Council selling personal data ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They can sell the electoral registers to anyone who wants them for small fees etc..

Is that legal , I do not remember entering into any form of contract allowing my council to divulge my details , what about the data protection act . What if i do not want any of my details shared , do I have the option of privacy or declining to be on the electoral roll . For official nesercary business I might not have a problem , but as a money making scheme , wheres my share its my info and my business .

Is that legal , I do not remember entering into any form of contract allowing my council to divulge my details , what about the data protection act . What if i do not want any of my details shared , do I have the option of privacy or declining to be on the electoral roll . For official nesercary business I might not have a problem , but as a money making scheme , wheres my share its my info and my business .

Look on any council website and there is info on how they'll sell batches of information to people in hard copies or discs (something like £10 for a 1000 addresses etc.. ) how in depth the info is I couldn't say - you'd have to check it out with your council etc..

There is an option on electoral register papers to "opt out" and they'll keep you off the electoral register public view - but that has other repercussions with credit reference agencies where when you apply for any credit you won't show up as living at your address etc..

I don't know lots about it - have a look on your council website and make enquiries - they'll tell you what you want to know.

The lists they sell can go to anyone who pays the fees for the info - we can all buy this info from any council as far as I am aware - we don't have to justify the purpose that we want the info.

Just like anyone can go public library to view electoral registers off the reference shelves for free.