2007 so it is possible that they won't have a true signed agreement.

This I would like to query,

however on my initial and subsequent cards and statements they have mis-spelt

my first name.

How would this affect my case ?

Thanks for the reply PGH7447,

but then what ?

Part of my concern is that they will try to say that I have committed some kind of fraud

by using the card with a mis - spelt name which would be wrong.

The only thing I want to address is whether or not I have a valid cca

and if not then I would like them to repay all interest paid over the years towards

settling the outstanding balance which is significant.

What if they demand full payment once they realise the error ?

Hi Trout

yes ....nothing to worry about here.....as the previous poster said misspelt names are common. my missus had an account under the name chirstina...her name was christina....its what you put on the application form that matters.

CCA them and see what turns up

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

my nickname was used to open my account like Billy for William - If the CCA is valid then the name error is not enough to deem the agrement unenforceable.

You have to CCA them to see if it has all the prescribed terms. That's the most important thing to determine. The actual CCA - Forget about the name error.

I can 100% say you wont get the intrest back

depends on the cca, if its enforceable and how you go about it.

first and foremost ....get the cca, post it here and we'll have a look.

we can argue the toss all day, the cca is what we need to see. all decisions can then be made. but I will say one thing, it is "unlikely" but not impossible that you'll get any money already paid, back. there are precedents that would allow it, but thats for the future.

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

• 2 months later...

Hi,I cca Cap 1 and received this :

img007.jpg?t=1264607708

and:

img011.jpg?t=1264608042

img010.jpg?t=1264608513

I then put the acc into dispute,and to day received the following ;

img002.jpg?t=1264608670

img003.jpg?t=1264608748

together with 6 pages of t & C's which may or may not relate to any alleged agreement.

Is the above enforceable.

Thanks,

Trout

Cap 1 sent this after I cca them

img007.jpg?t=1264693647

img011.jpg?t=1264693740

img010.jpg?t=1264693893

I then put the acc into dispute and they have now sent me this

img002.jpg?t=1264694926

img003.jpg?t=1264695078

along with 6 typed pages of t & c's

could someone please advice how to proceed from here

Anyone ?

Anyone ?

I'm in the middle of something..but I will give it a look over later....looks like one I'm doing for a friend

Dave

Ok....sorry its been a while....got really tied up in work....didnt have time to think

You have to make a decision....!!!

on the face of it, the APPLICATION form you filled in DOESNT have the prescribed terms, although it makes reference to terms elsewhere.

It doesnt make reference to terms overleaf......so the terms were certainly not "within the four corners" of the agreement. Also on the second page of what you posted they make reference to not being able to determine your repayment schedule etc....this sounds like they DONT have the original terms

Dont get misled by the "four corners" routine it doesnt mean on the same page....but it must be WITHIN the document and NOT in an ancilliary document.

A document can run to many pages....but yours just seems to be a "short application" form............so

As I said you have a decision and its not one I can make for you

you can take a chance and stop paying in the hope that they will take you to court. Your credit will be trashed for 6 years, but it probably is already or you wouldnt be on here.......this is ok as long as you dont need a mortgage or want credit cards or a loan.

IF they decide to take you to court, you can ask them to supply the original documents and original terms.....read the thread dealing with http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/240186-dissecting-manchester-test-case.html as to what they must supply.

since the manchester judgment (Carey -v- HSBC) things have changed.....they can supply crap to a S77-79 request, but must prove their case with originals or at least verified copies of the originals......

whether the judge accepts what they present, is anyones guess......

If they havent got the paper work right you "should win".......unless the judge thinks you are a chancer and out to avoid the debt !! it seems sometimes that the law does not apply as it should do, but personal bias plays a great part.

As I said ......only you can make the decision.......ask yourself the question "do I feel lucky"

the agreement stinks.......your choice

sorry couldnt have been any more help

Dave

Edited by davefirewalker

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks Dave for your time and input.

As you said I had to make a decision.

Well, I'm now going to put the acc into serious dispute.

Am I a chancer ?

Yes I realise I've got myself into the financial mire,yes I'm trying to dig

myself out of a very large black hole,but,and it's a big but,the various

credit card companies knew my financial circumstances and used this for

their own financial gain.If in doing this they used methods that now leaves

them with a problem,then in all honesty I don't care anymore.Having had

more sleepless nights than I can remember and having suffered ill health

because of the stress I feel that I don't really have any other options.

Again, I really appreciate yours and everybody elses help on here,and I will post up any further developments in due course.

Stay lucky,

Trout

• 6 years later...

Hi,

What constitutes contacting a Creditor / Acknowledging a debt as far as SB is concerned ?

eg does a CCA request to the original or assigned creditor count ?

Does accepting unlawful termination count ?

Does in any way disputing the account count ?

thanks

Hi,

What constitutes contacting a Creditor / Acknowledging a debt as far as SB is concerned ?

eg does a CCA request to the original or assigned creditor count ? no

Does accepting unlawful termination count ?no

Does in any way disputing the account count ? might

thanks

what is your issue please

full story

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Your questions are a bit vague so it's not completely possible to answer them.

Certainly, asking for a CCA does not acknowledge a debt.

You have to give us a bit more detail

Whooops - deja vu!

:lol:

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The debt is related to a Capital One credit card taken out pre 2007.

In November 2009 I sent them a S78 request.

I received a recon from them in December 2009 which I disputed

They then sent a copy of an application form which lacked the prescribed terms stating that was my agreement in January 2010

In March 2010 they issued a defective DN

In April 2010 they terminated

I accepted their termination in August 2010

Debt eventually assigned to Lowells, I sent them a S78 request and got the same rubbish back.

Lowells have sent various letters offering discounts etc but I have not contacted them other than the s78 request.

last payment was early November 2009

Cheers

when was your last payment

old and new threads merged

and they