• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS - Here We Go Again

sazz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On another note, it's taken me from Monday afternoon until 28 minutes ago to get a full refund of charges totalling £70 which were from last weekend. I was over my 'authorised' OD by 1 working day...

:lol:

Result 1...

BOS next...

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

Cool - maybe this is a new tactic - don't argue if the claim is

Could be a case for asking for a refund for each charge individually - time consuming I know, but imagine the increase in their workload - they would probably explode!

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I have the advantage of livin up the road from the Headquarters. I called Customer services about it and naturally they were about as much help as a chocolate fireguard...

I bypassed my branch completely & asked for a senior customer relations manager or the equivilent. I was referred to Kevin Fagan. I have direct dial number also if that would be helpful? I sat down and explained my situation of being over my @authorised OD for 1 working day Monday past), & that the charges were for something I had funds for anyway. He gave me the charges Blah Blah schpeil but refused to budge.

I left him with the promise of a phone call (which I received on Wed) and I left him with a thanks and a preliminary approach for payment letter :twisted:

Needless to say it was passed thru to the branch and hey presto!, full refund! I'm going to leave it at that but I left the manager at the branch with a parting shot...

' The charges were applied AND debited on the same day (17th March) and by the banking Code, you're required to give notice blah... You should really know the banking code, you are a banker?!?!'....

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Great result - perhaps you can blow some good luck glitter at everyone else. BTW:

about as much help as a chocolate fireguard
I thought it was a chocolate teapot...

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Went into RBS branchnon Monday to get my student OD upped to 1500 from 1250 until tomorrow (Friday), so it would be for 5 days until I get some benefits into my account. I don't want to incur any more penalty charges and so I thought I was being responsible

I had the OD put on this morning, which kind of defeats the purpose of my asking for it since I've already incurred charges as a result of them stalling putting the OD increase on the account!!

Incidentally according to the banking code...

'5.5 Before we take interest or charges for standard account services from your current or savings account, we will give you at least 14 days' notice of how much we will take.'

Although the charges have been applid to my account on the same day + debited from my account the same day.

28 Mar 2006 CHG CARD MISUSE , CHQ 20.86, SERIAL NO 000031, CHQ 44.24, SERIAL NO 000030 - 70.00 -£1,319.69

28 Mar 2006 CHQ 000030 - 44.24 -£1,363.93

28 Mar 2006 CHQ 000031 - 20.86 -£1,384.79

28 Mar 2006 CHQ 000035 - 14.90 -£1,399.69

29 Mar 2006 CHG CARD MISUSE , CHQ 48.09, SERIAL NO 000033 - 35.00

So much for 14 days notice!?! I'm about to Email RBS about this and will post back...

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Hello all,

Having heard about this site on a local radio station in manchester i thought i would have a go at getting my bank charges back, i used a template letter from this site just tweeking it a bit to suit my situation. This morning i was given a refund of £500 which i am delighted with. In the letter that the bank sent me they stated that i am not allowed to disclose this refund to any thrid party, i feel that this is a attempt to stop everyone finding out the truth about bank charges.

Many thanks to all who run this forum and site.

All the best for the future and again many thanks !!

Thanks - Could you confirm what bank and was it after your first letter?

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

In the letter that the bank sent me they stated that i am not allowed to disclose this refund to any thrid party

Did you sign the letter?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had the overdraft put up until 10th April, as agreed in writing. I got my student loan on the 10th and waited until 11th April to start paying the gulf of bills, rent etc. Us students!

A few days later I check my balance and see in well over my limit and not sure how because I only spent what I was supposed to in the budget for my bills. I call the telephone banking & discover that the OD hadn't been reduced back to £1250 until 13th April. So I had spent money that wasn't physically there.

I went into the branch on Tuesday 18th & asked if I could extend the OD (again!) to £1500. I'm in the middle of exams for 1st year at uni, so I would be getting the increase for 2nd year limit in a few weeks anyways. Plus, I have cash coming in, as I always do, on the 1st of May so the OD would be covered. i've also obviously incurred charges for these payments as well, which means that my incapacity benefit AND income support is completely eaten up. This leaves me with no money for a fortnight...

