Temporary medical 'do not drive' advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5204 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a completely new one on me. My son has broken his wrist and has been told not to drive - fair enough. The nurse told him they will be informing the appropriate body (MIB?) so his insurance will be invalid if he does drive.

1. Do they actually do this or is it just something they say?

2. If so, where do I stand on using his car as he doesn't want it sitting idle for weeks? I am insured to drive any vehicle but he is the only named driver on his policy for his car. Adding my name to his insurance for a month would be the obvious answer but his company want a ridiculous amount to do so, certainly far more than we're willing to pay for me to pop down to the village shop every few days just to keep it running. As I see it his policy on his car is still in force and I'm legal to take it out once in a while but am worried now that it will show up as uninsured on an ANPR check.

as long as you are insured to drive any vehicle, then i cant see an issue

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no they will ask to see your insurance policy, if it says any vehicle, you're ok

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi. While waiting for the insurance people to turn up, is it worth checking what kind of cover you have if you drive your son's car? I think sometimes it's only Third Party type cover.

As it's not all that long he will be unable to srive, I hope you find a solution and that he's better soon.

Illegitimi non carborundum

It is only 3rd party which is why I'd looked at adding my name to son's insurance as the best option but they want a three figure sum. I'd have gone along with a reasonable admin fee but I'm not paying that sort of money when adding a boring old biddy like me to his insurance should actually reduce his premium!

Ah yes, careful lady driver, I guess. I see what you mean about you being a better risk, but I don't pretend to understand how premiums are worked out.

Hopefully one of the insurance people, who are probably at work, will have a look later.

I hope you find a solution, HB.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hopefully one of the insurance people, who are probably at work, will have a look later

I am hoping so. I'd really like my original question 1 answered by someone in the know. I don't really understand how any database could be up to date enough to cope with something so temporary so do wonder if it was just a ploy by a nurse thinking she needed to frighten a young man into not driving.

As to how premiums are worked out - it's a mystery. My own insurance costs £19 more per year than the figure son's insurers are asking for to add my name for a month. His car is one group higher than mine:confused:

Ah yes, careful lady driver

A careful lady driver with a boringly good driving record. I've never had a claim and I've been done once for speeding - over ten years ago got done for 21mph in a 30kph zone in Germany. Even I know I'm the dullest person going:)