• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lloyds Collections Department

Brick Driver
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

My account has been taken overdrawn by bank charges levied by Lloyds TSB. I have refused to pay these charges after calling Lloyds and asking for them to be refunded.

I was about to send the preliminary approach letter when I recieved a letter from their collections department. This letter basically tells me what I already know and asks for imediate payment. It also details that there will be an "initial charge of £25 follwed by charges of £17.50" whilst my account is with the collections department. I again contacted them and asked for a refund only to be told that they will not refund and that they will continue trying to reclaim these charges possibly by using a debt collection agency.

Can I ask where I stand on this matter? Do I send them the preliminary approachletter asking for the current charges to be refunded or wait for my next statement to see if any other charges have been levied?

Thanks in advance

Matt

If you know what bank penalty charges they have levied, send them a Preliminary Approach for Repayment immediately. You can adjust your figures accordingly (anytime before issuing your County Court claim) if you find that they have added some more charges. I don't know how you stand having told them verbally that you were not going to pay (it probably counts for nothing unless you can substantiate it), but you really need to lodge your dispute with them in writing so that all is clear and recorded - both to them and, should it come to it, a court. Don't be delayed by their actions, set your own timeframe for your claim and stick to it.

Once your dispute is lodged with them in writing, you can tell them that the balance is in dispute. This MAY discourage them from persisting with a default but I doubt it.

Bear in mind that not paying part or all of what they are asking for could result in a default. Based on what you have described, though unjust it will be a matter of considerable hassle to you to get it removed later (See thread titled 'Default Hell'). I know it sounds like a compromise to pay part or all of what they are demanding, but IF you can do this, it demonstrates that you have been reasonable even in the face of the nonsense of these unlawful charges, plus it will save you some trouble. IF you can stand the cost now, and IF you are willing to do so, the good will out and you will eventually get your money back.

I don't like this solution either, but if you can and will do it, it protects you from getting a default and gets you started on recovering what they have taken.

Incidentally, I understand Section 13.6 of the Banking Code says they will pass information on late payments to credit reference agencies...if the account is not in dispute. You may wish to check out the details. Clearly if your account is disputed, as signatories to the Banking Code they are duty bound not to pass late payment/default information to the credit reference agencies.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bean

Lloyds TSB - 27/11/06 - £6377 paidrest with FOS

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Lloyds TSB (MC) - 20/10/06 (BY DEF) £372

Hitachi Cap - Nov. 06 - £207

Citi Cards - 28/12//06 - £220

Monument - 23/1/07 - £889

Barclaycard (Mrs. Bean) - 19/2/07 £376

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I have ammended the preliminary approach letter to include these charges and I will forward it to them before I pay any of these charges. Hopefully the PA letter will show that I'm not going to let them have this money.

Thanks again

Matt

You're entirely welcome Brick Driver,

To attempt to stop these charges, you may wish to send the following letter [by our friend Spiceskull (Moderator)] to the bank:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I find myself in the position that your actions require my intervention for the [HOWEVER MANY] time in the space of a few days. I am seriously reconsidering my view that [bANK] has the capacity to act as my fiduciary in a responsible and lawful manner, as implied by the terms and conditions between both parties.

[WHENEVER] I received a statement from [bANK], stating their intent to unlawfully apply penalty charges to my account on [DATE]. These charges are to the sum of £XX.

As you are aware, I have asked you to demonstrate to me that these punitive charges are fair and just, that they are lawful, and that they are being lawfully applied. You have failed to demonstrate this to date, and therefore it is implied by your refusal or inability to supply such demonstration, that these penalties are, indeed, unlawful.

Therefore, I would draw your attention to the following point: you have stated that these charges will be applied on [DATE]. If these charges ARE applied, then you will be required to explain why you have, in my view, committed a pre-meditated breach of the law, and I will be reporting such breach to all of the relevant authorities.

However, as this has not yet happened, I require that you take action forthwith, and cancel this transaction prior to its execution. Furthermore, I require confirmation, in writing, that this transaction will, indeed, be cancelled.

I shall be checking my account on [DATE], and if I see that the penalty charges have been unlawfully applied to my account, I shall lodge a claim at the county court to recover these charges, plus my costs and interest calculated at 8% APR, without hesitation. Furthermore, I shall require that you confirm whether these unlawful charges have resulted in a default notice against my record with credit reference agencies, and if so, I will seek appropriate action to have this notice removed.

In view of my first paragraph, and considering your apparent incompetence to act as my fiduciary in a lawful manner, I will start to consider a course of action whereby I may seek redress for all the inconvenience you have caused me."

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

I have ammended the preliminary approach letter to include these charges and I will forward it to them before I pay any of these charges.

Be careful with your timing to protect yourself. Events may over-run you - they may press for a default before you get much further with your claim.

...Hopefully the PA letter will show that I'm not going to let them have this money...

Let's hope so...

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Corking advice from Bean, BD, and I would second his suggestion that you read Default Hell, it's quite brilliant and inspirational.

The only thing I would add is that you may have already been defaulted. Have you applied for a credit report from any/all of the CRAs?

Elsinore

Thank you for your kind words Elsinore. I have read your informative and supportive posts with interest and to receive this compliment from you is very much appreciated.

...The only thing I would add is that you may have already been defaulted. Have you applied for a credit report from any/all of the CRAs?...

Excellent point, which reminds me that a credit report as well as showing defaults also shows other adverse points such as late payments and being over limit. Though I have no defaults, unlawful bank penalty charges have caused me to be late paying some credit card accounts (the timing is clear from statements). Several late credit card payments will make you an 'adverse' status credit risk, which significantly raises the cost of later credit.

This may not apply to you Brick Driver, but it will apply to many reading this. You may wish to consider these and any other consequences of bank penalty charges, and to cite them with your claim in order to seek recompense.

Note that going beyond standard recovery of bank/credit card charges is new ground, should be done very carefully, and needs to be capable of full substantiation. For example, see janeyb's thread.

• Confused 1

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875