She went to check with the manager & was told that they only increased it for me before as I had a student loan payment due into the account, & benefits wern't a form of income. So I'm stuffed for a fortnight. Actually, there are more charges and cheques pending so that will probs be eaten up also!!! AAARRGGH!!!!!

I came home yesterday really cheesed off to say the least. I thought, nah, time to just get ALL the charges on the account refunded. I've had it. They have also said they only refunded the previous charges as a goodwill gesture.... goodwill my ass, I'm hungry. The only option I have is to write cheque and let it get paid & incur another two charges for the privelige....

I started checking all my statements online from when it was opened since last year and have incurred over £500 so far, with about another 120 due at least. I also found two charges that were applied when i HAD money in the account in January. I have still been charged for card misuse to the tune of £70.

I went into the branch today and spoke to the same person I did yesterday & brought to her attention the two thefts from my account which I'd 'like' refunded.

She agreed there was funds and couldn't understand why the charge had been applied. She then went & spoke to the manager who then informed me that although the *available funds* showed a credit of £500 in cheque, it wasn't actually *available funds*. EH?!?! So what Royal Bank of Bob are telling me is that *available funds* doesn't acutally mean *available funds*? She replied 'for interest purposes', to which I replied, 'Aye, your interest, not mine'.

I then handed her the prelim letter for £570 and said I wanted the thefts back into my account in 24 hours, and will still be persuing the rest of charges as per my P&C preliminary letter to the branch manager! :cool:

Here it goes again!!!

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Ok so I am about to start the challenge! I was £1.98 overmy overdraft, as a result I accumulated £188 in charges for one month BEFORE they informed me. I then tried to settle and thought that an end to it and this month have received a FURTHER £184 in charges. So will keep you posted on how I get on!

Cool, but please start your own thread, it gets confusing for other people to follow :), plus you're hijacking mine!!

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by a friend who works for RBS that common law etc doesn't apply to banking, they are covered by financial law, so my claim isn't based on anything unlawful or illegal apparently!

He also mentioned Stephen, and stated that Lloyds were charging him illegally not like 'normal' banking charges and that it was a technicality that he was granted on....

Needless to say I argued with him but to no avail....

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

• 2 weeks later...

14 days are up today for LBA. I went up to the sheriff court yesterday & got all forms and some very helpful guides. I must say, the clerks were really helpful, I think they may have had a few people like me in recently!

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Receined a reply to my LBA this morning, just a pity that 14 days were up on 12th

'Private & Confidential

Dear Sazz,

Thanks for your letter of 28th April which has been passed to Customer Relations from your branch. I apologise for any dissatisfaction caused by the application of charges to your account.

We believe that our charges are fair, reasonable & transparent. We consider that the amounts debited to your account have been applied strictly in accordance with your agreement with us and our published tariff, which we are satisfied, complies with all applicable laws and regulations. We're also committed to ensuring the transparency of the infomation that we give to our customers about the operation of our products.

Against that background, we must differ to the views expressed in your letter. Accordingly, the charges that have been applied to your account must stand.

Therefore, this is the bank's final response to you on this matter. You may now wish to seek the opinion of the FOS & the enclosed leaflet, which is produced by the FOS tells you more about the scheme & how to contact them. You can also visit the website http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk & if you do write to the FOS then you should provide them with a copy of this letter within six months of the time that you receive it. You should also send copies of any documentation that you feel supports your case.

I am disappointed to note that you are contemplating legal action against the bank. Whilst I hope you will feel able to reconsider, should you decide to go ahead, please ensure that any proceedings are served on our registered office , which appears at the foot of this letter.

Tommy McLean

Customer Relations'

I hand delivered both my Prelim, which was responded to by an offer of £152, plus the taking away of my card & cheque book. I wrote back declining & gave LBA.

