Over paid my council tax for the last 17 years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As the title says I have been over paying council tax for the last 17 years.

Last week I got a letter from the Sheffield group valuation officer informing me of a "notice of alteration to an existing entry in the valuation list"

Basically this is to tell me my house has been re-banded and has gone from band B to A. The effective date of alteration is 1st April 1993 or 17 years ago.

I rang the valuation office who confirmed that when the house was valued for council tax a mistake was made and should have been in band A. He was unable to give me anymore info other than the council had been informed and they would contact me.

Today I have received 10 council tax adjustment notices covering the last 10 years. I don't know why they have only sent 10 as I am due 17.

Now what I need to know is has anybody had a similar scenario as I believe I am due to all 17 years plus interest. If I had took them to court I would be entitled to claim interest at 8%. Do you think they will offer up if asked or will i have to take court action. If the boot was on the other foot they would want 8%.

Thanks for any help or advise in advance.

I got my house rebanded right back to that sort of date and got the whole lot back. I instigated the revaluation so I know they had a wrong description of the house and there were other factors. Has this notification of yours come out of the blue or did you apply for it?

This came out of the blue just over a week ago. The thing that concerns me is it is there mistake. They have had this money a long time some of it 17 years has anybody managed to get interest on it and if so was it straightforward or was it a fight. After all they where negligent in valuing it wrong

I did not get interest on my repayment. I think I did ask but was told it was not payable. I did get mine rebanded from D to A as there were other factors and as it was an even better result than I expected I didn't take it further.

I understand there may be no provision in council tax regulations but the council have been unduly enriched. If you are late paying or don't pay they take you to court and claim 8%. Whats the difference? Not looking for something in council tax regulations more just statute and common law.

• 3 weeks later...

"miniconverter" can you tell me if your council automatically sent you your due refund or did you have to write to them for it , how long did it take etc.

i have exactly the same outcome as yours ...i have been rebanded from "b" to "a" and have overpaid for 17yrs .with exactly the same letter from the VOA

any info would be greatly appreciated