Council Tax & Business Rates for a property no longer lived in

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Hopefully someone can give me some advice ref: CT & Business Rates.

My daughter lived in a property until May 2008 she left and informed the council gave change of / forwarding address and made arrangements to pay any outstanding CT up to the date she left the property.

Since this time she has moved to a different county entirely, although she has kept up with her payments for her oustanding CT.

Last November (2009) she received a letter from the original council saying she is behind with her CT from April 2008 up to March 2010 and also business rates from June 2008 to March 2010.

Apparently the new tenant in her old property started a business and had part of the property rated for business use.

My daughter has phoned them, emailed them and written to them which she has hand delivered and sent recorded delivery, she can prove when she moved out and where she has been living.

But the person in charge has deemed that they have liability orders on her and she must pay. Yesterday she had a visit from a debt collector / bailiff who left paperwork in an open envelope under a plantpot on her doorstep saying that they had listed her car (and the neighbours) which is on shared parking plot and a list of belongings that they could only have seen through the window.

What can she do, because noone at the council will help let alone listen and it is making her ill.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Not sure what she can do about the bailiffs or liability order. I am sure someone with more knowledge of this will post soon.

The best ways for her to get the Council to listen are make a formal complaint, telephone/write to the Director or Chief Executive or ask an MP or Councillor to make an enquiry on her behalf.