First off, the fact is I have an employee admit at the branch who did agree that 2 charges were applied when there was funds available, so they have clearly acted unlawfully there. I am going to check about calling witness's in Small Claims procedures. I have a whole load of info to read from the courts visit yesterday :) Plus, the fact of the matter is that they are all unlawful. It hasn't taken somebody any time to authorise or pay any payments through the system, nor do they do a full credit history to come to the conclusion that they will pay your £9 Direct Debit & charge you a shedload for the privilage!! Manual intervention doesn't exist for this task, but a flagging system on the computer does...

I take it since I can use this letter in a complaint to FSO I can also use it in court, should it get that far. It states Private & confidential at the top only.

Anyways, I'll be reading my small claims manuals over the weekend, then toddle off to the Sheriff court on Monday morning!

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Here's my particulars of Claim for tomorrow...

1. The Defendant is a high street bank. The Claimant has with the Defendant a current account, number XXXXXX, sort code: XXXXXX, with a personal overdraft presently set at £1250, since 8th July 2005.

2. Between 6th December 2005 and 24th April 2006 the Defendant deducted various amounts in respect of: ‘unauthorised borrowing fees’/‘unpaid item fees’/‘referral charges’. These were levied monthly if the account debit balance exceeded the specified overdraft limit or if a payment was honoured. (See attached schedule A).

3. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

4. The Claimant contends that the terms of the contract with respect to these charges are unfair and unlawful in light of the fact that:

I. They are punitive charges designed to penalise the Claimant for a breach of contract. That they unduly enrich the Defendant, which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to generating a profit. That under the law of penalties they are ‘extravagant’ and therefore unlawful.

II. They are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant and exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of the breach of contract on the part of the Claimant. It is averred that pursuant to paragraph 8 under schedule 2 (1)(e) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), (‘a term is unfair if it requires any consumer who fails his/her obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation’) and under the Unfair Contract Terms Act (1977), in which it is stated that a trader can only include a clause in the contract requiring a consumer to indemnify him against any loss he may incur through negligence or breach of contract if he can show that the clause satisfies the test of reasonableness, that the charges which have been applied to the Claimant’s account are unfair and therefore unenforceable at law.

III. In the event that the charges are not a penalty, then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982), s.15, which requires the supplier of a service to carry out that service for a reasonable charge.

IV. Under the law of mistake, the Claimant’s grounds for restitution are that the bank automatically debited the amount of the charge from the Claimant’s account and was not legally entitled to do so.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) The return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £727.00 plus £14.17 interest at 8% until 15th May 2006 plus interest continuing at the same rate of £0.22 pence per day until date of judgement pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act.

b) Court costs.

6. I believe that the facts stated in these particulars of claim are true.

Any suggestions or comments?

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

• 2 weeks later...

Summons served on branch on Friday!!

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

does this mean they didn't respond at all to the small claim?

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

GE Capital - counter claim 6/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

No, the claim was only served on Friday. I've just had the usual template replies full of lies from RBS in response to prelim letter & LBA!

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!!!

Guess what I got in the post today???

'Dear Sazz

We still believe that we are above UK law and your analysis is a pile of mince. However, in order not to actually appear in court, thus bringing effectively an end to unlawful charging, we will give you all the money you've asked for back.

Please note that this is full settlement as we want to get rid of you. Don't tell anyone about this payment or we will be vewy unhappy...

Blah Blah...'

Obviously not the actual letter but just thought I'd share the legal wonder that is RBS...

I sent back a letter stating 'full & final settlement for this claim.' I now need to sort out claim no.2 :)

Once payment's been received I'll post back...

Have it! :cool:

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Received my money back this morning into my account, but all of it was swallowed up on my hideously over its overdraft account!!! I've received another £610 in charges since end of April!! BAH!

I've made a donation regardless and will hopefully send you more, as claim 2 has begun....

;-)

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks