Is my Insurance valid?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if somebody can help me I am a 23 year old driver. I have been insured with more than car insurance for about six months last week I bought a new car, after the purchase, I was driving it home when I hit a parked car due to the icy surface on the road. The owner was not present at the time of the accident however; I left my details on the car.

I came home and transferred the insurance from my old car to the new one half an hour later. The driver of the parked car then put a claim through his insurance company and so did I. But I transferred the policy only after the accident. When the claim handler asked me for the time of the accident I wrongly said it to be after I had transferred the policy to my new car as I was panicking.

I know that the third party has given the correct time. I was wondering what could be the implications of this on my insurance/license and things in general.

I would be grateful for some helpful comments, as I am really down at this moment in time. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Kevin

The simple answer to that question is No your insurance was not valid.

You were driving a car that belonged to you without insurance. (Your own motor policy usually allows you to drive other vehicles that don't belong to you or have been hired to you, but this doesn't apply in this case)

Only at the point which you informed your insurers of the change of vehicle and they accepted the new vehicle onto your policy did your insurance become valid.

If your insurers realise what you have done they will refuse to pay out for the damage and will probably revoke your policy on the grounds of fraud.

Your best option is to ring them and explain fully the circumstances and come clean about your earlier lie, explain that you panicked. If you don't do this and they realise at a later date then you face prosecution.

Mossy